Michaela DePrince RIP

12 minutes ago, Borzoi said:

Utterly shocked by this news! Sincere condolences to her family. She was an inspiration to so many young women. A tragic loss...

Absolutely. It’s devastating news. 

• Like 1

This news just came up on my news feed on FB posted by her team/agent and Boston Ballet posted it too.

I bought her book after seeing her in First Position (the YAGP documentary) and saw her dance Myrtha with ENB at the Coliseum. I believe she was only 22 when she danced Myrtha and she more than held her own next to older and experienced colleagues- she really embodied that fearsome Queen of the Wilis (also impressive considering that Michaela wasn't a tall ballerina and tall dancers are often cast in the role).

She was also memorable in a supporting role in the tv broadcast of Dutch National Ballet's Mata Hari. I also loved her sparkling performance as Swanilda in the film adaptation of Coppelia with Daniel Camargo, Vito Mazzeo, Darcey Bussell, Irek Mukhamedov and Dutch National Ballet colleagues. 

Boston Ballet colleagues and former ABT Studio Company colleagues have posted condolences and there is a moving long tribute from Dutch National Ballet. 

I still can't believe it. She was still so young. Such a brave, inspiring person - if you haven't read her memoir, Taking Flight, of surviving the civil war in Sierra Leone, being orphaned, her tough childhood in the orphanage, and her lovely, wise and remarkable adoptive parents.....try and get it out of the library or buy a copy- an absolute must read for anyone who follows ballet.  After all she went through, the people dear to her she lost, the hurdles she overcame.....I can't believe we have now lost Michaela too. My condolences to her loved ones. 😔 😥 Rest in power, Michaela. 💜 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 16

Oh no shocking news what on Earth happened? I saw her originally  in the film First Position and then as Myrthe in Giselle and she was very good in the role. 
She always looked amazing in videos and was an inspiration to many young dancers. 
How very sad for her friends and family. 
A real loss to the Dance World. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, FionaM said:

I seem to remember she guested as Myrtha with ENB.  Does anyone have more details and/or memories   

https://pointemagazine.com/michaela-deprince-myrtha-giselle/#gsc.tab=0

I saw her- she was incredible. One of the best performances of the role I've ever seen. Powerful, but you still believe she is a wili who is light and can fly. No problems with any of the technical aspects of the role that I've seen even principals or soloists from famous companies struggle with. Her Giselle and Albrecht that night were Cojocaru and Hernandez respectively - Michaela was definitely the Queen in that forest! (OK, Alina and Isaac were still the leads but Michaela  definitely ruled the otherworldly realm there. She held her own!) ENB still has a photo of her in a magnificent grand jete in that January 2017 season on Facebook. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 8

This is so terribly sad. I read her memoir which was inspiring and a true testament to her resilience and dedication. I saw her dance in the Coppelia film and she was such an absolute joy to watch. What an awful loss. Deepest condolences to her friends and family. 

• Like 2

Yes I agree I loved her in the role of Myrthe 
She was a very athletic dancer but this somehow didn’t get in the way of her being Myrthe ….she flew through the air and had a very commanding presence on stage. 
I still can’t believe she has died. 
I followed up the dancers in the film First Position for some years after the film. Hers was a particularly amazing story. 
I hope the film gets shown again soon. 
Miko Fogerty is now a Doctor. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Very sad to hear of Michaela's untimely passing. What a loss to the ballet world and indeed the humanitarian cause. I was lucky to see Michaela dance in both Amsterdam with DNB and in London as a guest with ENB as a wonderful Myrtha in Skeaping's Giselle. May she rest in peace/power💔🩰

• Like 2

This is terrible news. Such an amazing young woman. I had the privilege of interviewing her along with  her mum about the publication of her children’s book. The events in her early life were truly shocking and yet she came through and achieved so much in her short life. 

• Like 10

Absolutely shocked and devastated by this. I never saw her live but read her memoir, saw her in First Position where I think she performed with an injury because she didn’t want to drop out… what a terrible loss this is.

Extreme condolences to her family who have already dealt with so much loss.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 3

That is so very, very sad. When someone with such talent and determination, who'd had to work so hard, dies so young, it's such a tragedy. Her poor parents must be devastated.

• Like 1

Such a wonderful dancer - I too saw her as Myrthe- Lauretta Summerscales and Xander Parish were Giselle and Albrecht. I felt so fortunate to see this cast. Such awful news. Rest in peace Michaela.

• Like 3

I am so happy that I have the memory of seeing her Myrthe twice. I booked especially for the nights she was dancing. After all the difficulties she had to bear as a child, after all her hard work to get to where she did, after all her wonderful humanitarian work…it makes her loss at such a young age even more tragic and unfair.  

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am so happy that I have the memory of seeing her Myrthe twice. I booked especially for the nights she was dancing. After all the difficulties she had to bear as a child, after all her hard work to get to where she did, after all her wonderful humanitarian work…it makes her loss at such a young age even more tragic and unfair.  

Unfair is exactly the word I was thinking of. I truly believe she could’ve grown to be a leader of the ballet world.

Incredibly sad. I remember her in First Position and then bought the book. Followed her through her time at HNB and Boston too. Never saw her live, sadly.

Her work with War Child was serious and dedicated (I have a friend who also works with them).

Rest in power and peace, Michaela.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Cinquieme said:

Was she still with Boston Ballet? 

Michaela was with Boston Ballet until May this year. 

11 hours ago, Melody said:

Her poor parents must be devastated.

Sadly, her adoptive father, Charles, passed away from complications related to Parkinson's Disease in June 2020. (She was very close to both her adoptive parents, who were wonderfully supportive of her right from the moment they met her- in his case, even before he met her but had only been told about her.) His death had been made more traumatic by the fact that she was unable to return home from Amsterdam to see him before he passed away, due to Covid restrictions and other difficulties that month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2