White Lodge News

Doing Dance 1

This sounds like a really positive update! 

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2024/10/07/changes-to-white-lodge-training-programme-progression/?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2024_OCT_ALL_LATEST_NEWS&utm_term=WL-changes&utm_content=image

‘Effective immediately, the School will no longer require students to audition at the end of the Foundation Programme in Year 9 to enter the Development Programme in Year 10. Instead of an audition, the School will implement a more tailored and supportive assessment process, like that in Years 7, 8 and 10.  

This decision allows The Royal Ballet School to ensure a holistic approach, enabling students, especially in Year 9, to focus on their training and education and reducing stress and anxiety for both students and parents.’

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, academicdancer said:

This sounds positive, although surely the y9s will still be auditioning elsewhere during audition season to increase the chances of staying in vocational training for y10 and 11?

Why increase the chances? Under this rule, if they're happy at WL they can stay.

4 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

A game changer for British ballet, and a very positive one! Bit gutting for anyone who turned their place for fear of only being there for three years but you can’t please everyone!

Also gutting for this who recently went through this process in February and weren’t kept on. 8 girls and 3 boys no less. Had they had been in the year below then they wouldn’t have gone through all that upset, anxiety and stress.. parents included. 
The finer details parents have received does in fact state that children could still be asked to leave during year 8&9 if they think that being at the school is not in their best interest. Basically out the back door. 
I do wonder if this is to do with money and reputation rather than the students mental health… call me a cynic 

• Like 8

It certainly doesn’t sound like a guarantee of 5 years. It just sounds similar to how it was before, no mass assessing out at year 9 but maybe a couple of students leaving (advised to leave) perhaps in Year 8, 4 or so in Year 9 etc. I remember years ago parents mentioning they and their DCs only feeling relatively stress-free in year 7 and year 10. I wonder if this “new” system will make a difference in the numbers that will get through to upper school all the way from year 7. I do feel for those who had to go through the “old” system recently, the last 2-3 years. But also those who aren’t in the school yet but have been spending a LOT of time and money on training and preparing the last couple or so years for that all important audition to get in at year 10, as this means there won’t be as many places available in Year 10 as previously (though I’m not actually sure anyone from the U.K., locally trained, got a year 10 place last year.) But this is new senior management, so perhaps all good changes. Certainly I’ve noticed a significant spike in social media activity, sometimes multiple posts in one day, and increasingly featuring current students. I think this also means that it will be harder to turn down a WL place, though admittedly even in the last few years I can probably count with one hand those who actually did. It’s extremely rare, even for those who were previously critical of the school prior to offers. The name has and always will be hard to resist.

• Like 3

Taking a place in year 7 has always been a gamble because at that age it’s almost impossible to know what that young dancer will be like at 16. WL students have always been aware that there are no promises involved when given a place. If they were to guarantee 5 years then there is an even greater chance that none of those students make it into the upper school. It’s a Darwinian process of elimination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm always a bit uncomfortable about the idea that students are aware that there is no guarantee that they'll stay at the school for 5 years, and that they could be assessed out at almost any time, because in my experience of hope and dreams, you never think it will happen to you. Very few would set out on that path if they did. 

I would also like to add that my son was assessed out at the end of year 9 - was fortunate to gain a place at another vocational school with MDS for year 10.  I feel it was the best thing that could have happened - he was infinitely happier, and better suited, at the second school.  However, we would never have had the nerve to give up his place at the more "prestigious" first school.  He would have dragged along at the bottom of his year, overlooked for everything and with questionable academic results.  Assessing out isn't necessarily the worst thing however unpleasant at the time.  

It has in no way affected his future employment prospects - he's never been out of work and has reached the grand old age of 27 and is still dancing - although how much longer is up for debate.

• Like 8

I like the words 'supportive' and  ' holistic'

My dd was well aware she may be assessed out. It was made clear from the beginning. It was the way it was done, with no support or respect or dialogue of any kind, as though she'd never really been there at all, despite 5 years of training. 
I am very happy with the changes that have come about this year and will wait and watch with interest to see how things develop.

If the changes mean RBS take more responsibility for their training, then that will be a huge step forward for everyone.

I too hope that students will be taken on for the full 3 years in Upper School and not have to leave without their degree they worked so hard for.

Edited by Ruby Foo
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Taking a place in year 7 has always been a gamble because at that age it’s almost impossible to know what that young dancer will be like at 16. WL students have always been aware that there are no promises involved when given a place. If they were to guarantee 5 years then there is an even greater chance that none of those students make it into the upper school. It’s a Darwinian process of elimination. 

This is exactly my point about RBS finally taking responsibility for their own training. 
Of course, there are many reasons why a number of students won't be suitable for further training with RBS and hopefully they will know in plenty time what the situation is and be supported towards their future goals.... that means effort and time and dedication by RBS who have had the privilege of working with them for the previous 5 years.

But if the admission process is thorough and the training is excellent, then one would hope the majority would be suitable for Upper School. 

• Like 5

On 08/10/2024 at 20:23, MissEmily said:

A game changer for British ballet, and a very positive one! Bit gutting for anyone who turned their place for fear of only being there for three years but you can’t please everyone!

It was one of the reasons we turned WL although not being able to afford the fees was the first reason!!!

On 08/10/2024 at 22:01, Neverdancedjustamum said:

It certainly doesn’t sound like a guarantee of 5 years. It just sounds similar to how it was before, no mass assessing out at year 9 but maybe a couple of students leaving (advised to leave) perhaps in Year 8, 4 or so in Year 9 etc. I remember years ago parents mentioning they and their DCs only feeling relatively stress-free in year 7 and year 10. I wonder if this “new” system will make a difference in the numbers that will get through to upper school all the way from year 7. I do feel for those who had to go through the “old” system recently, the last 2-3 years. But also those who aren’t in the school yet but have been spending a LOT of time and money on training and preparing the last couple or so years for that all important audition to get in at year 10, as this means there won’t be as many places available in Year 10 as previously (though I’m not actually sure anyone from the U.K., locally trained, got a year 10 place last year.) But this is new senior management, so perhaps all good changes. Certainly I’ve noticed a significant spike in social media activity, sometimes multiple posts in one day, and increasingly featuring current students. I think this also means that it will be harder to turn down a WL place, though admittedly even in the last few years I can probably count with one hand those who actually did. It’s extremely rare, even for those who were previously critical of the school prior to offers. The name has and always will be hard to resist.

There were quite a few that turned down the year 7 places for 2023 intake. There were five girls that declined their places for Sept 23 and all are now MAs.

Ability to afford fees the primary reason even with MDS. When you are in a ‘reasonable earner’ bracket but can’t afford the means tested fees 😢 but also with the fear of the three year element. So happy it has changed ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainbowmum said:

There were quite a few that turned down the year 7 places for 2023 intake. There were five girls that declined their places for Sept 23 and all are now MAs.

Ability to afford fees the primary reason even with MDS. When you are in a ‘reasonable earner’ bracket but can’t afford the means tested fees 😢 but also with the fear of the three year element. So happy it has changed ❤️

Yes, I remember at the time thinking it was definitely a bumper year, a bit of an outlier year. And actually wondered what prompted such a spike. 

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
  • Like 1