PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES LEAVERS, PROMOTIONS AND JOINERS

AD_4nXcfedjHhFPoOrscYEgAJJLaNsRzMl-oD8t9U3DIuMPrq6dlXETxFvbPg3naoN2RH2L0KbxRvrDdbdxz7BSkXGKn-RYv2YGx_WXO_M1ogPekNC7CMJGxmAInSVjrq-4HeX0dSFbx2499HoFSbbvbI3hC-aRM?key=oDYN9XgZqQqJcwcRxpRMagPRESS RELEASE

Friday 5 July

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES 

PROMOTIONS, JOINERS AND LEAVERS FOR 2024/25 SEASON

• PRINCIPAL TYRONE SINGLETON TO LEAVE AFTER A GLITTERING 21-YEAR CAREER WITH BRB

AD_4nXdO5qzoFh17MbEniqDHfegh1z6g_ZcR2ujoDT9iNCmgX6xCZiFvSgQGMCQNuF7G67hMjIvpfhOswShV0WYT8hCruiiQIN6z5RaxpGSqfgIugaiZUXHIJd-9ikCDeJRoxoMQpARtm9lk2tSDIkMjT3Fk-hZ4?key=oDYN9XgZqQqJcwcRxpRMag

Tyrone Singleton in Swan Lake Photo Bill Cooper

Carlos Acosta, Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet, has today announced promotions within the Company and new joiners for the 2022/23 season saying: 

What a season we have had. From last autumn’s sold out premiere of Black Sabbath - The Ballet to our most successful tours of The Sleeping Beauty and BRB2, we also had our first European tour in over a decade which culminates in BRB performing in Hamburg Ballet’s summer festival – Hamburg Ballet Days - at the invitation of John Neumeier on 9 and 10 July. BRB also partnered with the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, with an exciting week of workshops, performances and demonstrations, giving audiences access to many different areas of the company’s activities, including a free family day, the chance to watch company class, public ballet classes, tutu making workshops, information sharing about backstage careers, Freefall workshops, and a special commission by one of the company’s emerging choreographers, Olivia Chang-Clarke. We also presented BRB’s first ever performance in Iceland with my Classical Selection and most recently an incredible performance of Interlinked, choreographed by Juliano Nunes on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury. 

‘I’m so proud of every single member of BRB and freelancers working with us who have performed on, and off, these various stages. As we move forward I am so happy to announce our supremely well-deserved promotions; excited to welcome the new dancers who are joining the company and to express my sincere gratitude to those who are moving on to pastures new. 

‘And what can I say about Tyrone Singleton? He is a Birmingham Royal Ballet legend.  He is adored by audiences and greatly respected by every member of the company. In his twenty-one years with BRB his tremendous contribution as a dancer, with such powerful stage presence, is undeniable; but also his work as a photographer, which I am sure he will continue, marks him out as an incredible multi-talented artist. Tyrone is extremely collaborative and wonderful to work with. He will be greatly missed and I wish him all the best for what will no doubt be an exciting future.’

Dominic Antonucci, Assistant Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet said: “Over the last twenty-one years, Tyrone Singleton has had an incredibly impressive career at BRB. Ty is a rare talent that possesses great technique, exceptional partnering skills, deep and sensitive artistry alongside boundless versatility. He has consistently delivered these qualities in BRB productions since 2003 which is an amazing individual accomplishment but also represents a tremendous contribution to the success of BRB throughout all those years. Tyrone has always been hungry to learn and grow and approaches all his work with a professionalism that has been a fine example for the younger dancers coming up through BRB. We will miss all of these qualities that Tyrone has brought to BRB but are very confident that he will find success in whatever he chooses to focus on in the future. BRB congratulates him on a superb career and wishes him every success.”

Tyrone Singleton said: ‘It is impossible to sum up the last 21 years, but some of the key words would include gratitude, fulfilment, honour, exhilaration, and appreciation. I joined Birmingham Royal Ballet at 17 years young. I have been given a vast range of opportunities and experiences which have not only developed me as a dancer and artist, but also as a human being. There are too many people and productions to name individually, but they have all shaped me, and the love and appreciation I have for that will stay with me forever. I literally wouldn’t be the man I am today, without these experiences.

I am fortunate to have been cast in an exciting project, a brand-new Amazon prime tv series, Etoile, with an incredible creative team. Such is the demand of the performing season at Birmingham Royal Ballet that these commitments cannot coexist, as I would’ve hoped. Therefore, I have to follow my heart and am excited about the next chapter. 

I had wished to share my gratitude with my loyal fans and bid farewell to the stage which I call home; however, windows of opportunity spring upon us, and we must jump in order to be able to fly. I am entirely grateful for the wings this journey has given me.’

Born in Surrey, Tryone Singleton trained at Arts Educational School in Tring and the Royal Ballet School. He joined BRB in 2003 and was promoted to Principal in 2013, he is the longest serving Principal dancer in the company’s history. Tyrone created a number of iconic roles during his time at BRB and his impact both on and off stage, as a leading, world, class figure in the industry will continue to be felt and remembered. 

Of his most challenging role: Romeo in MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet, Tyrone said: ‘For years you train to perfect your technique, and in Romeo and Juliet the technique has to be so secure that it allows you to be totally free to portray the emotion and character through your movement. The most enjoyable roles are always those I’m fully immersed in during performance, so much so that I forget who and where I am.’

Repertory includes: Frederick Ashton: La Fille mal gardée (Colas) and Dante Sonata (Child of Darkness); George Balanchine: Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (Big Boss), Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Agon; David Bintley: The Tempest (Caliban), Cinderella (Prince), Beauty and the Beast (Beast), Edward II (Gaveston, Mortimer), Aladdin ('Ruby'), Carmina burana (Third Seminarian), The Prince of the Pagodas (King of the South), 'Still Life' at the Penguin Café(Southern Cape Zebra), The Nutcracker Sweeties (Peanut Officer), The Orpheus Suite (Apollo), The Seasons ('Summer'), The Shakespeare Suite (Othello), Cyrano (Le Bret), Hobson's Choice (Salvation Army), Take Five ('Two Step') and Faster; John Cranko: The Lady and the Fool (Moondog); Mikhail Fokine: Petrushka (The Moor); Pontus Lidberg (Raúl Reinoso, Cassi Abranches): Black Sabbath – The Ballet; Kenneth MacMillan: Romeo and Juliet (Lead role), Elite Syncopations ('Bethena Concert Waltz') and Concerto pas de deux Hans van Manen: Twilight; Juliano Nunes: Interlinked; Rudolph Nureyev: Raymonda Act III (pas de quatre); Marius Petipa: Don Quixote pas de deux; Twyla Tharp: In the Upper Room and Nine Sinatra Songs ('One for My Baby'); Peter Wright's productions of The Nutcracker (Prince), The Sleeping Beauty (Cavalier), Coppélia (Franz) and Peter Wright and Galina Samsova's production of Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried, Baron von Rothbart).

In addition to his extraordinary career as a dancer he is an accomplished photographer https://www.instagram.com/dancers_eye/ who captures his artform with an exceptional eye for detail, emotion and mood. 

Tyrone’s final performances with BRB will be in Black Sabbath - The Ballet in Hamburg on 9 & 10 July 2024. 

Promotions
The following promotions have been made within the company: already announced Beatrice Parma has been promoted to Principal. Riku Ito is promoted to First Soloist and Sofia Linares, Enrique Vidal and Reina Fuchigamiare promoted to Soloist. Eilis Small is promoted to First Artist. 

BRB2 dancers Maïlène Katoch, Jack Easton Frieda Kaden, Oscar Kempsey-Fagg and Mason King have all completed the two year programme in BRB’s junior company and will join the main company as Artists.

Many congratulations to them all on this well deserved recognition of their achievements.

In addition to the above promotions Yvette Knight is moving from First Soloist to Principal Character Artist.

Joiners

After the summer break the new BRB2 cohort: Charlotte Cohen (Royal BalletSchool), Andrea Riolo (Royal Ballet School),  Noah Cosgriff (Australian Academy of Classical Ballet), Ellyne Knol (Royal Conservatoire in The Hague) joins the company with Ixan Llorca Ferrer (Escuela Nacional de Ballet Fernando Alonso) following in the autumn. Sophie Walters, who trained at Elmhurst Ballet School, completed her apprenticeship and will also join BRB2. 

From Birmingham, Marlo Kempsey-Fagg (brother of Oscar!) joins the company as Apprentice Dancer from Elmhurst Ballet School. Marlo started dancing at the age of 6 when his talent was identified in a local Birmingham Primary School and he joined BRB’s Dance Track programme.

After a 24-year long career as a dancer with BRB, Kit Holder joins the ballet staff as Artistic Coordinator and Yvette Regeuiro joins BRB as Répétiteur. 

Graduate of the National Ballet School in Havana, Yvette Regueiro joined the Cuban National Ballet Company in 1987, under the direction of Alicia Alonso. She danced a classical and neoclassical repertoire, participated in numerous tours and festivals, and was promoted to First Soloist in 1996. Alongside her career as a dancer, Yvette took part in the choreography workshops organised by Laura Alonso for the National Ballet of Cuba’s junior company. After graduating from Cuba’s University of the Arts in 2000, Yvette decided to resume her collaboration with the National Ballet School, this time as an instructor and choreographer. In 2001, she went to Switzerland and joined the Sinopia Ensemble de Danse. Since 2003, Yvette has taught dance at Dance Area.

BRB2 dancer Alfie Shacklock will also leave the company at the end of the season after successfully securing a contract as an Artist in Queensland Ballet. 

Joining the Royal Ballet Sinfonia we have Claire Dersley – Head of Orchestra Operations; Joana Valentinaviciute  - First Violin Co-leader and (in the Spring) Anna Wolstenholme Principal Flute.

Naori  Takahachi Principal Second Violin and Alan Taylor Bass left the Royal Ballet Sinfonia earlier this year.

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 100 shows a year nationally and internationally.

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances withParis Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

So I'm devastated Tyrone is leaving.  I know it has to happen but this (despite 21 years with the company) seems way too soon.

I was impressed with Alfie Shacklock when I saw him in BRB2 in April and am sorry he's not joining the company.

Congratulations to all the promotees - all very well deserved.  I'm particularly glad to see ex-NB dancer Riku Ito has been promoted.

Welcome to the joiners!

• Like 6

I'll miss Tyrone Singleton (so glad I saw him in Black Sabbath The Ballet this season before his departure- he was brilliant in it of course); such a wonderful artist, elegant dancer and brilliant partner. He and Jenna Roberts in MacMillan's Concerto 2nd movement principal couple....one of the best performances of the roles I have ever seen (sublime in the Pas de deux and outstanding in the Coda).

He and Jenna tell a funny story about Lynn Seymour coming to coach that role inspired by her and created on her - don't know if it is recorded on Youtube as Tyrone or BRB streamed it during lockdown. They were both also marvellous as Romeo and Juliet (coincidentally another Seymour role- no funny anecdote for this unfortunately). He will be greatly missed of course, but the film sounds like a fantastic project and great opportunity- hope it goes very well. 

I will also miss seeing Kit Holder on stage even though he will still be with the company. Glad to have seen him in BSTB and Sleeping Beauty this season. Congratulations to Beatrice Parma (again), Yvette Knight (brava), Riku Ito (yeah!) and all the other dancers who have been promoted, and the BRB2 dancers who have progressed to the main company, and a warm welcome to the new joiners. Best wishes to Alfie Shacklock, Naori Takahachi and Alan Taylor on their future endeavours! (I do like the fact that we get RB Sinfonia news too.)  Fewer promotions than some companies, but they could happen at other times of the year too, I suppose. I'm glad it's not a huge number of people leaving!

• Like 1

I really liked him as a dancer and was always glad when he was cast in BRB performances I went to ( along with Brandon Laurence!) 

Still looks like he’s really keen on his next venture so hope it all goes well for him. 
Twenty one years with a Company is a pretty good innings so he can be proud of that. 

• Like 3

Interesting to read Tyrone is off to film an Amazon production called Etoile…. So can we expect a glossy sleazy mini drama about the ballet world soon on our screens??? Anyone heard more on this? 

10 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Interesting to read Tyrone is off to film an Amazon production called Etoile…. So can we expect a glossy sleazy mini drama about the ballet world soon on our screens??? Anyone heard more on this? 

Google is our friend...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Also to add that really pleased the BRB2 dancers who wanted got into the Company. I loved their performances last year and certainly Riku Ito has impressed me when seen him having had to search out who he was when first saw him!! 

Edited by LinMM

I’m sad to hear that Tyrone won’t be dancing with BRB anymore. He’s such a wonderful dancer and partner and always brings emotion to his roles. I thank him for the many memorable performances I’ve seen him in and wish him a bright and rewarding future.

• Like 2

So sad to see Tyrone is leaving, such a lovely and engaging dancer to watch and it feels too soon.  I was really hoping he would be in La Fille this autumn.  

Delighted Sofia Linares has been promoted, she has always shone to me as a really classy and talented dancer.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

And in an update email from BRB Eric Pinto Cato, who has been a crowd favourite since he joined, is also going to POB.

Maybe as part of the new junior company?

This is what the BRB newsletter says, no other detail given:

Farewell to Eric Pinto Cata

Since our announcement on Friday of this year's leavers and joiners. Eric Pinto Cata has been offered and has accepted a place in the Paris Opera Ballet. We wish Eric all the very best as he takes up this exciting opportunity with what is undoubtedly one of the greatest of all ballet companies.
  • Like 1