Alain Delon has passed away

MAB

I'm very sad, I admit I had a crush on him when I was a teenager.

My favorite film with him was "Deux hommes dans la ville" alongside Jean Gabin. And the most impressive with tension til the last minute was "Plein soleil".

A very handsome man for many years. It's sad to read about the fights between his children, but he can rest in peace now.

I usually prefer to use the word “died”

but don’t consider passed away as a “simpering euphemism” 

Many older people prefer to use this expression and if you have ever been with anybody as they have actually died it is a feeling as if something has just passed away from their body. 

Yes very sad about Alain Delon he was the heart throb of the 70’s particularly if you were studying French!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Meanwhile, I do wish people would stop using the simpering euphemism "passed away". The person has died.

Worse IMO is "passed". Passed what, a kidney stone?

Yes @MAB I sent you a PM, expressing my dislike for this "nauseating euphemism."

I expressed myself politely and was quite shocked to receive the one-word response "Tough".

I therefore decided to express my dislike for the term "passed away" in public. If you don't like me outing myself as the "complete stranger" who PMed you, I have one word for you: Tough.

OK everyone.  Can we please just respect the dead/passed/passed on/passed away person and not spoil our memories of Alain Delon by sniping.  I don't think 'passed on' or 'passed away' is a 'simpering euphemism'.  It all depends on what one believes.  Many believe that when we die, part of us goes elsewhere, or passes to a different realm.  Others simply find it hard to say 'died'....it seems so brutally final.  I think we should respect other peoples' beliefs, even if we don't share them.  

Meanwhile, I am locking this thread for now.  

RIP Alain, et merci. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Sim locked this topic