8 hours ago, Fiz said:

Vadim says on Facebook that he has plantar fasciitis which is no fun. That might explain why he hasn’t been cast first run. 

Oh no! I hope he recovers soon.

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I have this at the moment and it is indeed painful.  I read that even with doing all the exercises it can take three months to go away.  🤦🏻‍♀️😡.  I hope Vadim’s is better soon.   

I feel your pain as I had this for over 6 months - so painful. I hope you feel better soon! :) 

7 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

Poor Vadim. I’ve had it and it is very painful. My chiropractor sorted me out pretty quickly though with ultrasound and massage.

However, it looks as though it may be more than just plantar fasciitis as, painful as it is, you don’t generally have to wear a boot for it .

I found it to be very painful but he will get the best possible treatment, of that I am certain. 

7 hours ago, Nina99 said:

I had PF earlier this year and it is certainly very painful. At least Vadim will have access to a top class medical team to help him recover when he gets back home. I just hope he doesn’t need surgery.

It seems particularly unfortunately and that Vadim and Marianela should both get injured at the same time. Still, at least Vadim looks cheerful on his IG. 

Both have been very fortunate on the injury front, I think. I wish them both well and am sure they will recover soon 🤞 

6 hours ago, Sim said:

That's what I was thinking; although I have it, I don't need a boot!

No.  I didn't need a boot either! 

It's such a common complaint. I have both family members and friends that have had or still have this too. I had it a couple of years ago but I've never forgotten the pain!  :( 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The unbelievable dullness of the new RB season is indeed a ‘criminal’ waste of a company brimming with classical dancers who have spent most of their young lives training for one goal, and what do they get in 2024/25? McGregor, Wheeldon, Toonga, Pite, Tanowitz and Abraham but not a single classical ballet. Most are stuck as they don’t have the profile to guest, so they must sit it out or leave.

Muntagirov is a supreme classical dancer who should not only be used but cherished.

What on earth is KOH doing?

• Like 23

1 hour ago, The Sitter In said:

The unbelievable dullness of the new RB season is indeed a ‘criminal’ waste of a company brimming with classical dancers who have spent most of their young lives training for one goal, and what do they get in 2024/25? McGregor, Wheeldon, Toonga, Pite, Tanowitz and Abraham but not a single classical ballet. Most are stuck as they don’t have the profile to guest, so they must sit it out or leave.

Muntagirov is a supreme classical dancer who should not only be used but cherished.

What on earth is KOH doing?

dull for you maybe, not for others.  one person's meat is another's poison as is said. 

if you speak to many of the dancers, alongside dancing the classics, they are excited by and enjoy creating and dancing works by McGregor, Wheeldon, Toonga, Pite, Tanowitz and Abraham. the variety of one can inform and strengthen their technique in the other and can relieve boredom.

it has been said that Muntagirov has chosen not to dance these roles and so, as a result,  he has to dance a limited repertoire (not that he has a limited repertoire).  perhaps dancing the same choreography repeatedly has contributed to his current injury... a case of RSI? , or to add a touch of tongue in cheek humour to this thread, perhaps even a case of RSLI (repetitive swan lake injury) 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

a case of RSI? , or to add a touch of tongue in cheek humour to this thread, perhaps even a case of RSLI (repetitive swan lake injury) 

😉

I’ve just laughed out loud.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

... or to add a touch of tongue in cheek humour to this thread, perhaps even a case of RSLI (repetitive swan lake injury) 😉

😉

😉

Cute. I doubt he finds the situation and loss of income amusing. 

• Like 2

I agree with others that the 'balance' next season is the least inspiring in my nearly 30 years of ROH attendance.  Even the contemporary choreographers who interest me, like Tanowitz, are just short pieces in bills with other pieces I'm not interested in seeing or have seen before and disliked.  Have booked for lots of plays and concerts instead to get me through the dreariest Wheeldon-heavy months.  I plan to see a Cinderella, Onegin, Maddadam and the Balanchine.  And since I would usually see almost everything (and multiple casts for Petipa/Giselle) that is a big saving - especially at current ROH prices.....

• Like 15

The Royal College of Music ( near the Royal Albert Hall) has some interesting term time events including master classes with students  and other smaller concerts well worth a check over! 

At the start the last season, if I remember correctly, Ms Nunez did 2 performances of Don Q.  During this time she did 6 performances with other companies that I was aware of.  

Apparently Mr O'Hare has generous policies about guesting for his principals.  I am sure this is useful in attracting people such as Ms Osipova to work with the company.  

It is said that football Premier League managers are reluctant to release their multi-million pound players for England "friendly" matches.  They don't want to see the club's expensive investment injured for no benefit to the club.  

Should Mr O'Hare change the principals' contracts so that they are paid per performance rather than having the Royal Ballet paying for their medical bills and sick leave?  Or change policies on guesting with other companies?   What do people think? 

I think a lot of high profile dancers would leave if he did.

If he provided more opportunities for them to perform in the ROH rather than them relying on guesting to stay on form and get some stimulation, he would get his money’s worth out of them. He can’t complain that he isn’t when he doesn’t give them any incentive not to guest outside the company.

• Like 3

This summer, there are some dancers who have been having treatment for injuries that are associated with overuse.  

If the dancers have been working exclusively for the Royal Ballet, the Royal Ballet should look at its work load - number of performances per week, hours of working day (class, rehearsals, performance), rest days - to see how this can be changed to improve the health of the dancers.  

If the dancer is using their time off to do "overtime" with another company, should the dancer bear the responsibility?   What do people think? 

It’s hardly ‘overtime’, though, if they don’t have any performances at the ROH for half the season.

We don’t actually know how or why the dancers’ injuries were incurred - wear and tear, or an isolated accident, can happen to anyone in any circumstances and we can’t assume it’s simply down to too much guesting.

KOH has said in the odd interview that he encourages guesting because it sells the Royal Ballet ‘brand’ to the rest of the world and enhances its reputation.

• Like 6

Dancers from all sorts of companies perform during their summer breaks - IG stories and posts have shown dancers from both BRB and NB performing during the summer breaks and even after the seasons have started - presumably with permission from respective ADs.  A number of dancers (and I know this is slightly different) have also been teaching at various summer intensives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most dancers even professionals can’t take much more than a three week break without starting to stiffen up and the older they are the quicker it will start happening. 
So to be honest I don’t blame them from doing some  “summer break” projects to keep everything ticking over! 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, San Perregrino said:

if you speak to many of the dancers, alongside dancing the classics, they are excited by and enjoy creating and dancing works by McGregor, Wheeldon, Toonga, Pite, Tanowitz and Abraham. the variety of one can inform and strengthen their technique in the other and can relieve boredom.

We should consider that dancers typically don't talk negatively about things like this outside of their close circle.

And, it has also been admitted that new work might be fun to create and run through in the studio but not very exciting to watch from the other side of the curtain.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It is of course a part of the picture that dancers should find their job fulfilling but the elevation of this to the most important part would be a mistake, particularly when there is public money involved.

• Like 4

The irony is that, with a lot of time kicking their heels between scheduled RB performances, the good principals may well be doing their best work elsewhere… e.g. Sambé in La Fille in Paris, Ball working with Kim Brandstrup and Nuñez and Muntagirov guesting everywhere… Seems like London may well be getting a bum deal at exorbitant prices…

• Like 2

RB commissioned Machina (2012), a collaboration with Wayne McGregor for the Metamorphosis: Titian 2012 programme and Ceremony of Innocence (2013 at Snape Maltings, staged at ROH in 2014) from Brandstrup after Invictus Invitam, but 10 years ago is far too long, considering the interesting and beautiful work he's done for other dancers and other companies at Sadler's Wells, Theatre Royal Bath, and other venues since. Brandstrup's classical creations are beautiful and would suit all the RB dancers too (including Muntagirov). 

• Like 3

On 04/09/2024 at 15:31, alison said:

And talking of Brandstrup, he hasn't done anything for the RB since Invitus Invitam, which is a long time ago now. Wonder why?

I enjoyed Invitus Invitam: Ed Watson and Leanne Benjamin, I think. I wonder why it hasn’t been revived. 

• Like 3