Jette Parker Young Artists

Geoff

I dunno. Seems a case of AM not letting facts get in the way of a good argument again - the Jette Parker artists have always been a very mixed bag in terms of quality, and the shortage of British singers coming through it clearly predates 2010:

https://www.rbo.org.uk/about/jette-parker-artists-programme/former-artists

The comparison with the young singers of 50 years ago is obviously a bit of a red herring in terms of the "government policy" argument - I assume he mentions them with reference to the RO not being a "true company", but the shift happened a long time ago, I presume it happened for a reason, and I can't see that model returning any time soon.

• Like 2

I wasn't free to attend the JPYA summer showcase at the weekend, but I would say that of the performances of the JPYA programme singers I've seen in operas, Gabrielė Kupšytė, Sarah Dufresne and Isabela Diaz were standouts.

Josef Jeongmeen Ahn, Michael Gibson and Jamie Woollard were great in roles that they were cast well in. Also, RB regulars may remember Ahn and Diaz singing magnificently in MacMillan's Requiem in March and April this year. 

I find that often a good JPYA is "slotted" into a role that they are either miscast in or the director/stager hasn't put as much thought into making the role suitable for them, making it look like they're not doing a great job when they actually are (whereas you can see the leads are well prepared)...and sometimes it may simply be that I strongly disagree with the director's concept for that role, haha!

The other artists, unfortunately, I haven't seen enough of or at all, to comment on their skills or performance. Maybe I'll get to see them next season before their stint runs out.  Intriguing that AM is too coy to name the two singers he praised highly but didn't mind naming a conductor! 

Anyway, Sarah Dufresne, Gabrielė Kupšytė and Isabela Diaz- 3 rising stars, ones to watch. You read it here first! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1