Sunday Associates & Private Lessons at RAD

mumofdd

My 14 year old daughter is considering applying to be an associate somewhere in London, but she does not want to spend a full day every week there as she feels this will be too much on top of everything she does during the week.  In addition, we live in Norfolk, so will need to travel quite a distance.  DD very much enjoys her Saturday classes at her current dance school and so a Sunday would be preferred.

Where would you recommend please?  She studies RAD, but has also recently taken her IDTA Intermediate ballet exam which she passed with Distinction.  

Something else I'm thinking may be worthwhile instead of/in addition to associates is having a private lesson at the RAD head quarters once a fortnight or monthly.  Has anybody's child attended the RAD for private lessons and did they find this enhanced their technique and performance skills?  My daughter studied RAD Intermediate for 19 months, but this class has now been "parked" at her school and has been replaced with Discovering Repertoire Level 2.  I don't want the Intermediate syllabus to go out of my daughter's head between now and when the grade is reintroduced in 12-18 months' time.  So, I'm wondering if a private lesson with the RAD would be beneficial.

Edited by mumofdd

London Junior and Senior Ballet: pretty much weekly, venue is Arts Ed in Chiswick. Quite a hidden gem as they’re not that active on social media. Teaching is excellent, they have a timetable on their website. Amazing class sizes (not too big!) so everyone gets a lot of attention. A proper timetabled pointe class every week which is actually rare I find for associates schemes. Often pointe in other places is just tagged on to other classes, or only half an hour or so.

Ballet Boost: 8 times a term I believe. Venue is Rambert near Twickenham (not quite sure of exact address)

Dance Enhance: connected to BBA, roughly monthly I think? Venue is RBS in Covent Garden. Ballet and contemporary. 

Those are the Sunday ones I know in central London.

If you’re willing to travel further out, there’s Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy (6 times a term), GradPro YNSA (classes are in the BRB studios in Birmingham, monthly) and Nicola Tarry Classical Ballet Sunday Associates in West Kingsdown (weekly, but every other week is taught by Nicola and the other weeks by guest teachers, I think).

Just to say also that there always seem to be stuff happening in London on Sundays. Lots of masterclasses etc. I know Danceworks often have masterclasses on Sundays taught by RB dancers. International Ballet Intensives also has some on Sundays, there is a pas de deux one scheduled in December at Sadler’s Wells. Sian Murphy and Mica Bradbury sometimes hold masterclasses, usually on Sundays I think, at the ROH. Dance Forward also.