Good ROH Seats for a Short Person

Hello,

I am planning a trip to London in June of next year to see Alice! It will be my first time at the RBO (I am coming from the US) and it’s been a dream of mine! Problem is, I’m very short (4’11’’) and I was wondering which seats will be best for me to get. I worry about not enough rake in different sections since I’m nir familiar with the theater. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appreciate all help! 

52 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

I have thought of asking for a booster seat before when some insanely tall person sits in front of me … that’s the truth

I have asked for and used one once. I am short and I had the tallest man I've seen sitting in front of me once! 😂 I was advised to get one from a member of staff. I have to say, it was really uncomfortable though.

There are two types of booster seats and some (the cushion ones) seem a lot more comfortable than the plastic ones! I'm not sure which type the ROH has, but if it's the plastic ones it could indeed be a good idea to bring your own cushion.

My husband is very tall (with a big head too!) and I ALWAYS book seats in back rows where there is no chance that anyone will end up sitting behind him. If there's only one seat left in a back row, we sit separately. It's for purely selfish reasons - I can't relax and enjoy the performance if I know that the person behind us has their view blocked by my husband's 190cm frame!  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Marcie said:

I’ll get a booster seat just in case! I’m sure it will help!! Do I just ask for it once in the theater? Thanks for all the answers everyone!!

If you ask at the ushers’ desk when you get to the old foyer they will get you one. Or you can ask the usher at your point of entry to the auditorium.  

2 hours ago, Marcie said:

Hello,

I am planning a trip to London in June of next year to see Alice! It will be my first time at the RBO (I am coming from the US) and it’s been a dream of mine! Problem is, I’m very short (4’11’’) and I was wondering which seats will be best for me to get. I worry about not enough rake in different sections since I’m nir familiar with the theater. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really appreciate all help! 

A lot of suggestions here, but surely if budget allows front of the donald gordon. Its by far the best, guaranteed unimpeded seat imo but its the most expensive seat in the house. However, if its a special trip over... 

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Good ROH Seats for a Short Person

Do bear in mind, though, that the photos don't show the person sitting in front of you!  (They also don't show how much of the stage is actually visible from your seat.)

I'd say front row Stalls Circle/Grand Tier/Balcony/Amphitheatre, depending on your budget, because that way you won't have anyone in front of you.  But probably don't go too far round the horseshoe or you will lose too much of the stage.  While standing round the curve in row D of the Stalls Circle the other night I was reminded that Alice in particular is a ballet where you really do need to see the height of the back of the stage for greatest benefit.  (And make sure you can see into the Orchestra Stalls from wherever you sit :)

Welcome to the forum, BTW :)

• Like 3

I am also on the short side, but I was refused a booster seat when I asked for one on the grounds that they were for children only.  I think the ROH would sell far fewer expensive seats in the stalls if the view from the seat showed exactly what it looked like when there are people in front of you.  Also, it really annoys me that often it is the taller people who get the seats with the best sight lines.  I got a seat in row B in the stalls once, and the entire row in front seemed to consist of huge individuals completely blocking my view.  

Bring in seats with a height restriction for taller people, that's what I say!  :D

• Like 3

The ROH uses the plastic booster cushions and not only are they uncomfortable- you find yourself constantly slipping off them - but they can also deflate during the course of a performance. 

I frequently sit in the back row of the amphitheatre for opera and would always bring my own cushion in preference to the plastic ones which, I would say, need a coat or scarf draped over them for comfort. One co-back row attendee used to pile up a little tower of three cushions although obviously this could only be done on the back row of any level. 

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

I am also on the short side, but I was refused a booster seat when I asked for one on the grounds that they were for children only.  I think the ROH would sell far fewer expensive seats in the stalls if the view from the seat showed exactly what it looked like when there are people in front of you.  Also, it really annoys me that often it is the taller people who get the seats with the best sight lines.  I got a seat in row B in the stalls once, and the entire row in front seemed to consist of huge individuals completely blocking my view.  

Bring in seats with a height restriction for taller people, that's what I say!  :D

I'm with you there, @Fonty 😂

• Like 1