Australian Ballet, Jewels, Festival Theatre, Adelaide

I think Balanchine ballets are difficult to review, as which ever company is performing, the ballet will always look the same, except for the dancers. The George Balanchine Foundation ensure this is the case.

I haven't seen the Australian Ballet for several years, having been living in Birmingham for the last 30 years, so I have lost touch with the members of the company. I do know Joseph Caley, ex BRB, is a principle. Unfortunately, he wasn't dancing the night that I attended. I have long thought Caley is a very exciting dancer to watch.

Of the three acts, Emeralds, Rubies and Diamonds, all were superb, but I favoured Emeralds. Perhaps because I have been starved of ballet since I returned to Adelaide. Ask me tomorrow which was my favourite and I might well respond with one of the other two. Both Rubies and Diamonds received lots of applause for the costumes when the curtain rose, but Emeralds didn't.

The principles for Emeralds were Dimity Azoury & Misha Barkidjija and Katherine Sonnekus & Brodie James. For Rubies we saw Ako Kondo, Brett Chynoweth & Belle Urwin and for Diamonds Sharni Spencer & Callum Linnane. Chynoweth's biography indicates he guested with the BRB in 2018; I am sorry to say that I don't remember him.

Linnane was, for me, the standout male. Tall, elegant and powerful. You just couldn't take your eyes of him. As for the ladies, all are beautiful and graceful. 

The music was played by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. AFAIK, the Australian Ballet don't have a regular orchestra, using which ever orchestra is in the capital city that are performing in. When the conductor took to the stage, I recognised him as Jonathan Lo. He gets around, doesn't he?

The glittering and luscious visual ensured that the audience’s gasps grew louder with each curtain rise. This belies the complexity of the choreography, which the dancers made look effortless. The costumes are, of course, exact replicas of the originals. I read that the hundreds of rhinestones and beads sewn by volunteers from the Country Women’s Association and the Embroidery Guild of Australia. I trust they received free or cheap tickets to see the labours in action.

Jewels is a welcome and glittering escape from a dark winter’s night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Jonathan Lo is the current Music Director and Principal Conductor for The Australian Ballet. I personally have heard him more in London than in Australia in the last two years 🤣

Orchestra Victoria is actually now owned by The Australian Ballet, but they rarely tour with the company and never within Australia, as each state has its own excellent orchestras.

Callum Linnane is a superstar.

Brett Chynoweth danced the Nutcracker Prince as a guest with BRB - I was privileged to see his début in the role in Sydney - The Australian Ballet dances the Sir Peter Wright BRB production and we're getting it again in December this year (yay). I can remember Chi Cao guesting in Sydney on the back of the film of Mao's Last Dancer - he performed with his film dancing partner Madeleine Eastoe.

No, the Embroiderers and CWA needlemistresses did not, as far as I am aware, get offered free tickets, either last year or this.

• Like 2