Olympics Dancer

I didn't catch the pointe work but the dancer on the roof top in white trainers in the afternoon was etoile Guillaume Diop and the dancer in black dancing in (incredibly wet and rather dangerous conditions) the "fashion runway" segment on the bridge at night was etoile Germain Louvet.

Not from the ballet company, but the countertenor who was breakdancing on the river floating platform and immediately afterwards sang a baroque excerpt by Rameau beautifully was Polish countertenor Jakub Józef Orliński (who has sung in Theodora at ROH). A spectacular show and kudos to the performers for performing so well, especially in the  rain.

A pity the organisers didn't plan better to deal with the rain- raindrops constantly obscuring the  tv cameras seems like a rather rookie error  (like something I would do- not a professional!

• Like 6

Thank you for this very useful information! While unusual for an opening ceremony, it was a true testament to the beauty and history of the city! I loved it even more watching it a second time, when it all came together. 

• Like 5

It was indeed a great show. I was very worried for all the dancers, not only on the "runway floor". There were a lot of performances/dance pieces along the river and floating on the river, or the piano player Alexandre Kantorow, playing Ravel's "Jeux d'eau"!!, Juliette Armanet/Sofiane Pamart with the beautiful rendition of John Lennon's "Imagine", floating on a kind of volcano...so many beautiful scenes❤️❤️

And I LOVED the horsewoman with the metallic horse, "riding" over the river.

I hope nobody got hurt or catched a cold!!

• Like 3

Yes, the image of the horse galloping across the Seine will stay with me a long time.  I also worry about the athletes catching cold, especially those from the hot countries and unaccustomed to European summers.

8 hours ago, Emeralds said:

the countertenor who was breakdancing on the river floating platform and immediately afterwards sang a baroque excerpt by Rameau beautifully was Polish countertenor Jakub Józef Orliński (who has sung in Theodora at ROH)

Amazing.  I watched Theodora from the upper slips and at that distance I had no idea how gorgeous he is!  I have a ticket to hear him at the Wigmore in September, I'm doubly looking forward to it now.  Incidentally he's being interviewed on Radiio3 this morning.

• Like 2

Delighted that I managed to identify Guillaume Diop! And thank you for informing me that the dancer on the fashion walk-way was Germain Louvet -he was so clearly an etoile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Yes, the image of the horse galloping across the Seine will stay with me a long time.  

It will with me too, but for all the wrong reasons, unfortunately... I was horse-mad in my younger days, and they got the movement of the animatronic hind legs totally wrong.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, the image of the horse galloping across the Seine will stay with me a long time.  I also worry about the athletes catching cold, especially those from the hot countries and unaccustomed to European summers.

Amazing.  I watched Theodora from the upper slips and at that distance I had no idea how gorgeous he is!  I have a ticket to hear him at the Wigmore in September, I'm doubly looking forward to it now.  Incidentally he's being interviewed on Radiio3 this morning.

@MAB, opera glasses or binoculars always  😉 ....even for instrumental recitals! You never know what you might see! Bring them to Wigmore Hall in September- I had no idea what to expect but his Albert Hall Prom on Tuesday night was an acting and dancing extravaganza along with the singing. (JJO is clearly having a busy week!) 

At one point  in his Prom I couldn't tell if he was doing a musical or baroque opera recital, because he was actually dancing - not tap or jazz but a solo in a sort of  Graham/Ailey/Tharp style - while singing! (His breath control must be astonishing -no evidence of panting or deep intakes of breath either). About three quarters of the Wigmore Hall programme is similar to the Proms programme so you should be in for a treat. Those tickets for his recital (sold out early) are gold dust.  😀

3 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

It was indeed a great show. I was very worried for all the dancers, not only on the "runway floor". There were a lot of performances/dance pieces along the river and floating on the river, or the piano player Alexandre Kantorow, playing Ravel's "Jeux d'eau"!!, Juliette Armanet/Sofiane Pamart with the beautiful rendition of John Lennon's "Imagine", floating on a kind of volcano...so many beautiful scenes❤️❤️

And I LOVED the horsewoman with the metallic horse, "riding" over the river.

I hope nobody got hurt or catched a cold!!

Sabine, I was thinking "Poor Alexandre!" when I saw how heavy the rain was ....he was such a professional and such a  committed artist- he did not wince or show the slightest expression on his face that the rain was so heavy (and it would have been difficult to see the piano and made the keys and pedals slippery)..... I also wondered if it was an expensive grand piano because it's going to damaged by the rain now. I got rather worried for Germain because I could see puddles on rhe ground. How he could still produce such brilliant pirouettes and jetes in those wet conditions is just  incredible.

2 hours ago, Tattin said:

Delighted that I managed to identify Guillaume Diop! And thank you for informing me that the dancer on the fashion walk-way was Germain Louvet -he was so clearly an etoile.

Tattin, I must admit I had confirmation from the excellent Paris Opera social media team. 😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

It will with me too, but for all the wrong reasons, unfortunately... I was horse-mad in my younger days, and they got the movement of the animatronic hind legs totally wrong.

I know!!! It just jarred with every stride.

• Like 3

On a side note, I was very disappointed with the German TV hosts. They didn't know the names of the solo dancers, G. Diop was just "the first black soloist with Paris Opéra" 🙄, they didn't recognize Louvet, also they didn't mention the name of "the piano player" or "the singer" who sang the French anthem.

I complained online on Facebook, as did others. I am pretty sure that the names were available for press/media. I know, the very final moments were a well kept secret, but not at this point of the show. Ah well, the arts...🙄

• Like 3

@Sabine0308it wasn't just the German presenters. The Australians were appalling.

I do think the IOC/French host broadcaster should have provided text identifying people: you know, Diop looking fabulous and "GUILLAUME DIOP, ÉTOILE DU BALLET DE L'OPÉRA DE PARIS", or, during Jeux d'eau , "ALEXANDRE KANTOROW, PREMIER LAURÉAT FRANÇAIS DU CONCOURS TCHAÏKOVSKI", or as their "island" "floated" down the Seine trailing Imagine,  "JULIETTE ARMANET avec SOFIAN PAMART au piano".

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MAB said:

I’m so jealous!  I was fantasising about a front row seat, but his Wigmore Hall concert sold out way before public booking even opened (not to mention the Capucon/Hahn concert I couldn’t get to tickets for either 😢) and his evening prom was too late for me to get home from.  

I was out last night, but might try to catch some of the ceremony on catch up if possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sophoife said:

@Sabine0308it wasn't just the German presenters. The Australians were appalling.

I do think the IOC/French host broadcaster should have provided text identifying people: you know, Diop looking fabulous and "GUILLAUME DIOP, ÉTOILE DU BALLET DE L'OPÉRA DE PARIS", or, during Jeux d'eau , "ALEXANDRE KANTOROW, PREMIER LAURÉAT FRANÇAIS DU CONCOURS TCHAÏKOVSKI", or as their "island" "floated" down the Seine trailing Imagine,  "JULIETTE ARMANET avec SOFIAN PAMART au piano".

There must have been something available because the French broadcasters clearly knew every name (came out with them instantly while commenting) and I really doubt they would have been able to pick many of them out so easily (Louvet for instance had a lot of make-up on!).and give a little description of them, which they did! So it’s quite strange that the German and Australian hosts didn’t have anything! Maybe they didn’t feel comfortable trying to pronounce their names…

Edited by Garnier
  • Like 1

I'm a big early music/counter tenor fan so signed up to the Wigmore's early booking scheme.  The original idea was never to miss Les Arts Florissants, so seeing Orlinski will be a massive bonus.  One of the most enjoyable recitals I saw there this year was that of  the American counter tenor Anthony Roth Constanzo, not just a wonderful voice but a very engaging personality too, he has a great sense of fun as well and sang a duet with himself using his baritone and counter tenor voices.  I think the Wigmore Hall is fast becoming my favourite venue in London. 

• Like 4

I just watched the 'best bits' of the ceremony on the BBC website. I was out for the start and missed the first half hour or so, including, much to my annoyance, seeing Diop.  However the BBC featured Lady Gaga and I was really impressed that her act was a homage to Zizi Jeanmaire who would have been 100 this year..

Lady Gaga

https://www.filmfare.com/news/bollywood/lady-gaga-wows-at-paris-olympics-with-a-stunning-performance-67496.html 

Zizi

https://theartsdesk.com/dance/she-was-paris-rip-zizi-jeanmaire-1924-2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

@Sophoife yes, I was wondering why they did not deliver the info,  as it is usually the case for classical concerts, for example. Maybe they did a test with everyone😬

The accompanying text was certainly available.  The Czech hosts introduced all the performers by name, including Diop and Louvet.  I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

On 27/07/2024 at 14:56, Sabine0308 said:

On a side note, I was very disappointed with the German TV hosts. They didn't know the names of the solo dancers, G. Diop was just "the first black soloist with Paris Opéra" 🙄, they didn't recognize Louvet, also they didn't mention the name of "the piano player" or "the singer" who sang the French anthem.

I complained online on Facebook, as did others. I am pretty sure that the names were available for press/media. I know, the very final moments were a well kept secret, but not at this point of the show. Ah well, the arts...🙄

Sabine, for the BBC the announcer gave the names of Kantorow, Orlinski and Diop. He described Diop as "Guillaume Diop, etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet", and mentioned Orlinski was singing Rameau. Didn't mention Debussy's Jeux d'eau but I did wonder if the choice of music had the unfortunate effect of bringing more "eau" - ie from the skies - than intended! There was no commentary during the segment when Louvet was dancing- perhaps because there were a lot of performers' names to list? 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

...the BBC...[d]idn't mention Debussy's Jeux d'eau

Just as well. It's by Ravel 😘

The Debussy was Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, which came after Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

Also, I am told the French TV commentary named every single person on that "fashion" footbridge - many from the French version of RuPaul's Drag Race apparently.

Edited by Sophoife
Added last paragraph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Just as well. It's by Ravel 😘

The Debussy was Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, which came after Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

Thanks- am multitasking again, sorry ....(watching the BBC broadcast of the swimming and tennis  back and forth) and didn't notice the delete/erase button slipping ahead. Should read "Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune and Ravel's Jeux d'eau but I did wonder" (etc). 

For anyone interested, Andy Murray and Dan Evans narrowly won their men's doubles match to advance to the next round (Nishikori and Daniel almost defeated them in straight sets!) while Duncan Scott and Matthew Richards have advanced to the 200m freestyle final. Heartbreaking for Max Litchfield (GB) missing the podium of the 400m individual medley by just 0.19 seconds! Swimming is even tougher than ballet! 

Congratulations to Australia's ladies Rugby Sevens team winning their match today too. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

@Emeralds yes, I was thinking the same about the theme "water" in the performances, but it came naturally with performing on/along the river 🙈 . My friends in Texas (living in the Sabine river county) would say: they challenged the river goddess (my nickname down there 😉)!

• Like 1

By the way,  @OnePigeon and anyone who wanted to and couldn't get tickets to Orlinski's September concert at Wigmore Hall and couldn't make it to the Prom, Orliński and Il Pomo d'Oro are also performing at the Edinburgh Festival on Sat 3 August at 11am at Queen's Hall. Identical programme to the Prom (last I heard).

Tickets are currently sold out but worth checking the festival website for returns. There are direct trains to Edinburgh from London Euston but you'd have to travel the day/evening before and stay overnight to make it to Queen's Hall by 11am. Should be finished by 12.30pm or earlier to catch the train home after the concert. Of course, anyone living in the North should have a shorter journey 🙂. (The difficult part for any JJO concert as always, is getting tickets.) Ironically, the 10.15pm start of his Prom did have the advantage of making tickets easier to obtain (and Royal Albert Hall does seat over 5000). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

On 27/07/2024 at 00:34, Jeannette said:

Thank you for this very useful information! While unusual for an opening ceremony, it was a true testament to the beauty and history of the city! I loved it even more watching it a second time, when it all came together. 

Again, I liked it, despite complaints by many viewers. Still, it’s good to see that the Paris 2024 organizers (incl show director M. Jolly) apologized today to those who were offended. They also apologized for misnaming the country that is South Korea. 

http://Paris 2024 organizers (incl director M. Jolly) apologized for the opening ceremony’s kitschy Last Supper episode and for the misnaming of South Korea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCiuqSMGeUE

16 hours ago, MAB said:

I just watched the 'best bits' of the ceremony on the BBC website. I was out for the start and missed the first half hour or so, including, much to my annoyance, seeing Diop.  However the BBC featured Lady Gaga and I was really impressed that her act was a homage to Zizi Jeanmaire who would have been 100 this year..

Lady Gaga

https://www.filmfare.com/news/bollywood/lady-gaga-wows-at-paris-olympics-with-a-stunning-performance-67496.html 

Zizi

https://theartsdesk.com/dance/she-was-paris-rip-zizi-jeanmaire-1924-2020

• Thanks 1

I thought that the first ?80 minutes of the opening ceremony, including the dancing, were lamentable - boring, silly, amateur and disjointed. (And Lady Gaga had absolutely none of the style of Zizi Jeanmaire.) After the GB team had gone by and I realised there were still hours to go, I gave up and switched off. Just as well, clearly, since I missed the grotesque parody of the Last Supper. I do regret not hearing Celine Dion, but all the joy would have gone out it for me by then anyway.

• Like 4

@bridiem it's been made very clear (and was clear to me watching it live, due largely to the appearance of Philippe Katerine), that it was intended as a Dionysian bacchanal, not as a parody of or insult to the Last Supper. Hope this helps.

Bits of it were too long (the dance party) and as an Australian watching in the very wee hours, it majorly PMO the Australians came third last in the parade, by which time I kind of needed to stay up for the rest.

I will also differ from you on our impressions of the entire thing - I thought it bonkers, but brilliant - especially

- the use of dancers (apart from the terrible can-can segment - badly under-rehearsed)

- the wonderful classical music

- the brave dripping pianist Alexandre Kanterow playing Ravel so beautifully

- Zizou handing the torch over to Nadal (and the roar from the assembled athletes on the Trocadéro - for yes, folks, that's who those surrounding the mirror-Eiffel Tower platform were)

- Céline

- Tom Daley doing a Kate Winslet

- the homage to the early balloonists, not only making the flame cauldron a balloon but doing it in the Tuileries Gardens where the Montgolfier brothers first flew their balloon

- the fact that some of the pompoms used for the tribute to Jeanmaire came from the Lido museum so they're from her actual performances

- Guillaume Diop on the roof platform dancing so so beautifully 

- Germain Louvet dancing along a wet red carpet en pointe

- Louvet then styling out a bunch of tours and pirouettes à la seconde 

- the oldest living French gold medallist getting to feature, at 100, holding the torch

- Céline 

- Axelle Saint-Cirel singing the French national anthem in a Dior gown paying homage to Jessye Norman's from 1989

- Marina Viotti singing the Habanera

- the subversive performance of Ça ira

Very French, very clever, some of it dragged on a bit long, but overall good if different.

My top ever opening ceremony is still London 2012.

• Like 8