Casanova in Riga - Kenneth Tindall version

I would welcome some advice from the people on the forum. 

I'm due to be in Riga later this year for work.  I note that they're doing the ballet of Casanova at Latvian National Opera and Ballet while I'm in town.  I know this was designed for NB but I didn't see it when NB did it as it was before I moved to Yorkshire so would welcome views on whether it's worth going to see.  Has anyone been to see this before and what did you think?  Is it worth expending money on a ticket.  Does anyone know how good or otherwise Latvian Ballet are?  I don't recognise any of the performers. 

I mean I'll probably go on spec anyway as tickets aren't expensive but would welcome any views from those who saw it so I know whether to get a good ticket or not.  

Also has anyone been to that Opera House before?  Is it dressy or not? 

• Like 1

Can't comment on Latvian Ballet but Casanova (all Kenny's work created for Northern Ballet in 2017) is absolutely brilliant.

Northern Ballet toured Casanova extensively across the UK on 2 tours in 2017 and 2022.  It has been shown on Sky Arts too.  As well as Riga it has been taken up by several US companies including Orlando Ballet.

• Like 4

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Casanova in Riga - Kenneth Tindall version

I saw Casanova on tv rather than in Sadler's Wells or another theatre (they toured it to London), and have seen two of the Latvian company's principals dancing the ribbon pas de deux from La Fille mal gardée in London: Sabīne Strokša and Philip Fedulov, who were a charming and fun Lise and Colas. The Riga Opera House looks beautiful in photos. 

I would certainly pop in to see it if already in Riga and had a free evening. I probably wouldn't splash out on the top price ticket but would try to get a reasonably comfortable seat. It's an entertaining ballet but a new work for this company, so I don’t know if it will be danced as well, worse or better by them. They are planning to use the same set, costume and lighting designs as Northern Ballet and the ballet is being staged by David Nixon and Dreda Blow (former NB dancer) so it should look pretty good.  🙂 

Never been to Riga before. The theatre website says:

"What should I wear to the Latvian National Opera? Each opera and ballet is a celebration in itself – that's why we recommend dressing up! The etiquette for opening nights and special events is to wear a dark suit." 

So it sounds like for normal performances there is no dress code but probably "smart casual" or something smart enough (eg to meet customers/bosses) without being overly elaborate or formal would be fine. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.  That's really helpful.  I have got a ticket for it which is quite exciting (and there wasn't a lot of choice so it's obviously popular).  I can't see casting announced but it's always a fun adventure seeing a company I don't know and deciding what I think of the performers.  

It's not opening night but I will (bearing in mind the temperatures in November) ensure I wear something smart, likely to be trousers and a cashmere sweater (doubtless with thermals underneath).  I like to dress up when I can.  

• Like 2

Another vote for Casanova.  Lovely narrative ballet by Kenneth Tindall.  Good use of scenery.  The super costumes remain in my memory.  

Most European opera houses are worth a visit for the building itself.  I often book tours if they have them to find out more about the history, layout and workings.   Or arrive early to investigate the public areas myself.  I wouldn’t wear thermals as it may be heated (I find the ROH to be overly warm).  

I’m sure the Latvian group will be of a good standard, with many dancers having had Vaganova style training.  They may be even better than Northern Ballet.  The company seems bigger too. 

• Like 2

I loved Casanova - incredible story telling at a pace (& with some relevant but quite explicit sections which make MacMillan love scenes seem quite tame). Wonderful set, costumes & lighting. And inventive & fluid choreography & use of scenery & props as part of the action. 
I’d love to see this again & what a bonus to see a company & opera house new to you Tango Dancer;- do seem to get to exciting places! Let us know your thoughts after please  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I loved Casanova - incredible story telling at a pace (& with some relevant but quite explicit sections which make MacMillan love scenes seem quite tame). Wonderful set, costumes & lighting. And inventive & fluid choreography & use of scenery & props as part of the action. 
I’d love to see this again & what a bonus to see a company & opera house new to you Tango Dancer;- do seem to get to exciting places! Let us know your thoughts after please  

Thanks, I always try and go and see something when I'm away even if it can be a bit random because I don't usually schedule trips to coincide with the cultural activity (remembering some very odd plays and a very weird production of Don Giovanni in Berlin set for some reason in futuristic brothel) so it can be pot luck.  It sounds like this time I'm in for something I will definitely enjoy. 

I will also try and get a tour of the theatre as FionaM suggests because it looks impressive.  

• Like 2