Ballet Association Meetings and Events 2024/5 Season

Hello all, 

As it's a new season, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread.

Our first meeting of the new season will be on Tuesday 20th August with First Artist Julia Roscoe, and First Soloist Luca Acri.

Julia performed in featured roles  whilst still a student (including the young girl in La Sylphide). As a member of the company, her repertory includes Lilac Fairy and Mythre in Giselle. Luca's recent repertory includes Rhapsody, Lescaut and as an Ugly Sister in Cinderella. We can look forward to a lively evening, as they will have lots to talk about.

This is an in person event.

Meetings are held at the American International Church, Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 4TD - it's right next to Goodge Street tube, and a short walk from Warren Street Tube, so Transport links are pretty good.

The meeting will start at 7.30pm. Entrance at the door is £5 for members, £4 - concessions, £9 guests. You may book via our website, which will cost slightly more, to cover the site's charges. 

Please visit our website www.balletassociation.co.uk for further details, and to book if you wish.

We look forward to seeing lots of you there.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Our next meeting will be on Thursday 5th September, with Rehearsal Director, and Principal Character Artist (and also a president of the Ballet Association), Christopher Saunders

We can look forward to a fascinating meeting, with lots to hear about. Christopher joined the company 41 years ago, and continues to perform a wide repertory. He is also involved in rehearsing and staging productions, both with the Royal Ballet, and companies abroad, including in Carlos Acosta's production of Don Quixote in Canada, and Nijinska's Les Noces in Zurich in recent months alone.

This will be an in person event.

Meetings are held at the American International Church, Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 4TD - it's right next to Goodge Street tube, and a short walk from Warren Street Tube, so Transport links are pretty good.

The meeting will start at 7.30pm. Entrance at the door is £5 for members, £4 - concessions, £9 guests. You may book via our website, which will cost slightly more, to cover the site's charges. 

Please visit our website www.balletassociation.co.uk for further details, and to book if you wish.

• Like 1

The Ballet Association has announced all its guests for pretty much the rest of the year:

17th September - Johan Kobborg

30th September - Marcelino Sambe

10th October - Viola Pantuso and Ella Newton Svergnini

29th November - Yasmine Naghdi

5th December - Vadim Muntagirov

(and TBA on 16th December)

My face fell when I saw the provisional dates last month, because unusually I'd booked a couple of Royal Opera performances for the autumn, and as I feared I shall now have to be desperately hunting around for tickets for another night, because the clashes are with two guests I certainly don't want to miss! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Could anyone inform me as to how long the ballet association events last, please. The usual format for these sort of events is the guest speaks for 45 minutes/an hour and then takes questions for as long as there are any or a max of 20/30 mins. Does the Ballet Association follow this pattern? I've never attended one as I don't live in London and can't usually justify a 500 mile round trip for what is probably a fairly short event. I'd love to attend the Vadim event but certainly can't afford an overnight and my trains back are either 9.10 or 9. 30pm. Admittedly from Euston so one or 2 stops from Goodge street or a short walk or bus ride. it's annoying as I'm in London for 2 performances of Cinderella on the Sat and the talk is on Thurs. if it had been Friday I might have given in but as it is I don't know.

Is the 5 Dec no longer available? I just went to the website and the last listed is Naghdi on 29 Nov.  'Want to make sure I can book before I change my flights. Thanks

Edited by oncnp

I’ve just looked and both Naghdi and Muntagirov are now missing to book. 
I don’t know whether this means these events are both full or it’s first come first served on the night!!! 
Friends who belong to the Association often just turn up on the night apparently. But will ask them if they’ve booked earlier. 

A friend who is a member says she doesn’t usually book online as the venue is quite large so rarely gets fully booked. 
Perhaps there is now some doubt about their exact dates or as you say not open for booking yet though it did appear as if you could yesterday but I just booked the October one. 

Edited by LinMM

On 11/09/2024 at 18:07, jmhopton said:

Could anyone inform me as to how long the ballet association events last, please. The usual format for these sort of events is the guest speaks for 45 minutes/an hour and then takes questions for as long as there are any or a max of 20/30 mins. Does the Ballet Association follow this pattern? I've never attended one as I don't live in London and can't usually justify a 500 mile round trip for what is probably a fairly short event. I'd love to attend the Vadim event but certainly can't afford an overnight and my trains back are either 9.10 or 9. 30pm. Admittedly from Euston so one or 2 stops from Goodge street or a short walk or bus ride. it's annoying as I'm in London for 2 performances of Cinderella on the Sat and the talk is on Thurs. if it had been Friday I might have given in but as it is I don't know.

Hello,

Our meetings start at 7.30pm, and last for an hour and a quarter, meaning it should finish at 8.45pm. Feel free to turn up from about 6.30/45pm onwards, and there will usually be others to talk to. We are a friendly bunch :-) I hope you can make any meetings soon.

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

This is a reminder that our meeting on Tuesday 17th September will be with choreographer and former Royal Ballet Principal Johan Kobborg. We can look forward to hearing him talk about a range of subjects, including the recent ballet he created Lucille for the Ballet National de Cuba.

This is an in person event.