Ananiashvilli and Fadeyechev's staging of Swan Lake for State Ballet of Georgia, London Coliseum, 28 Aug-8 Sept 2024

The Georgian company, led by beloved international star and legend Nina Ananiashvilli since 2004, makes its first ever visit to London, with a production of Swan Lake by Ananiashvilli and her forner regular dance partner (and now experienced stager of classics) Alexei Fadeyechev.

Accompanied by English National Opera Orchestra (who play beautifully for ballet performances as well as opera), the performances will be led by company ballerinas Nino Samadashvilli and Laura Fernández, guest principals Chloe Misseldine and Anastasia Matvienko, and company danseurs Oleh Lihai, Daler Zaparov and Michal Krcmar. (Casting may be subject to changes).

Casting info available at https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/swan-lake-state-ballet-of-georgia/ (link in bottom half of the page). Looking forward to it and reading members'  discussions here. Opening Night tomorrow! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running time

Acts 1&2 - 1 hour

interval - 20 minutes

Acts 3&4 - 50 minutes

With curtain calls and start at 19.35 (ti allow latecomers to be seated), you can expect to be heading out by 21.55

The orchestra did get a move on, the music often started before applause had died down.  

Some intra-act bows did rather go on.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

It was refreshing to see a Swan Lake and not know the ending. #keepthesecret 😉

a new ending … just when you thought you’d seen all variants  🤐 

• Like 1

Loved Nino Samadashvili’s arms in particular … her transformation back to a swan at the end of Act 2 had me entranced … such lightness in her wings. 

Beautifully shaped fifth positions in Act 3.   

👏👏👏

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@FionaM and @San Perregrino- how was Lihai as Siegfried? What did you think of the company's dancing? 

FionaM, I thought Krcmar had taken up a second position at State Ballet of Georgia (like Dronina, Frola and Hawes did at ENB while still being members of National Ballet of Canada, or as Ananiashvilli herself did at Bolshoi and ABT) as he seemed to be dancing with them a lot! You could be right that he hasn't actually joined full time. Will check when I attend.  😀 

Edited by Emeralds

Oh no, @alison! Do you mind me asking which section (balcony/upper circle/stalls etc) you were in and which row? (Hope I haven't bought the same area... never mind, I will know when I get there! Unfortunately it isn't my usual ENB seating area!)

Was the theatre full? (Sometimes the front of house manager has re-seated us when it's  not full if we really can't see anything at all- very tall and broad shouldered patrons in front of us.) Any opinions/thoughts you have still very much worth reading even if you couldn't see a lot  of it. 

Will now be trying to guess which ending it could be that hasn't already been done, which include:

- Odette and Siegfried die together but reunited in heaven

- Odette dies, Siegfried lives (RB current one)

- Both die, Benno finds Siegfried's body (BRB)

- Odette and Siegfried defeat Rothbart by the power of her forgiveness and his love & remorse, being tricked didn't count (ENB)

- Odette doomed, Siegfried has to marry Odile! (Royal Danish Ballet current one)

- it all.turns our to be a dream (a few  choreographers)

I could only come up with ....

- Siegfried turns into a swan too, so they are reunited and together but hard luck for any Swan maidens hoping to get home to Mum and Dad (rip off of Shrek)

- Siegfried dies after duelling Rothbart and Benno marries Odette, spell broken 

- Benno proposes to Rothbart, persuades him to be a good guy and remove the spell so he does

- the Queen casts a spell on Rothbart and makes him undo the curse

- Bemno, Siegfried and Odette push Rothbart into the lake, he promises to undo the spell if they rescue him, so they do and he keeps his promise

- Siegfried challrnges Rothbart to a duel- if he wins Rothbart must promise to undo the spell, if he loses, Rothbart can kill him....Siegfried wins? 

Wild guesses but quite entertaining. I won't divulge the ending when I see it but will say if I managed to guess it or didn't...... haha. 

• Like 7

8Thursday evening 29 August - Acts 1 & 2:

Odette-Odile- Chloe Misseldine, Siegfried- Michal Krcmar 

Well that was very lovely and beautiful so far. Traditional story book gorgeousness in the set and costume designs: not too twee and not too plain, just right. The corps de ballet courtiers/villagers and Swan ladies are doing Ms Ananiashvilli proud. Musical, neat and in sync but still with grace and poetry. The cygnets are lovely-  precise and dancing as a real quartet. Kaito Hosoya, a very promising talent, is a standout Benno, with lovely ballon and elevation: tidy, fast turns and soaring jumps, also has a great rapport as Siegfried's friend. This is a rather cheery Siegfried- no angst or depression. When his Mum says he has to get married, he respectfully and calmly evades the topic but no drama or fuss. Probably the most cheerful, calm Siegfried I've seen in a while, which is not a bad thing. Krcmar is an experienced dancer and partner, noble, dependable, princely.

Chloe Misseldine is a revelation- and reminds me so much of young Nina Ananiashvilli! Elegant, graceful, soulful- her Odette is gorgeous and lights up the whole auditorium. Wowser!  More later......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I’ve seen all 3 casts so far, which is why I haven’t had time to comment.  

In short … Chloe is something special.  If you can get a ticket for her only other show 31/8 evening .. do it now.  

More on the other dancers later.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Emeralds said:

FionaM, I thought Krcmar had taken up a second position at State Ballet of Georgia (like Dronina, Frola and Hawes did at ENB while still being members of National Ballet of Canada, or as Ananiashvilli herself did at Bolshoi and ABT) as he seemed to be dancing with them a lot! You could be right that he hasn't actually joined full time. Will check when I attend.  😀 

Michal (pronounced like Michelle and not like Michael) has guested with this company only once before in Bayadere in Tbilisi.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ctas said:

Did anyone get the names of the cast for the matinee? I forgot to get a picture of the display with it on. 

I know the two leads …. Laura Fernandez and Daler Zaparov

I didn’t know there was a display with the actual cast.  I am sorry to have missed it because I do want to identify some of the other soloists, particularly the Act 1 pas de trois, the big swans, and some the leads of the Act 3 nationals.  

It has been a full house for all of the first 3 performances… I know because I tried to upgrade my seats at the box office.  

Edited by FionaM

Opening Night Cast 28/8 from a digital display by the box office:

Odette/Odile NINO SAMADASHVILI

Prince Siegfried OLEG LIGAI

Baron Von Rothbart MARCELO SOARES

Benno, Siegfried's friend EFE BURAK

Ulrike MARIAM ELOSHVILI

Adelina NINO KHAKHUTASHVILI

Wolfgang, Master of Ceremonies DAVID ANANELI

The Queen, Siegfried's mother

INA ASMAIPARASHVILI

The Three Big Swans

TATA JASHI

SALOME IARAJULI

MARI LOMJARIA

The Four Little Swans

TOMONE KAGAWA

ANA KSOVRELI

SESILI GUGUCHIA

TATIA ISAKADZE

And the soloists & corps de ballet of

STATE BALLET OF GEORGIA

29/8 evening cast, from a cast list at the ground floor cloakroom.

29 August, 7.30pm

Odette/Odile

Chloe Misseldine

Prince Siegfried

Michal Krcmar

Baron von Rothbart

Filippo Montanari

Benno, Siegfried's Friend

Kaito Hosoya

Ulrike

Ana Ksovreli

Adelina

Tomone Kagawa

Wolfgang, Master of Ceremonies

David Ananeli

The Queen, Siegfried's Mother

Ina Azmaiparashvili

The Three Big Swans

Tata Jashi

Salome larajuli

Mari Lomjaria

The Four Little Swans

Nino Khahutashvili

Mariam Elosvili

Sesili Guguchia

Tatia Isakadze

What a scoop for London to get the newly minted ABT principal Chloe Misseldine in her breakthrough role. The Met audience gave her a standing ovation for her O/O in July and last night’s crowd in the Coliseum was not far behind, roaring approval and keeping her onstage for bow after bow. ENB used to bring us stars from around the world but the current management seems less keen so this was a real treat, thank you Nina Ananiashvilli.

As critics have written, 22 year-old Chloe has maturity beyond her years. A swan queen to her fingertips - and what fingertips, hands, arms, eyes, back, there was so much to take in in a truly gorgeous, expert, detailed, thrilling, moving performance. I immediately booked again for her other show (Saturday evening, as confirmed). 

A word on the company. I was very taken with their overall style, somewhat softer and more charming than Kevin O’Hare’s athletic Royal Ballet. For example one of the sisters (?), Ana Ksovreli, in her first act solo, reminded me of the young Viviana Durante. Perhaps an element of my pleasure last night was remembering early days at Covent Garden, when the RB was more classically focussed and Madam, no longer Director but still holding court in the Crush Room, shared her judgements with those who caught her eye.  Maybe someone could post a history of the Georgian company so we can learn how they got to be so good. 

• Like 11

Friends and I saw Act 1 of this yesterday evening and we did not enjoy it at all.

Chloe Misseldine was stunning with remarkable lines and a level of dancing you’d expect from a fast promoted ABT principal. Sadly there was little else that was noteworthy. Perhaps the production, in particular the absence of lakeside mime, robbed the leads of chemistry, there was certainly none in evidence between Misseldine and Michal Krcmar’s Siegfried. I don’t care for the Royal Ballet’s current production but yesterday evening I felt more well disposed towards it. 

I found Amanda Jennings Backtrack review which will no doubt be on the links today chimed with my feelings about the production and overall standard of dancing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, annamk said:

Friends and I saw Act 1 of this yesterday evening and we did not enjoy it at all.

Chloe Misseldine was stunning with remarkable lines and a level of dancing you’d expect from a fast promoted ABT principal. Sadly there was little else that was noteworthy. Perhaps the production, in particular the absence of lakeside mime, robbed the leads of chemistry, there was certainly none in evidence between Misseldine and Michal Krcmar’s Siegfried. I don’t care for the Royal Ballet’s current production but yesterday evening I felt more well disposed towards it. 

I found Amanda Jennings Backtrack review which will no doubt be on the links today chimed with my feelings about the production and overall standard of dancing. 

Charlotte Kasner in Seeing Dance also agrees with you. 

For anyone who doesn’t want to know the ending, don’t read this review!  Several others also mention the type of ending to this version.  

• Like 2

A marvellous detail which I have not as yet (not having finished working my way through the links) noticed anyone else commenting on: Odette’s costume. In the middle of a traditional-looking (I am no expert) white tutu was a tiny splash of red, echoed in some decorations (drops of blood? flowers?) on the bodice. Is this detail - a flash of her bleeding heart perhaps? - drawn from tradition, and if so, who used it before? 

This online link leads to a photograph of a very direct and in your face expansion of a similar idea (nothing like what was on stage at the Coliseum though!) I can’t find examples to illustrate the haunting and evocative detail at the (literal) centre of the Swan Lake performance so by way of analogy only:

https://alicecorsets.com/product/bleeding-heart-corset-dress/

Perhaps this post is some kind of postscript to our marvellous conversation of a few years ago about women in white:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/16916-women-in-white/

@Sebastian  Chloe Misseldine is wearing the ABT tutus and headdresses.  The Georgian company principals have beautiful new tutus for this run.  No Red splash on their white torso.  (Laura Fernandez posted about the new tutus a week or so ago) 

All ABT white swans have that red splash.  I’m sure our NY based members can explain.  

see here

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3whxo8Aesy/?igsh=MWc5MnVyZzVsOG54Mg==

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Many, many, many reviews for the first night in Links today:

Most of which aren't very encouraging. I'm not sure I can be bothered to go on Sunday, especially as it's due to be the same lead cast as that of the first night so it's not as if I can hope that a different cast can improve matters.

Re costumes: I loved Siegfried’s outfits, especially the act 3/4 one, with light coloured tights and what looked like predominantly midnight blue top, with some bright flashes and sparkle. (Sorry I am not good on costume technical vocabulary!). Anyway, he looked handsome in it, proper prince. Much nicer than the dull black or dark blue outfits we see a lot of! 
Actually, I thought the costumes were good in general, Benno’s too. And some of the ‘national dance’ folk had gold boots! 

• Like 4