Royal Ballet intensive prices and funding 2025

Lucianna12

Hello, we were considering applying for the royal ballet intensives this year for the first time but I’ve just noticed the prices. Is it an error or is it always £1440? 
Has anyone had any success with funding if their household income is over the 30k threshold? 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet intensive prices and funding 2025

It's ridiculous if they think that a family with an income of just above £30k could afford to spend almost 5% of their gross income on a week of ballet for one student.

I'd never even consider spending that much on a single week intensive. We don't spend that on a week's family holiday for 4!

• Like 4

It’s mad. My daughter has always enjoyed her time there (mainly because of the social aspect I suspect) but we won’t apply this year. Everyone I’ve spoken with say the same, or that they’ll apply just to see if they get in, with no intention of accepting any potential offers. Perhaps it will be easier to get in this year, with more movement on the waitlist than usual

3 hours ago, Medora said:

It’s mad. My daughter has always enjoyed her time there (mainly because of the social aspect I suspect) but we won’t apply this year. Everyone I’ve spoken with say the same, or that they’ll apply just to see if they get in, with no intention of accepting any potential offers. Perhaps it will be easier to get in this year, with more movement on the waitlist than usual

Anyone who is applying to see if they get in is absolutely bonkers. It’s basically £40 to post on instagram that your child got RBS spring intensive with no intention of actually going  is nuts. Ballet makes people soft in the head. 

• Like 6

I'm not in this game any more, but feel it would be really helpful for parents if the schools made it clear whether the price advertised includes VAT. I think they will have to charge VAT for these courses, so that price hike makes sense.

It is not just the big Vocational schools that will be forced to impose VAT.  Every local dance school whose turnover is above the VAT threshold already has to register for VAT and add it to some of their invoices.  Until now classes that were educational were exempt, and it was a grey area as to which classes they were e.g. classical ballet, exams etc. So schools which fell below the threshold may now be above it. With the new law, if it is passed, all the classes will be liable for VAT. So I fear there will  be  chaos and some schools may have to close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not an expert in this area but agreed that VAT will probably also be charged on YBS fees - it’s an interesting one as the YBS summer intensive isn’t an activity provided by a private school (as is the case with Royal) but the fees they pay to the private school which hosts the intensives will now have VAT charged on them (which presumably has to be absorbed by the fees that YBS then charge). 

• Like 1

If YBS are charging VAT, then they offset the VAT charged by the private school and it'll make no difference in the end. If they're not charging VAT, they'll be charging the 20% or whatever it is.

With costs of UK summer intensives going up due to inflation/rise in costs of living as well as the VAT imposed on schools hosting the intensives, parents may well find that it is cheaper to go abroad for the summer intensive (even with the costs of airfare, transfers, etc added in to the usual course and board costs) and the teaching and programme is still as good as (or better than) staying in the UK for some summer intensives in England. It's worth researching, having a read of last year's threads about various intensives and comparing prices on thr organisations' websites. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

Anyone who is applying to see if they get in is absolutely bonkers. It’s basically £40 to post on instagram that your child got RBS spring intensive with no intention of actually going  is nuts. Ballet makes people soft in the head. 

I can totally believe this. The sad thing is that I bet a lot would still be willing to pay that £40 to be able to post on social media about a place, complete with RBS logo. Similarly, I also think the rise in the fees will hardly make a dent on the applications and people going. Time and time again I find that people find it hard to resist the RBS name - even for those who claim otherwise often. 

• Like 5

Well I am delighted to tell you that Ballet Boost and Performance Platform fees will not go up by more £30 for a full week, they are fully vocational courses (often staff end up at RBS or leave and end up at BB !) And special guests are brought in from overseas.

So it might be a good time to look across the UK at the many offerings that aren't under the banner of full time vocational yet offer the same level (if not higher) of courses, training and much more in terms of what the dancer takes away with them and ongoing support.

Remember it will never be the label that gets them from A to B but the experiences that shape them and the training that suits them best. It will always come down to how well they dance and no one will ask what intensive's they did.

We are in a time now where this is a lot of very good private training happening away from the big wigs and these dancers go on to be professionals without many of the scars too.

I speak for many excellent teachers in the UK.

So if the VAT is worry - remember there are so many options.

www.balletboost.com

18 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Believe they might have added the 20% VAT that government are talking about ( 20% of 1200 is 240 hence 1440) ... just a guess !

I felt sure the initial increase from £925 last year to £1200 would be the VAT increase, but yes, you’re probably right. Someone put it up accidentally without the VAT and then it was corrected. So inflation plus VAT = an extra £500 😬

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I can totally believe this. The sad thing is that I bet a lot would still be willing to pay that £40 to be able to post on social media about a place, complete with RBS logo. Similarly, I also think the rise in the fees will hardly make a dent on the applications and people going. Time and time again I find that people find it hard to resist the RBS name - even for those who claim otherwise often. 

Agree that many find it hard to resist the RBS name.  The daughter of a friend of mine auditioned for JAs last year and was placed on the waiting list, which I think involved some group video lessons, but her local dance school posted all over social media that she had ‘secured as place as a RBS junior associate’.  I doubt the RBS would be impressed with these sorts of half-truths but the temptation is obviously too great, such is the RBS brand. 

My daughter did the spring intensive last year and really enjoyed it, but I just don’t think we can justify it this year, particularly with travel costs into London & accommodation etc. We’ll be looking elsewhere.