An update from Northern Ballet - from an email to supporters

We wanted to update you on some news that will be shared publicly today.  Even with the generosity of our supporters, like many arts organisations, Northern Ballet still remains under financial pressure, brought about largely by rising production and touring costs. As we first announced in September 2023 this has impacted the entire organisation - with a reduction in headcount across administrative staff, technical staff and dancers - and these financial pressures also led to the difficult decision to perform some productions to recorded music.  

We remain committed to performing to live music as much as possible, and we firmly hold the position that live music is integral to our artistic vision. The difficult reality of the current landscape in the arts industry means that we have to explore new ways of working.  

To continue to navigate this challenging financial landscape, we are in the early stages of exploring a strategic partnership between Northern Ballet and Opera North, in which the Orchestra of Opera North would perform alongside the dancers of Northern Ballet.  

The two organisations will remain entirely independent, while collaborating to ensure that audiences continue to have access to live, large-scale ballet and opera in their local theatre. A partnership would build financial resilience for both organisations and provide Northern Ballet with a route to return to performing to more live music than our current circumstances allow.   

We are maintaining a dialogue with members of Northern Ballet Sinfonia as we are conscious of how challenging the past 12 months have been for them, and that in pursuing a partnership with Opera North, this will impact on the livelihoods of a group of freelance musicians who have had a long and cherished association with the company.  However, our priority has to be ensuring both the financial stability of Northern Ballet and to find a route to perform to live music as much as possible.  

We will now work closely with the Musicians’ Union to ensure we can continue to create opportunities by touring new work and revivals across the UK with world-class dancers, production values and live music.  

If you have any questions, please contact us and we will be happy to answer them. In the meantime, thank you for your continued loyalty and support. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Anything to hopefully increase the live music performances and hopefully the security of the Company as well is great news. Good on Federico and the management and arts teams for thinking of this innovative solution. Even if nothing comes of it, it shows they're exploring every avenue in order to keep the live music that adds so much to the performance.

• Like 1

I feel very sorry for the members of the Northern Ballet Sinfonia. I don't know anything about Opera North's repertoire or schedule so I don't know how good a fit this might be, but I can see the thinking behind it. I do wonder though, if this goes ahead, for how long the two companies would in fact remain completely separate. Maybe we'd eventually see a NBO...

• Like 2

Exactly @bridiem, I feel so sad for the members of the Northern Ballet Sinfonia.

This is now on the Opera North website:  https://www.operanorth.co.uk/news/an-update-from-opera-north/

Opera North seems to go to most of the northern touring dates that NB does.

I would wonder what the Musicians' Union makes of this as no MU members would participate in recording the scores that NB needs...

On the face of it, it seems a sensible move but I just feel that it seems like a kick in the teeth for the NB Sinfonia members many of whom have been with the company for over 20 years.

• Like 2