Olympic and Paralympic Observations 2024

Angela Essex

Just watching the Olympic gymnastics and am just wondering why neat hair doesn’t seem to be a thing in gymnastics (they are sporting messy buns some with multiple elastic bands of variable colours that contrast with the gymnasts hair colour and scrunchies). Meanwhile immaculate hair is a thing in ballet.

I find myself watching the Olympic gymnasts and being irritated by their hairstyles. Think I need to a) get out more and b) stop being a grumpy middle aged woman.

Please tell me I’m not the only one irked by this and that others can relate? But seriously why can’t they just do a nice bun though? 🤣

• Like 2

Sorry can’t help you there Angela!.

I’ve never been a fan of the ballet bun even and have always had very fine hair which has never looked neat unless very short. The number of times my mum tried to curl it …absolutely a non starter and hair always very wispy when put up. 
Im always secretly pleased when I see a Professional dancer daring to have a fringe lol!!

Long live La Guillaume and Miss Osipova for daring ….for a while anyway at least!!  

• Like 2

It's not a requirement to have hair buns for gymnastics- legendary gymnasts Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci used to compete with their hair in bunches, one on each side. Olympic and world champions Nastia Liukin, Carly Patterson and Lavinia Milosovici tied their hair in a short ponytail at the back.

Mary Lou Retton and Kerri Strug had short hair and just competed with it loose (Milosovici adopted this hairstyle in between the 1992 and 1996  Olympics). Shannon Miller and Lilia Podkopayeva (both of whose routines were quite balletic) liked a neat, tight ballet bun. The  function of the hairstyle is simply to keep the hair out of their eyes when executing complex moves, so it's up to the athlete to choose what feels comfortable for her. 

I must admit I hadn't really noticed the hair at these Games. I took a screenshot of Simone Biles wheh watching her (on iPlayer) perform the layout somersaults in  the floor exercise, and couldn't believe how high she was in the air! The standards she and her fellow medalists achieve nowadays are incredible. Bravissimo to them all. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Olympic Observations

My partner only just commented yesterday on some poor camera man who looked to be roughly 60 plus and seemed a bit puffed out and red faced trying to keep up with everything!  
He managed to catch Keely ringing the bell though!! 
And…What a great run from her carrying all that pressure at 22 can’t be easy but she does always look like she’s just going for a run in the local park! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

My partner only just commented yesterday on some poor camera man who looked to be roughly 60 plus and seemed a bit puffed out and red faced trying to keep up with everything!  
He managed to catch Keely ringing the bell though!! 
And…What a great run from her carrying all that pressure at 22 can’t be easy but she does always look like she’s just going for a run in the local park! 

I think it was him I saw too - he looked absolutely cream crackered!

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Olympic Observations 2024
  • 4 weeks later...

Adding a comment or three on the Paralympic opening ceremony, which I am only just watching:

The dancing! So gorgeous!

The French team, marching down the Champs-Elysées, to the song Les Champs-Elysées - fabliss. And very symbolic.

The Place de la Concorde looks wonderful. 

• Like 5

• alison changed the title to Olympic and Paralympic Observations 2024

Now that the Olympics and Paralympics are over I must commend and compliment Paris on the two sets of stunning games they have given.  Wonderful venues and backdrops, very well organised and, perhaps most importantly, an incredible amount of support from the French people and from visitors.  It was great to see such incredible attendance figures at both events, especially the Paralympics which can sometimes be sparsely attended.  Not here!  I hope all the athletes enjoyed participating as much as I enjoyed watching.  

• Like 5