Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Will email re the 19th.

But just to say I have "formally" withdrawn from the current LAB production on the 5th July.

I saw the physio on Tuesday and as there has been some good progress with the foot but.....she didn't want to advise on a return to ballet just yet ......it still needs more resting but am doing some regular foot strengthening exercises now too. She said its a difficult point when it starts to feel a bit better and then off people go (not listening to the physio's advice) too soon back to their regular activities(running or whatever) and then end up a couple of weeks later back at square one again so to speak!!

So she would not be drawn on a date to return to even just one class a week but it could be around the beginning of July!!

Well this is too late now for LAB with the performance being on the 5th so sadly have had to withdraw. Tom is encouraging me to listen to the physio so can be fully fit by September!

However I will be turning up at both the rehearsal and the show day to offer help backstage or whatever is needed so will be around.

Also may be able to do a bit of class on the last week/two weeks .....not sure yet .......next physio visit is 24th June so possibly some time after that. I will know I'm really ready when I can do a really full demi plié without it hurting.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to here about your injury LinMM - I had to miss out on LAB last year and know how frustrating it can be. Time is a great healer so I sincerely hope that your injury improves and that this time next year you will be raring to go for the LAB summer intensive!

Also best of luck in San Francisco DavidW!

I was fortunate to take classes in London this week and on Wednesday in an entirely new venue - The Royal Ballet School! What fantastic facilities are available at RBS it felt such a privilege to be taking class there as part of the adult class programme. Also a fantastic teacher in Paul Lewis who took the class and teaches at RBS.

For anyone who is interested please see below for a link to the Wednesday adult class 7.00-8.30pm :

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/training/adult-ballet-classes/

London Russian Ballet School has also been redeveloped since I was last there and has some lovely new studios and exceptionally good teachers as always.

Finally rounding off the week at Pineapple with Ian Knowles class was a joy I always appreciate his endless enthusiasm for ballet!

• Like 2

Hi lartiste

Nice to see you surface again on this thread. I went to Paul’s class at RBS in February just after they started advertising it, then bookings was not as formal as the previous week they only had 15 adult dancers. I called in to reception on the Tuesday and booked my place with reception, I think there was only 8 on the list at that time, they were still taking booking until we went in on the Wednesday, then we had 34 or 35 dancers which was just a bit crowded. But never the less was a good class. Unfortunately I cant do that class on a regular basis as I with Angles Theatre which is on rehearsal from just after Christmas to their week of performances in July, so that’s getting close now.

Are you likely to do any of the remaining LAB Intensives this year?

Hi Lin
You will be our resident LAB make-up artist, so I hope you have been practicing as you will have 70+girls needing make up doing, so we all look like the girl in the make-up video, (I wish).

I had a disaster with our LAB tutu overlay material tonight. I took the kit down to my sisters as she regularly make soft toys and does alterations. However after laying the tutu bottom flat on her table (inverted), pinning it and cutting round. After creating the centre hole for me to try it on with the tutu base, it was about half an inch short on the circumference due to the overhang of the tutu which we had not allowed for. So are you any good at sewing as there is a vacancy there too. I’m going to try and get some new material, but I’ve also ask Tom for some in case I cant. This time we will do the centre first using a template created from the old overlay, wear it over the tutu base and cut to size.

While on the train tomorrow I have elastics to sew on some black ballet slippers for La Sylphides, and ribbons to sew on pink satin ballet slipper used for the other scenes.

Lincoln was a good class tonight, only three of us again as several girls are away taking exams. Did a little more pointe work, but I will be pleased when my shows are over and I can get some real point work practice in.
At least I did get to chat to my teacher about our Christmas show arrangement as I’m trying to organise the possibility of doing Lincoln and City Academy’s show at the same weekend, both teachers have been extremely accommodating and its now looking quite feasible, its just down to the show organiser agreeing to accommodate my teachers request at City, then I can do City’s dress rehearsal and Lincoln show on the Friday and both City Performances at Sadler’s Wells on the Saturday, but unfortunately I will miss the Lincoln show for Saturday this year.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

Hmm sewing is not exactly a strong point either Michelle!! In fact I'm not that good at any of the traditional "womanly/wifely" skills in reality!!

If somebody says " just sew from ....this point to .......this point" ..... I could do it probably but don't ask me to cut out/design anything. I'm okay at hemming though and sewing elastic/ribbons onto ballet shoes and that's about it ;)

I could see that overlay thing wasn't going to be that easy.......I was trying to think which of my friends is any good at that sort of thing in fact. Apparently there's a very good dressmaker/seamstress who works from home and advertises in Saltdean so was thinking if push comes to shove......

Hi Lin

Unfortunately I could not find the colour match I needed for the tutu overlay from my local sewing shop, however I have acquired several other colours, but in that I have been able to create a template for them all. I’m hoping to pick up some more material from LAB tomorrow night and get the template checked out too

Tuesday was the usual rush in trying to make all my classes between Leeds and London on time in spite of the teacher over-runs. With only two minutes to spare by the time I got to Shoreditch. I know as I was travelling on foot dragging my suitcase on wheels I was passing everybody, I certainly was a woman on a mission; the adrenalin must have been flowing. The most remarkable thing that happened at the end of my ENB level 2 class, was as we were doing a repeated enchainement that used opposite diagonals where each sub-sequence ended with a glissard assemble. The assembles for me were significantly higher than usual even on my weakest foot. I’m not sure if it was as we normally do them at the end of the later level 3 class when I am more tired or not. However on the train home, my energy level was severely depleted, far lower than I could ever remember, so certainly something was very different.

Although being very stiff the morning after, I soon recovered.

I have spoken to one of my teachers for next year’s public show to allow me to go solo, she has agreed.

Hi Balleteacher

It will be something created from Le Corsaire, if you go back to post 1077 of this thread, that is a quite close to what I will be doing, I say close as it will be based on the same scene but will favour Bolshoi’s tempo with Kerov’s triple turn pirouettes with a little bit of my own choreography in the mix.

Only tonight at LAB we were talking about Le Corsaire as LAB has just launched what they call “SHORTS”, which is for the moment a two day, with one and half hour per day short courses. There is a total of six course, three are en pointe and the other three not. I have chosen to two of the non pointe courses which are “The Black Swan from Swan Lake” and Gamazatti Variation from Le Corsaire

As I wanted to be clear what variation we were to be taught, so I took the video example below for conformation

Then I was Introduced to Natalia Osipova’s version which is truly awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zLNW3aioL1w

I did say tongue in cheek to Tom of LAB, "if I couldn’t dance like that at the end of the course could I have my money back please", needless to say he just smiled.

There was me thinking how nice it would be to have a break when my shows are finished or at least the pace to be somewhat slower so I get to enjoy a little bit of my garden and home, but I think that is never destined to happen.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Most of the choreography from Corsaire is pretty advanced stuff so would need heavily adapting.

Have you ever looked at Coppelia Michelle?

There are some really nice variations eg "Prayer" which are demanding not quite such advanced technique. I have to admit you are brave to do a solo like this.

Have you thought of actually making up your own solo and so putting in the steps which you most enjoy and can look good doing. You could still use original music ....so again choose a piece of music you really love from the ballet to support you emotionally as well. But it doesn't have to be from an original solo piece and a bit of a tricky one at that.

Whoops just re read some above posts and you do say you are doing some of your own choreography.....rather than the exact original...so a good idea.

I love the idea of the LAB shorts by the way. Learning just one piece over two lessons. I hope Tom does more of these and if am at all fit enough by then would love to do the last one in August. However I think it is more the City's Nutcracker workshop in October which is more likely just at this stage but if Tom does do more shorts this would be great as each is only an hour and a half session......very appropriate for my particular situation. Still not absolutely sure will be able to return to all day workshops for quite a while yet just see how it all goes.

Have booked first ballet class back for July 1st ......a grade 3 BBO for a very gentle comeback.

Just one class a week and only jumping at the barre initially.......and for a while I think but will be great to be back again. :)

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

Hi Lin

If you had fully read my original post you will note the solo I’m doing is shown by Mimi I think, in post #1077, my own mix is definitely not to make it simpler, but nicer and more pleasing to the eye. But that solo will not be required until next year, in any case I know the solo pretty well, its just the pirouettes I need to take to triples that really needs the work.

As for Coppelia, I haven’t done anything from that classic yet, however I'm down to do ENB’s workshop at the Coliseum at the end of July, but no idea what scene it will be based on. It looks as if we will be doing something for our Lincoln Show on Coppelia but again its not been defined yet. It has taken a bit of organising to get me in that show for at least the Friday 5 December as I have a dress rehearsal with City at Sadler’s, fortunately via Rejane we have been able to pull that forward to the first slot at 1pm after the lighting technicians are done, which now leave me free to do the Lincoln show that evening. Sadly I will miss the Saturday’s Lincoln show, as I will be doing two shows at Sadler’s.

As for my own choreography, it now looks as if I will be doing a piece, totally new for my Salsa Groups Christmas party, I was ask last night by the organisers if I would as some will be coming to the LAB Gala and I have three already to come a see me at Sadler. Gosh what pressure, just love it.

Are you going to see Rejane’s group at City’s performance at “ALIVE” tonight as I will be there in the audience as will be many of our ballet workshop friends.

As for the Gamzatti variation, that music is growing on me, unfortunately there is little or no time for me to do prep on this one, the first session is also in the same week as the first Summer Intensive at RBS. Ah well hope the legs can take it as all my immediate shows will be out of the way by then.

The best fouettés I ever did were when I broke my foot and it was in a cast.  The cast really lent speed to that whipping foot.

Triple pirouettes take no more energy than a double - just use the spot for the impetus.

• Like 3

Now begins the frantic run up to performances with costume preparation and dress rehearsals. Tuesday see my first dress rehearsal with Northern Ballet at Leeds, this was the first time we had run our show piece on that stage. After about the first 15 minutes everyone became reoriented with the new geometry of the stage against the practice studio, the most marked difference the dancers commented on was the loss of the mirror which was in the direction where the audience would be in the studio setting. We had full technical support present for both sound and lighting which replicated exactly what we would be sensing on the day of show with the exception of the audience applause. Terpsichore was also present strutting her stuff in the rehearsal.

After the rehearsal several of the dancers were not happy with the costume arrangements which is a black top or leotard with black leggings and pink ballet slippers and tights with a wide coloured silk scarf warn predominantly as a wrap round skirt, others had it as a sash. I suggested adding in a black chiffon wrap round skirt with the coloured sash on top. Unfortunately not everyone has the skirt so I will be taking a few in to help out with those that don’t have on.

While I had the opportunity I raised the question of participation in Christmas performance for adult ballet. That request has now been submitted formally to the appropriate person in Northern Ballet for consideration.

My train journeys that day was spent sewing elastic and ribbons to ballet shoes and that’s not particularly easy on a bumpy ride, but it did make the time pass quickly.

Wednesday was pre-dress rehearsal at the Angles Theatre, unfortunately I was late for this on due to an accident which blocked the A17 on my journey to Wisbech in Cambridgeshire. That meant a large detour, but I was only about 5 minutes late. My teacher told me we were not doing costumes tonight as some hadn’t brought theirs, but I could were mine if I wished. For me a dress rehearsal is a dress rehearsal and its about replicating as much as possible .of the actual performance. I put mine on (White leotard dress), several of the other girls did the same. The costume arrangement for this one is a combination of half of the girls in black leo dresses with the other half in white and those dancers positioned in alternating colours for each of the formations we go through. There was no technical support for this one, it was very basic with light full fully illuminating the stage and audience seating, no scenery present or strategically place curtains, its was just bar walls at the back of the stage.

Called at my sisters on the way home to pickup some tutu overlays she had been making for my LAB performance, only to find one that did not fit in spite of creating a template for it first. That was corrected while I was there, as its needed for the Thursday night group photo shoot at rehearsal in RAD HQ. Our LAB full dress rehearsal takes place on Sunday at ENB with the Gala on the following Saturday 5 July.

It really is frantic getting everything together before it needed, I have a large running check list and three piles of costumes and accessories for the three different type of shows I am doing. There is 9 shows in all.

• Like 3

It was very nice to see Michelle_Richer on Tuesday and I look forward to seeing her again on Saturday. This performance is a first for me and I am very apprehensive. It is clear from the videos that one of our friends has taken that I am a long way behind the rest of the cast in terms of native ability and accomplishment but I am working hard to learn my steps and indeed improve my technique and will give it my best shot on Saturday. I just hope that not too many members of the audience ask for their money back.

I have kept away from this forum for the last month because I was embarrassed by the offence I caused by an article I adapted from my publication. It was intended to be funny and worked in the context for which it was written but it went down like a led balloon here. The publication now has other writers so no longer refers just to me. For that reason I am thinking of adopting a different nom de plume for anything I may contribute here in future. If I do contribute again I shall be a lot more careful about what I say.

• Like 1

Terpsichore - I wish you all the best for your performance on Saturday and please do not worry about your ability or being behind the rest of the cast.  I think a member of the audience will always appreciate someone who is doing their best and showing their love of dance.  When I have watched amateur performances in the past - the ones who have stood out to me for the wrong reasons have always been the ones that looked like they did not want to be there, who looked miserable and uncomfortable.  So smile and enjoy the experience.  And just for the record - I suspect you are your own harshest critic and notice any mistakes you make more than anyone else.

• Like 6

I would agree with the comments above. In my experience, adults who most doubt themselves are nearly always better than they think they are. In fact it is v common for adults to doubt themselves in terms of their ability. Part of it is the dancing as an adult confidence issue but I think in part the other side of it is when adults truly grasp just how difficult ballet is to learn. In a way I see this as a positive sign as it creates a great mindset for learning. It's important to understand you are performing as an adult with v little experience. Just compare that with the years of full time training that a professional would have gone through to perform even a small part in the corps de ballet. It puts it in perspective. If you can be kind to yourself and adjust your expectations at this stage in your journey I am sure this will allow room for you to also let in the magic of performing on stage. Concentrate on the music as this will also bring your performing to life. I very much doubt you would look way behind the others as you sound way too self aware and aware of your peers. That type of thing only happens when dancers are not attuned to the rest of the performers and able to take feedback/reflect upon their performance and apply corrections.

• Like 7

Good luck Michelle and Terpsichore for Saturday - enjoy yourselves! And Terpischore please don't worry, as others have said we can see our own faults far more and judge ourselves far more harshly than we do others. I've seen you dance in class and your sheer enthusiasm for doing it shines through - I am sure you'll be an absolute pleasure to watch on stage.

I've been attending an assortment of ballet classes with two different teachers over the last few weeks, not as many as I would like to (and none this week :( ) due to various other commitments - thankfully those are also things I enjoy doing rather than tedious commitments, but I do feel a bit creaky from lack of movement this week!

My happiest bit of ballet news from the last few weeks is getting back en pointe - I have been wearing my old pointe shoes (which are still OK but on their last, erm, legs) but have now been fitted for some new ones and can often be found wandering round the house trying to break them in :) I'm exhausted by the end of the half-hour pointe class but can feel myself getting stronger. I'm actually quite astounded by all the muscles that have appeared in various places over the last few months :lol:

• Like 5

Good luck for the Northern Ballet show at the weekend Terpsichore and Michelle. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience. And Terpsichore I've seen you dance too on a few Mondays now (I was the one in the bright-ish blue leotard this week) and you don't need to worry! Performing is such a buzz and your passion and commitment will definitely show.

As the others have mentioned we can all be our worst critics and it's something that I struggle with all the time. After a bit of a tearful moment at the end of the advanced class one week, when I felt like I couldn't keep up with the others and was making a fool of myself, my teacher told me to stop being a perfectionist and getting upset when I couldn't do something first time. She said that I was better than I thought I was and if she didn't think I could cope she wouldn't have let me do the class.

Her best bit of advice was to think about why I was doing the classes, and that it didn't matter what level anyone else was at because what mattered was that I was there for me not anyone else. As long as I was enjoying myself, learning and improving then in didn't matter what anyone else could do. 

• Like 6

That last paragraph is so true VBee!

All the best to Michelle and Terpsichore for Saturday Hope it all goes well for you both.

Terpsichore glad to see you back hope you will continue to post here.

Michelle will see you on Sunday at ENB for the LAB rehearsal .......but as a helper....well I hope more of a help than a hindrance at any rate you will be exhausted by Sunday eve!!

I am on a weeks delay back to ballet so first class back now is on Monday 7th July as physio wanted me to do some new exercises for another week as right calf muscle is still a bit tight and might be restricting the ankle a bit .......which is feeling much better....but no grand plies or jumping just yet. I'm hoping to be on two classes a week by August a grade 3 and then a grade 4 and if all goes well can be back in my usual grade 6 by September/October. Will keep up the Pilates class though too.

I can't wait for the 7th anyway.

• Like 6

Good luck for the Northern Ballet show at the weekend Terpsichore and Michelle. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience. And Terpsichore I've seen you dance too on a few Mondays now (I was the one in the bright-ish blue leotard this week) and you don't need to worry! Performing is such a buzz and your passion and commitment will definitely show.

As the others have mentioned we can all be our worst critics and it's something that I struggle with all the time. After a bit of a tearful moment at the end of the advanced class one week, when I felt like I couldn't keep up with the others and was making a fool of myself, my teacher told me to stop being a perfectionist and getting upset when I couldn't do something first time. She said that I was better than I thought I was and if she didn't think I could cope she wouldn't have let me do the class.

Her best bit of advice was to think about why I was doing the classes, and that it didn't matter what level anyone else was at because what mattered was that I was there for me not anyone else. As long as I was enjoying myself, learning and improving then in didn't matter what anyone else could do. 

I remember that class! And I still think it was the combination of pushing yourself physically through 4 hours of ballet without re-fuelling as well as the general "arrrrgggghhh, what is this? what is this?" that we all get in Em's Advanced sessions ;) You're still a silly-billy for being so critical of yourself, though, especially when you are so naturally suited towards ballet with dem legs and dem feet!!

I'm sure all the dancers performing at the NB Academy showing on Saturday will enjoy it and forget about their concerns once they hit the stage :) Terpsichore has put in some extra time with me today to make sure that she is well prepared for the performance! She already manages to communicate her love for dance and her sheer joy at being able to dance through her expressiveness and performance quality so in my eyes she really has nothing to worry about....I hope you are reading this, Terpsichore!! :)

• Like 8

Terpsichore on the day once the introduction in the music starts you wont have time for nerves, you will be counting the introduction in and on the third set you will go, as I think you and your partner for that piece pass infront of me, we basically leave opposite wings at the same time. Besides before that we are in darkness. You are going to be absolutely fine, remember they are a lovely bunch of ladies to dance with.

Anyway have you thought about joining us for the Christmas show if I can persuade Northern to do it.

Tonight at LAB was fantastic, we started with a group photo shoot in our tutu’s with the show overlay on it, I think one of the photo will be incorporated in the program for the show. Our barre session was quite short about 15 mins, then we went strait into rehearsing rep, our school has 5 scenes to perform in the show, all were performed tonight twice, but in different studios, however I’m only in three scenes as I didn’t join until Term 2.

Friday is a sort of ballet free day and I’m not even dancing Salsa which I usually do, Instead it’s a bit of a beauty day, I need to try my skills at mastering stage makeup. I think I have most products that I need although on the day I will only take what I require to minimise weight. However apart from having my hair done Im having eyebrows and eye lashes done too.

So Lin how is your beauty training coming along as most of us will need your expert touch at some time or other.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your kind wishes. I have prepared for the performance as well as I can.  That of itself has been useful for I have learned a lot. I will do my best. One can do no more.

I am looking forward to the experience. To perform in the theatre of a leading ballet company before a paying audience in a great city is a once in a lifetime delight. For a few brief minutes I will know how it feels to be a dancer. I will experience the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre from a new angle: the one that is familiar to the likes of Martha Leebolt, Kenneth Tindall, Cira Robinson, Sarah Kundi, Tobias Batley and all my other favourite dancers.

Skydancer has very kindly agreed to review the whole show including our bit.

My daughter manquée, her husband and little boy are coming up from London to see the show. If he is good I shall give him Anna Kemp's "Dogs Don't Do Ballet" which Chris Marney is turning into a children's ballet for Ballet Black. 

• Like 7

I'm sure all the dancers performing at the NB Academy showing on Saturday will enjoy it and forget about their concerns once they hit the stage :) Terpsichore has put in some extra time with me today to make sure that she is well prepared for the performance! She already manages to communicate her love for dance and her sheer joy at being able to dance through her expressiveness and performance quality so in my eyes she really has nothing to worry about....I hope you are reading this, Terpsichore!! :)

I want to acknowledge some debts to Skydancer. First, she helped me tremendously on Thursday in the way she described above. Secondly, she has contributed some wonderfully insightful and passionate articles to our publication. As I said before I can no longer monopolize the name Terpsichore because the publication is now as much hers as it is mine. Thirdly, she has encouraged me to venture outside my comfort zone. I would never have heard of Chantry Dance had it not been for Skydancer and it was the experience of appearing on stage with her and two other gifted dancers that prompted me to have a go today.

Anyway have you thought about joining us for the Christmas show if I can persuade Northern to do it.

I think a Christmas show is a very good idea and I said so on Tuesday.  

Whether I can participate in such a show will depend on how much time would be required for rehearsals and extra classes.   I have to speak at a conference in Paris in French in November and to attend a conference in Geneva in December.   I will probably also have trials, appeals and other hearings to prepare for and papers to do.  

I took a lot of time off work over the last few weeks in order to make time for extra classes and I can't keep that up for ever.   After today I shall revert to no more than 2 hours a week.

• Like 2

I want to acknowledge some debts to Skydancer. First, she helped me tremendously on Thursday in the way she described above. Secondly, she has contributed some wonderfully insightful and passionate articles to our publication. As I said before I can no longer monopolize the name Terpsichore because the publication is now as much hers as it is mine. Thirdly, she has encouraged me to venture outside my comfort zone. I would never have heard of Chantry Dance had it not been for Skydancer and it was the experience of appearing on stage with her and two other gifted dancers that prompted me to have a go today.

I took a lot of time off work over the last few weeks in order to make time for extra classes and I can't keep that up for ever.   After today I shall revert to no more than 2 hours a week.

There are no debts to acknowledge, Terpsichore! Although I am glad I was able to help you on Thursday, especially since this performance is a very special one to you personally. LinM is right when she says you'll want to do it all over again :) If anything I owe a debt to you for asking me to contribute to Terpsichore and for providing me with a platform where my articles do get read by an audience. Very few people read my blog http://skydancermel.wordpress.com/, even my friends (or if they do they don't comment or discuss the things I raise in my posts with me), so I am very grateful to you for the opportunity to write for an audience!

Even though I do recommend that you calm your schedule down a bit after the show I hope you will still be coming to Fiona's Monday night classes at Hype!

• Like 1