English National Ballet promotions, joiners and leavers for 2024-25

Posted (edited)

I'm sure the official press release will be along shortly, but some great news- Gareth Haw (RBS graduate, born and raised n Wales) is being promoted to principal dancer at ENB! This comes after a successful first season coming "home" to Britain from Dresden to join ENB as first soloist, with lots of successful company debuts in Swan Lake, Giselle, Nutcracker, Theme and Variations, Inger's Carmen, new ballet Four Last Songs, etc, and his  participation and support for many charity gala efforts with his regular partner from Semperoper Ballett Dresden,  Sangeun Lee. 

From ENB's email (including other promotion, departure and joining  news): 

"Our 2023/2024 performances have concluded on a thrilling high, with more than 46,000 audience members joining us at the Royal Albert Hall for Derek Deane's magnificent Swan Lake in-the-round. As the season ends, we share several Company updates, and look forward to 2024/2025 with great excitement. We will welcome new Company members at the beginning of the season, and offer our thanks and best wishes to those who are leaving. 

Firstly, we're celebrating the following promotions within our Company ranks, announced today by Artistic Director Aaron S. Watkin. These will be in effect from the beginning of the 2024/2025 Season.

Gareth Haw has been promoted to Principal.

Precious Adams, Ivana Bueno, Lorenzo Trossello and Erik Woolhouse have been promoted to First Soloist.

Rentaro Nakaaki, Emily Suzuki and Francesca Velicu have been promoted to Soloist.

Alice Bellini, Georgia Bould, Minju Kang, Eric Snyder, Angela Wood and Rhys Antoni Yeomans have been promoted to Junior Soloist.

Claire Barrett, Emilia Cadorin, Breanna Foad, Shunhei Fuchiyama and Chloe Keneally have been promoted to First Artist.

Alongside her current role as Lead Principal, Erina Takahashi will also join the Company's Ballet Staff team as Repetiteur.

Please join us in congratulating these wonderful artists on their achievements!

New Company members:
We look forward to welcoming a number of new dancers to the Company.

From Semperoper Ballett Dresden, Swanice Luong and Madison Whiteley join as First Artists.

Alexandra Terry joins as an 8th Year Artist of the Company whilst Anri Sugiura, also from Semperoper Ballett Dresden, joins as a 4th Year Artist of the Company.

Joining as Foundation Rank Artists of the Company are Thalina Chapin, Marta Monesi, Nathaniel Ritter-Magot, Paulo Gonzalez and Vincent Philp.

Joining the Company as Prix de Lausanne Dancer is Martinho Santos, who won a prize at this year’s Competition.

Departures:
As previously announced, after 19 years with the Company, First Soloist Alison McWhinney leaves to take up a position with Queensland Ballet.

First Artist Van Le Ngoc leaves the Company after 21 years to pursue other interests.

Also leaving at the end of the season are Artists of the Company Matei-Hadrian Holeleu, Hamish Longley and William Yamada.

Soloist Fernando Carratala Coloma, First Artist Rebecca Blenkinsop, Junior Soloist Victor Prigent and Artist of the Company Archie Sullivan left English National Ballet mid-season.

Repetiteur, Antonio Castilla, also left the Company mid-season to take up a new role at San Francisco Ballet.

We offer our sincere thanks to each of these artists for their many contributions, and wish them all the very best in their future endeavours."

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hmm, I see those emails must have been staggered - mine only arrived 10 minutes ago!  Thanks for posting, and congratulations to all the promotees.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm totally a garden variety member of the public, so my email is just general marketing with no embargo of any kind. 😀  Am very pleased to see so many hardworking talented dancers receiving the promotion and acknowledgement after their brilliant performances.

Double promotion for Ivana Bueno!- which is definitely well deserved. (I thought she deserved a double promotion from First Artist to Soloist last September after her fine performances at short notice substituting for Emma Hawes as Cinderella, because First Artist and Junior Soloist have almost the same pay and didn't feel like enough recognition, but hey, better late than never!)  Congratulations to all those promoted- I heartily agree with pretty much all of it. A warm welcome to all those joining, and very best wishes to those who are leaving for pastures new. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Pleased with the promotions all well deserved - however I think Katja Khaniukova definitely deserves to be promoted to Principal. She is a fantastic ballerina and her promotion is long overdue 🤷🏾

• Like 8

The press release:

01 July 2024

English National Ballet today announces promotions and new joiners for the 2024-2025 season

Aaron S. Watkin, Artistic Director of English National Ballet, has today announced promotions within the Company, new joiners for the 2024-2025 season and those leaving. 

Promotions

The following promotions have been made within the Company, with effect from the start of the 2024-2025 season.

Gareth Haw has been promoted to Principal.

Precious Adams, Ivana Bueno, Lorenzo Trossello and Erik Woolhouse have been promoted to First Soloist. 

Emily Suzuki, Rentaro Nakaaki and Francesca Velicu have been promoted to Soloist. 

Alice Bellini, Georgia Bould, Minju Kang, Eric Snyder, Angela Wood and Rhys Antoni Yeomans have been promoted to Junior Soloist. 

Claire Barrett, Emilia Cadorin, Breanna Foad, Shunhei Fuchiyama and Chloe Keneally have been promoted to First Artist. 

Alongside her current role as Lead Principal, Erina Takahashi will also join the Company's Ballet Staff team as Repetiteur. 

Joiners 

Swanice Luong and Madison Whiteley join as First Artists. 

Alexandra Terry joins as an 8th Year Artist of the Company whilst Anri Sugiura joins as a 4thYear Artist of the Company. 

Joining as Foundation Rank Artists of the Company are Thalina Chapin, Marta Monesi, Nathaniel Ritter-Magot, Paulo Gonzalez and Vincent Philp. 

Joining the Company as Prix de Lausanne Dancer is Martinho Santos. 

Leavers 

As previously announced, after 19 years with the Company, First Soloist Alison McWhinneyleaves to take up a position with Queensland Ballet. 

First Artist Van Le Ngoc leaves the Company after 21 years to pursue other interests. 

Also leaving at the end of the season are Artists of the Company Matei-Hadrian Holeleu, Hamish Longley and William Yamada. 

Soloist Fernando Carratala Coloma, First Artist Rebecca Blenkinsop, Junior Soloist Victor Prigent and Artist of the Company Archie Sullivan left English National Ballet mid-season. 

Repetiteur, Antonio Castilla, also left the Company mid-season to take up a new role at San Francisco Ballet.

English National Ballet’s 2024-2025 season, its 75th, starts in September with Akram Khan’s Giselle at Sadler’s Wells, London, and preparations for the world premiere of a new Nutcrackerfor Christmas 2024. Tickets are on sale now, for more information see www.ballet.org.uk

Notes to Editors
English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world class ballet to the widest possible audience through performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as Dance for Parkinson’s; and through talent development initiatives including Ballet Futures which looks to create a more diverse and inclusive future for the artform.

English National Ballet continues to add ground-breaking new works to its repertoire whilst celebrating the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw the Company enter a new chapter in its history with a move to a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, allowing a renewed commitment to creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hoping Katja Khaniukova gets cast in the new Nutcracker and the Forsythe programme to make the case that ENB can and ought to have another female principal (ie her of course).

I think Haw had to come first because of the great shortage of male principals at ENB and he has been dancing at principal standard all season- although in truth he is protected from the pressures that other first soloists like Khaniukova and  McCormick face, whereby they can be both cast in demi soloist roles as well as being understudy for lead roles, and being thrown on with new partners at the last minute. (Haw was protected because Sangeun Lee needs a partner tall enough, and if he gets ill or injured Lee will probably have to be sidelined as well, so he had an easier time.) But to be fair, he has actually danced with the authority, technique and charisma of a principal since his first day at ENB. He's definitely earned it. 

Hope Katja will be next to get promotion to principal - her Giselle was a masterclass in how the ballet should be danced.  Final PS - am also very pleased Lorenzo Trossello has been promoted as well, given his excellent performances in lead roles. 

• Like 5

I should have said that, although I am a bit out of date with ENB, I am absolutely thrilled to see that ex-NB favourites Lorenzo and Minju have been promoted.

Huge congratulations to all the promotees, welcome to the joiners and very best wishes for the future to those who are leaving.

• Like 4

It feels like a number of these promotions were long overdue and it’s great to see them! Particularly thrilled for the gorgeous Francesca Velicu

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I might have to start a #Justice for Khaniukova campaign, how was she left out of the promotions?  Congrats to everyone else though, some of them have been dancing way above their rank (and pay grade) for some time.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Principal even for Yuhui Choe!

(with apologies to Sir William Gilbert)

😄  

Wrong dance company but am guessing it was for the comedy factor, Sophoife...very good. 😄

I think second person on that list would be Daniel McCormick, for his excellent performances in both leading (Prince Guillaume, Nephew, Albrecht etc) and support roles (Spanish and Pas de Douze in Swan Lake, Peasant pas de deux). 

Third would be Francesca Velicu for her obvious quality- she's been rock solid, giving beautiful performances with technical assurance (double and triple fouettes and pirouettes, no problem) and beautiful artistry, extremely versatile- Bausch Rite of Spring to Clara to Wilis etc. But of late she has not been cast in sufficient lead parts, which she is more than  able to deliver.

They must start casting Velicu as Juliet, Giselle (both versions), Swanilda (please bring back Hynd's Coppelia, Aaron- the Emerging Dancer competition reminded me how much it's missed), Aurora, Cinderella, Medora (either the pas de trois or  the full Corsaire ever comes back), Theme and Variations,  Odette-Odile - she has had the technique and artistry to dance them for the last 8 years at least.

We can't keep having her only in demi soloist parts and modern roles, reliable as she is in everything. And of course, Sugar Plum or Clara/Sugar Plum this December, whichever type of Nutcracker Ms Smith and Mr Warkin are planning. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Apparently AW has removed the rank of principal which I think is a good thing.

(sorry wrong impression : Gareth Haw will be the only principal)  😀   he is not there yet 

Edited by MAX

21 hours ago, MAB said:

Francesca Velicu should be a principal.

Definitely.  I've always had a special fondness for her since winning her signed pointe shoes in the Balletco forum prize draw.  She's a brilliant dancer.   

• Like 4

Wonderfully warm and all around appreciation for Erina Takahashi’s appointment as a repetiteur, after a rigorous audition process described by Aaron.  

many congratulations to Erina 👏👏👏

• Like 3