Royal Ballet appoints Stuart Cassidy as Répétiteur to the Principal Artists

Press Release

Wednesday 21 August 2024 

The Royal Ballet appoints Stuart Cassidy as Répétiteur to the Principal Artists 

The Royal Ballet today announces the appointment of Stuart Cassidy as Répétiteur to the Principal Artists. 

An alumnus of The Royal Ballet School, he joined The Royal Ballet in 1987 and was promoted to Principal Artist within four years, performing in renowned roles including Romeo in Romeo and Juliet, Siegfried in Swan Lake, and the Prince in The Nutcracker. After 11 years he left the Company to join K-Ballet in Japan, and since September 2023 has been an artistic teacher at the Royal Ballet School. Stuart will take up the position during the 2024/25 Season. 

Stuart Cassidy said: 

I’m thrilled to return to The Royal Ballet as Répétiteur to the Principals. I was nurtured, guided and supported by wonderful mentors throughout my time with the Company. I am honoured to have the opportunity to combine those years, with the growth and development I have experienced during my career since, to give back to the exceptional dancers within The Royal Ballet.” 

Kevin O’Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet said: 

“We are delighted to welcome Stuart back to the Company. Following an exceptional dancing career with The Royal Ballet and then K-Ballet, Stuart has now forged an impressive position as a coach in Japan, New Zealand and most recently at The Royal Ballet School. A passionate teacher, his warmth, matched with outstanding musicality, theatricality and breadth of repertoire make him the perfect addition to the Company. 

ENDS 

Stuart Cassidy Biography 

Stuart started training with The Royal Ballet School’s Associate Programme before training at White Lodge and Upper School. After graduating, Stuart joined The Royal Ballet and was rapidly promoted to Principal after only four years with the Company. Most notably, as a corps de ballet member, he made his debut as Romeo in Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet. After 11 years with The Royal Ballet, he joined K-Ballet in Japan as a principal dancer, founding member, and Assistant Director until 2020. He remains an Honorary Principal of K-Ballet. Stuart qualified from the Royal Academy of Dance Professional Dancers Teacher Diploma with distinction in 2003 and became a qualified pilates instructor in 2005. He is a passionate teacher, having taught students and professionals at The Royal Ballet Upper School, K-Ballet, New Zealand School of Dance, Royal New Zealand Ballet, and English National Ballet School. 

About The Royal Ballet 

Under the directorship of Kevin O’Hare, The Royal Ballet unites tradition and innovation in world-class performances and is a driving force in the development of ballet as an art form. Based at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, it brings together today’s most dynamic and versatile dancers with a world-class orchestra and leading choreographers, composers, conductors, directors and creative teams to share awe-inspiring theatrical experiences with diverse audiences worldwide. The Company’s extensive repertory embraces 19th-century classics, the singular legacy of works by Founder Choreographer Frederick Ashton and Principal Choreographer Kenneth MacMillan, a compelling new canon of work by choreographers today including Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor and Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon, and the bold and complementary programming in the Linbury Theatre. Guest choreographers Kyle Abraham, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Cathy Marston, Arthur Pita, Crystal Pite, Hofesh Shechter, Pam Ta

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

A dancer I enjoyed watching greatly. I remember him dancing Ashton’s Voices of Spring pdd with Viviana Durante so well…

I wish him every success in his new role, especially that the RB rep is now very far from what he knew as a performer…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Sitter In said:

A dancer I enjoyed watching greatly. I remember him dancing Ashton’s Voices of Spring pdd with Viviana Durante so well…

I wish him every success in his new role, especially that the RB rep is now very far from what he knew as a performer…

Rep of MacMillan, Ashton and Petipa / Peter Wright will all be well known to him.  I’d have thought there’s more than enough of that to keep him occupied. 

10 hours ago, alison said:

Is this in addition to his work at the RBS?

good question.  I assumed he was leaving that role as it was fulltime.  

Edited by FionaM

It makes a lot of sense.  The company currently has access to a lot of relatively new (21st century) repetiteurs, but are I think a bit lacking in people to bridge the gap between, say, the Lesley Collier generation and them, so he should fit the bill nicely.  I mean, he actually worked with MacMillan on his late works - not so sure about any experience with Ashton.  And he must have danced pretty much most of the RB rep back then.

• Like 2

According to ROH collections database, his last two performances with RB were in 2001 … Franz in Coppélia with Marianela Nunez, and Colas in La Fille Mal Gardee with Belinda Hatley.   Back in the day! 

• Like 3

Congratulations to Stuart Cassidy and the Royal Ballet! Saw him in Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, La Fille mal Gardée, and lots of other Ashton, MacMillan (he was in the first run of MacMillan's Prince of the Pagodas, second cast, as Durante's Prince), Balanchine, etc ballets. He also worked with Ninette de Valois and Twyla Tharp (I do wish the company can and will revive the second act of Mr Worldly Wise that Tharp created on him, Deborah Bull, and others - it was so beautiful, inventive and classical). 

I remember he joined the company initially with his name Michael Cassidy on the roster but subsequently had to use Stuart (his middle name) as his first name because Equity already had another performer named Michael Cassidy. He also mentioned in a few interviews that he had diabetes and that it was possible to combine a demanding dance career with the condition as long as one was sensible. Wonderful dancer and great partner (he often partnered Nina Ananiashvilli when she danced with RB as a guest artist).

It will be great for the company to have another former principal familiar with a lot of the Ashton, MacMillan and traditional repertoire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1