Forms of address

Lizbie1

On 08/08/2024 at 13:25, Sabine0308 said:

It would be Frau Schmidt, always with the surname. Frau Sabine, in my case, would be really weird🤪

Interesting. That was the form my landlady always used, although that was a few decades ago!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

Interesting. That was the form my landlady always used, although that was a few decades ago!

Was that in Germany?

Many years ago, my friend in Texas, who tried to show his 5 year old son how to treat a Lady politely❤️, would tell him:  "open the door for Miss Sabine". So cute, he was an ol' Southerner Gentleman. (I miss him so much, he passed away 1 year ago).

• Like 1

On 09/08/2024 at 21:16, Sabine0308 said:

Was that in Germany?

Many years ago, my friend in Texas, who tried to show his 5 year old son how to treat a Lady politely❤️, would tell him:  "open the door for Miss Sabine". So cute, he was an ol' Southerner Gentleman. (I miss him so much, he passed away 1 year ago).

This is how my 6 year-old calls his English teacher (“Miss X” using her first name) and I do find it adorable 😀. By the time they are 2-3 years older, they move onto “Miss X/surname” (or Mrs/Ms) which definitely comes across as far more stern!

• Like 1