• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

What happened in 2019? Did he have an injury?

He pulled out, fairly last minute as well, saying he didn't feel ready to perform the role. It is an iconic Russian text as well, so possibly that contributed to his decision.  It was all the more disappointing as he was scheduled to dance it with Osipova too and I wasn't sure if 2 Russians have ever danced it outside Russia. But surely that can't apply now, especially after his sensational Mayerling debut. There can't be any doubt about his acting skills now (if there ever were).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

He pulled out, fairly last minute as well, saying he didn't feel ready to perform the role.

It was announced 10ish days before the performance but there is pictorial evidence (the ROH Flikr feed no less) that it happened quite some time before that. As good as Clarke is he didn't learn it in 10 days

It was reported on the Forum long before the public announcement.

Anyway hopefully happens in the summer run.

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 2

Difficult decisions ahead! Several combinations I’d have liked to see. Might have to try more than one… 

Hoping for Vadim/Fumi later in the season, especially having booked for his 2019 debut. 

It's a disappointing half of Onegin casting for me, though good for my wallet. This was the production I was most looking forward to this year, so I pray that my stars align more for summer casting. (Please, please, please give me Bracewell and Vadim as Onegins and Fumi and Melissa as Tatianas). 

I've seen Marianela's Tatiana many times and don't feel compelled to see it this run. 

I didn't gel with Naghdi's Tatiana in her debut run, and also didn't enjoy O'Sullivan's Olga last time, so probably a miss for me

I will see the Hayward / Corrales / Pantuso / Rovero debut bonanza, because I'm very curious how Hayward will play the role and because Pantuso and Rovero impressed me hugely last season. 

Cuthbertson is a surprise, but I didn't enjoy Hirano's Onegin last time around. 

• Like 3

I will see two of the announced casts, who look interesting to me. Looking forward to seeing who the summer casts are - wish we had an inkling of who they may be! 

• Like 1

Other than the obvious disappointment that Muntagirov/Kaneko/Osipova aren’t cast I’m a bit surprised by all the disappointment over casting in this thread!

everyone of course entitled to their opinion but I think it’s safe to say we can expect to see the three above cast later in the year (if they’re not cast then I will join in the disappointed) but honestly I think the casting looks great.

Slightly odd that Corrales/Hayward are getting only one evening but again perhaps explained by their cast repeating later in the year. Even then for them to get one cast and the others all 3, surely they could have split so two casts had 2 performances? Given they’ve done all the rehearsals it feels a bit of a shame not to have them embed and develop a performance even if they do it again later in the year. 

This does raise a more general annoyance about splitting the same ballet over two seasons with regard to having to assume a bit around potential future casts. I personally dislike this trend and would rather have everything in one go. Assume there is a financial reason at play but it does also seem odd to split the use of sets and costumes and rehearsals over two seasons! It feels very ineffective but I suppose it must work financially.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't really understand why this is a surprise. It seems fixed in some minds that Bolle is a regular Nunez partner at the RB but it's only an occasional thing.

I know Bolle isn't a regular Nunez' partner but they've danced Onegin together a few times. It could have been a reasonable posibility though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Certainly hoping for Joseph Sissens as Onegin in the summer cast, I'm assuming he hasn't done it before

He danced Lesnky in the last run, which I'm pretty sure was his debut in that role, so no he hasn't done Onegin. My personal guess would be that he might do Lensky again rather than move on to Onegin but I suppose it could depend on how many other dancers they have who are considered suitable for each role. Apart from Muntagirov, I feel as though there aren't really many other obviously likely Onegins for the second part of the run so maybe someone like Sissens could be a possibility.

On 27/08/2024 at 20:41, Emeralds said:

(Jonathan Goddard and Tommy Franzen are listed as guest artists but of course will be familiar to readers who followed the premiere of the Phaedra/Mintotaur double bill at Bath, contemporary dance  performances, and other dance genres). 

Matthew Ball replaced Jonathan Goddard in the Bath shows of Minotaur.  And he was very good 👍

42 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Matthew Ball replaced Jonathan Goddard in the Bath shows of Minotaur.  

Jonathan Goddard was in the first run, which was also in Bath, in August 2022. (I was there.)

11 hours ago, JNC said:

Other than the obvious disappointment that Muntagirov/Kaneko/Osipova aren’t cast I’m a bit surprised by all the disappointment over casting in this thread!

everyone of course entitled to their opinion but I think it’s safe to say we can expect to see the three above cast later in the year (if they’re not cast then I will join in the disappointed) but honestly I think the casting looks great.

Disappointed by the lack of Osipova-Clarke and Kaneko-Muntagirov - hopefully scheduled for the summer run-, however I will for sure attend the cast with Matthew Ball as Onegin, with his strong charism he should be an outstanding Onegin! And I am very curious about Francesca Hayward as Tatiana so I will attend that cast too.

Edited by Paco
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2024 at 18:17, FionaM said:

I wish we could know the May/June casts at the same time in order to make decisions about/which to see.  

For me the top pick of the first run is Lauren Cuthbertson and Ryo Hirano. 

There are 10 more performance in May/June, so on the basis there are 3 shows per cast there are at least 3 more casts. 

Yes, the top cast for me also this run.

On 28/08/2024 at 14:09, oncnp said:

I suspect for the same reason the rehearsal is not being filmed....the Cranko estate

I’m not aware of a specific Onegin ballet Insight, but if, by rehearsal, you mean the Insight on 5th September, this is advertised as being streamed.

BACKGROUND

With a new production of Eugene Onegin opening on the Main Stage and John Cranko's ballet Oneginappearing later in the Season, our Insight explores Tchaikovsky's music and Alexander Pushkin's eponymous novel: the source material for both works. 

This Insights event will be filmed and streamed live on the Royal Ballet and Opera YouTube channel.

11 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

I’m not aware of a specific Onegin ballet Insight, but if, by rehearsal, you mean the Insight on 5th September, this is advertised as being streamed.

BACKGROUND

With a new production of Eugene Onegin opening on the Main Stage and John Cranko's ballet Oneginappearing later in the Season, our Insight explores Tchaikovsky's music and Alexander Pushkin's eponymous novel: the source material for both works. 

This Insights event will be filmed and streamed live on the Royal Ballet and Opera YouTube channel.

Not this. Referring to the rehearsal in the Linbury on 15 Jan. See https://www.rbo.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-the-royal-ballet-in-rehearsal-dates

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

Alexander Pushkin's eponymous novel: the source material for both works. 

A novel?  When I read it it was a tone poem.  Has it also been published in novel format?

Anna Rose O'Sullivan and William Bracewell in the new Tanowitz- wonder if it will be a companion piece to  Dispatch Duet, which they also created roles in? (Tanowitz is using a score by Ted Hearne again). I liked Dispatch Duet (far more than her Gustave le Gray #1 and Secret Things) - just needed to bring ear plugs! 😄 

The casting looks great for Weathering and The Statement. Those who didn't catch Brændsrød/Hamilton/Boswell/Junker in the second cast for The Weathering, I highly recommend seeing them in the first cast this time. Looking forward to Sissens and Richardson with McNally and Dean in the  gripping The Statement too. I'll be booking! 

20 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Anna Rose O'Sullivan and William Bracewell in the new Tanowitz- wonder if it will be a companion piece to  Dispatch Duet, which they also created roles in?

The original new season press release referred to “Expanding Dispatch Duet…”

• Like 1

I guess it’s not that these ballets are that awful but that they are just not interesting enough for me to pay to see them again. 
Not every ballet deserves multiple viewings. 
But no doubt it’s horses for courses etc. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Thank you! Funnily enough, I found this out at night after I'd logged off but didn't have time to post an update. So it looks like a Dispatch Duet 2.0 version with the original score included. Will bring the ear plugs... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you! Funnily enough, I found this out at night after I'd logged off but didn't have time to post an update. So it looks like a Dispatch Duet 2.0 version with the original score included. Will bring the ear plugs... 

Oh no! Ear plugs for me too! 😱

57 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

No harm being well prepared 😀

I was not a fan of the Hearne in Dispatch Duet - I tried to be open-minded, but it just was too discordant for me, I'm afraid. I liked the performance and thought the dancers were as excellent as usual. I even liked parts of the choreography, it was just the music that I struggled with. At least I know what to expect! 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

This would put me off even more than The Weathering, The Statement and the new Joseph Toonga put together. I could barely sit through Dispatch Duet the first time. An expanded version would be several shades worse than Chinese water torture. 

• Like 4