• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

The ROH Winter Casting is out and I think some of the Onegin casting may raise eyebrows. I don't know if I'm allowed to post here from The Friends Email and will await Moderator advice on that.

Just a little. Although there is a second run in summer ( or Muntagirov has become surplus to requirements) Another money-saving season for me.

BTW I have posted in the past so go for it.

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 3

It's very difficult to make decisions when funds are limited and you don't know who's performing in the second batch of performances of a work. Is Muntagirov doing Onegin later, or not at all? What about Kaneko? etc etc. And why give a cast one performance (Hayward/Corrales et al)??

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ellyb said:

Osipova also surprisingly absent, and her partner's with Nunez... very interested in the summer casting!

Sick leave? Available only later in season? Nuñez and Clarke sort of couple 2 alternative 

• Like 2

Gosh....debuts all round for the Hayward/Corrales cast!  Maybe that's why they're only getting one show this time...I hope they will all get another go in round two of the performances.  Keeping everything crossed for a Muntagirov/Kaneko cast in the second round....unless of course William Bracewell gets Onegin, in which case I would love love love to see him do it with Fumi.  But that is probably a dream too far....  

Meanwhile, I am sure that both William Bracewell and Leo Dixon will make totally dreamy Lenskys!!  Also very much looking forward to finally seeing Matthew Ball debut as Onegin.  I am sure he will get the character very well.  Together with Yasmine Naghdi, whose favourite role is Tatiana, it should be a very passionate pairing for this ballet.

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Osipova also surprisingly absent, and her partner's with Nunez... very interested in the summer casting!

According to her instagram account she's recovering from her ankle surgery. 

Edited by Mora
  • Thanks 1

I can only assume (hope!) that some of the missing names will turn up in the later run.

i did speak to Vadim at the stage door after the Winter’s Tale and he seemed to think he would be doing Onegin this time so I’m hoping that’s the case.

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Mary said:

Very surprised not to say disappointed, not to see Muntagirov's name.

They've only announced the casts for 10 of the 20 performances.....the remaining performances don't even go on sale until February/March next year

Edited by Rob S
Can't count
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mora said:

According to her instagram account, she's recovering from her ankle surgery. 

That's true, I had forgotten... still interesting that Clarke will be with Nunez, I know they have done galas together but I think it's the first time they've been paired for a full-length at ROH? I may very well be wrong though. 

I know that last Onegin Nunez had Bolle, though I can't remember if she was actually cast with him or not? I had booked for Ospiova that night and found myself with Nunez/Bolle (not a bad replacement!), but I remember that it was pure chance he was in London preparing for something else and could stand in. I do hope Osipova's fit for summer as I've still not seen her Tatiana. In the meantime, I will happily see Nunez again, and definitely Ball/Naghdi. 

• Like 3

I wish we could know the May/June casts at the same time in order to make decisions about/which to see.  

For me the top pick of the first run is Lauren Cuthbertson and Ryo Hirano. 

There are 10 more performance in May/June, so on the basis there are 3 shows per cast there are at least 3 more casts. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

And no Sarah Lamb, Gary Avis, Joseph Sissens or Nicol Edmonds. Also, despite having made his debut as Lensky last time, David Donnelly is now Gremin…

I'm pretty sure Gary Avis said last time that he wouldn't dance Gremin again. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It's very difficult to make decisions when funds are limited and you don't know who's performing in the second batch of performances of a work. Is Muntagirov doing Onegin later, or not at all? What about Kaneko? etc etc. And why give a cast one performance (Hayward/Corrales et al)??

I agree that only knowing about half the casting makes it difficult. In theory I'd like to see all 4 of the casts that have been announced, as they each contain at least 2 or 3 dancers I'd like to see in their respective roles, but then what if there end up being 4 more casts in the second run who I want to see as much or more?

Is it really going to be Cuthbertson's Tatiana debut? I know she withdrew from the last run but I had assumed she'd done the role previously, given there have been several runs since she became a Principal. Interesting that Hayward's stepping up to Tatiana while Takada is staying as Olga. I'd rather expected it to be the other way around. I'm very pleased Magri has been cast as Olga this time, as I was disappointed when she wasn't for the last run. Pantuso is certainly doing well with this season's casting for a First Artist, though admittedly if they wanted an Olga who looks younger than Hayward then there aren't that many options!

I had rather hoped that Corrales might get a go at Lensky before moving on to Onegin but clearly not. I'm pleased I did see Ball as Lensky last time around & am not at all surprised he's now moving to Onegin. I'm pleased to see Richardson & Bracewell as Lensky, as they were on my casting wishlist for that role. I'm also pleasantly surprised by Rovero & Dixon. I'm sorry Donnelly isn't reprising his Lensky from the last run but has instead been demoted to Gremin.

Is anyone else surprised that all the Gremins are cast so young? Or is it just me because of coming from a perspective of having seen several productions of the opera before a first saw the ballet. For me Gremin is a bass in his 50s! So to have several good-looking dancers in their 20s cast in the role feels odd to me. In the last run I saw one younger Gremin, Braendsrod, and two older ones, Avis & Gartside. The feel with the latter two was the equivalent to the opera but I found it very different with a young, very handsome Gremin. When Tatiana resists going with Onegin to stay true to her marriage vows to her older husband then it feels like she's giving something up but it didn't feel like as much of a sacrifice for Tatiana dismissing Onegin when her husband is just as young & handsome!

ETA Apologies for repeating a couple of points made above but in the time it took me to write this post 8 other posts were made.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ellyb said:

I know that last Onegin Nunez had Bolle, though I can't remember if she was actually cast with him or not?

No, Nunez was cast with Hirano last time & as far as I recall they did all their planned performances. She  additionally replaced an ill/injured Osipova for two performances, one with Clarke & then one with Bolle after Clarke too got ill/injured. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m rather thrilled with the casting! There are obviously some glaring absences but I’m sure they’ll be in the second run, all being equal! So pleased that Akane has been partnered with William again! The first two casts in particular are an absolute “must see” for me! 😀

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Interesting that Hayward's stepping up to Tatiana while Takada is staying as Olga. I'd rather expected it to be the other way around.

Mind you, Takada is a wonderful Olga, and with Bracewell as Lensky that casting is a no-brainer for me.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well the casting that has excited me is Jonathan Goddard and Tommy Franzen in Minotaur!!

Yes, I agree- but also Kristen MacNally was outstanding, too, in Bath. Her compelling performance made me think she is underused as a dancer by the Royal Ballet. Am looking forward to seeing her latest choreography in Leeds next month, as well, for Northern Ballet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Also very much looking forward to finally seeing Matthew Ball debut as Onegin.  I am sure he will get the character very well.  Together with Yasmine Naghdi, whose favourite role is Tatiana, it should be a very passionate pairing for this ballet.

This will be the pair I book for if I can only see one cast. (Forgot who was Yasmine's Onegin last time?)

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Is anyone else surprised that all the Gremins are cast so young?

Surprised for sure. I'm a Harris Bell fan, so super happy for him to get more named roles. But he will need a LOT of make-up not to look like Tatiana's son rather than her older husband 😂 

• Like 4

Very happy with this casting. The first two dates coincide with my pre-booked London trip and include the main cast I want to see (Clarke, Nunez, Bracewell, Naghdi and Dixon). Would love to see Bracewell’s Onegin though. I’d also like to see Kaneko but will hold off for R&J (desperately hoping they get cast together). 

• Like 3

For @Silver Capricorn and anyone else having difficulty on some devices (including me)...

ONEGIN (Tatiana/Onegin/Olga/Lensky/Gremin)- 

22/1, 7/2, 13/2-Nunez/Clarke/Takada/Bracewell/Brændsrød

24/1, 8/2, 15/2 mat- Naghdi/Ball/O'Sullivan/Dixon/Bell

25/1- Hayward/Corrales/Pantuso/Rovero/Serrano

10/2, 15/2, 25/2- Cuthbertson/Hirano/Magri/Richardson/Donnelly 

All performances are evening shows except 15/2 mat (with Naghdi) which is at 1pm. 15/2 evening performance starts earlier, at 7pm. 

LIGHT OF PASSAGE:

20/2, 28/2, 5/3, 11/3 - McNally/Sambè and company 

21/2, 1/3;(both 1.30pm & 7.30pm), 12/3- Ashley Dean/ to be confirmed  and company 

MINOTAUR- 

6/2, 8/2, 10/2- McNally, Jonathan Goddard, Tommy Franzen

7/2, 9/2mat, 11/2 - Lubach, Goddard, Franzen

All performances of PHAEDRA - Goddard (with mezzo-soprano Christine Rice) 

Edited by Emeralds
To fix a typo on one of Nunez's performance dates!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8