It's not easy, Milan is an expensive place and prices have gone up a lot post-Covid. My favourite little hotel, which was five minutes from La Scala and very reasonably priced, closed for renovation and I fear will reopen with significantly higher prices. When it closed I started staying at the Hotel Gran Duca di York, near the Duomo. It's a very nice hotel, but the prices are rising steadily there too. You might want to look at hotels near the station, the transport system is very efficient. I've booked the Andreola Hotel, near the station, for January since Gran Duca was much more expensive, the reviews are very good so I hope I've found a good solution for the future. 

Hope this helps.

I've only stayed near the station which is well connected and means you can get to the other sites more easily.  I stayed at the Starhotel Anderson twice and it was very good, comfortable bed, decent breakfast and directly opposite the station so good public transport access.  The ones nearer the Duomo have always been very pricy.  

22 hours ago, Aruna S said:

It's not easy, Milan is an expensive place and prices have gone up a lot post-Covid. My favourite little hotel, which was five minutes from La Scala and very reasonably priced, closed for renovation and I fear will reopen with significantly higher prices. When it closed I started staying at the Hotel Gran Duca di York, near the Duomo. It's a very nice hotel, but the prices are rising steadily there too. You might want to look at hotels near the station, the transport system is very efficient. I've booked the Andreola Hotel, near the station, for January since Gran Duca was much more expensive, the reviews are very good so I hope I've found a good solution for the future. 

Hope this helps.

Like you I used to go to the Gran Duca and I agree it has become too expensive compared to the standard of the hotel.

During low season, let's say Nov 15th - March 31st, the Milano Hotel Castello, 10 minute-walk from La Scala, is a wonderful option. It provides very high-standard accomodation (most rooms with garden view) at very reasonable prices. But only btw Nov and March, otherwise it is very expensive (but justified compared to the standard of the hotel).

Edited by Paco

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

I stayed at the IBIS Milano Centro. My room was large and modern. 

And I stayed at the Ibis Styles (also called Milano Centro, confusingly), a couple of streets nearer the station, which was fine and a short walk from Lima metro station. My first night I had a lot of street noise but they changed my room without any fuss.

Lacking imagination, when I'm planning to stay in continental Europe I tend to check the Accor group website as I've always found their hotels reliable and often very reasonably priced. (They own Ibis, Novotel, Mercure and various other chains.)

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Lacking imagination, when I'm planning to stay in continental Europe I tend to check the Accor group website as I've always found their hotels reliable and often very reasonably priced. (They own Ibis, Novotel, Mercure and various other chains.)

Agreed. Ibis and Ibis Styles fit nicely in my budget but I keep forgetting the Styles often don't have even a mini fridge in the room! The Gloucester Road one (actually on the Cromwell Road) though has the huge benefit of lovely furnished decks for a number of the rooms at the rear, overlooking a garden square with squirrels and birds - I could hardly believe I was where I was!20240910_234817.thumb.jpg.d7e7c20cc6f3c83057d114dc080f0b70.jpg

• Like 2