Tinnitus

I'll go and try and find her Monday myself as I don't know what message was passed on from the receptionist as she is unreliable. I'm just totally fed up of constantly explaining myself. People who have difficulty reading and writing don't get faced with these kinds of problems so why should problems with hearing be treated differently. The big one I'm worrying about is my music listening exam on Wednesday x

Check out jcq instructions for conducting exams and read through the pages on access arrangements. Unfortunately it isn't up to the exam board but the schools exam officer and the resources available.

Good luck with your exams.

Even children with diagnosed SEN don't necessarily get any adjustments to exams so it doesn't suprise me at all. Your statement about children who have problems reading/writing not having these problems is really not the case and they have to prove that they have very severe problems and apply a long time before exams for any special consideration. I think at this late stage you'd be looking more at applying to have it taken into account in the marking, have you checked with the exam board?

Edited by Moomin

Well I completed all my exams, with no adjustments and zero support or concern from the exam officers and invigilators. Yesterday and today I had a really bad cold so the ringing was much much worse. At one point during my English exam today it really got unbarable so I put my hand up explained and asked could I have five minutes outside just to get myself together and I was told no. So yeah not best pleased. I tried my best but I know it's affected my performance but not much I can do now. It's in the hands of the exam board what they decide to do(because I've given them a doctors paper)

In response to above, I also had to go through months of tests and assessments at the gp then ENT before my hearing loss and severity of tinnitus was diagnosed. That is why I couldn't give in anything to the school before because I had to wait until I was formally diagnosed

• 8 months later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread but because I understand how bad this must have been for you anaballeria I just wanted to share our situation with you.

My dd suffers with tinnitus and most of the time she copes ok but school, assessments, and quiet situations are the worst for causing a spike.

She's just been referred by GP for 'masking' hearing aids that she can wear at school

Just wanted to share that with you in case you can look into the same thing or similar for any future exams

:)

I know I'm bumping an old thread but because I understand how bad this must have been for you anaballeria I just wanted to share our situation with you.

My dd suffers with tinnitus and most of the time she copes ok but school, assessments, and quiet situations are the worst for causing a spike.

She's just been referred by GP for 'masking' hearing aids that she can wear at school

Just wanted to share that with you in case you can look into the same thing or similar for any future exams

:)

Thank you so much. Hope your DD is coping okay feel free to pm me if you or her want anyone to talk to it about who fully understands where you're coming from????

Completely forgot I had written this thread. Just incase anyone wanted an update I passed all of my exams. Ended up with A B B C which is not as good as I wanted but at least I passed them all. Now in my second term at ballet west and although T is still a problem I feel much more supported by staff here than I did in school at home