Baryshnikov on leaving Russia

On 30/06/2024 at 11:47, Sebastian said:

A beautiful interview with Baryshnikov from Friday’s New York Times (behind a paywall but this link may work for a while):-

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/28/arts/dance/mikhail-baryshnikov-soviet-union-defection.html?unlocked_article_code=1.3k0.Jxpm.XxFdMhRung0c&smid=url-share

Thanks for posting that.  I saw him live twice in the 80's including dancing Rhapsody which was created on him.  He remains in my mind the best I've ever seen.  A couple of years before the pandemic he brought a show about the poet Brodsky to the West End as was as compelling as ever moving to music and words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

A couple of years before the pandemic he brought a show about the poet Brodsky to the West End as was as compelling as ever moving to music and words.

I’d not heard of this…. Anymore info/recordings? 

40 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

An interview - https://thetheatretimes.com/interview-mikhail-baryshnikov-premiere-brodskybaryshnikov-project-london/

My memory is that, although the performance was mostly spoken [Russian and some English] poetry and prose, there was music and in the second act, an extended piece of movement (wearing minimal clothes!) to music.  The whole evening was epically Russian - sponsored by some vodka company, it was about half an hour late starting because the audience, largely Russian, was so busy boozing in the bars.  I thought it was quite funny, given how Americanised Baryshnikov is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

It was in 2017.  On 3-7 May 2017  at the Apollo Theatre in the West End, Peanut68. A lot of these one man or two man shows aren't publicised much but still sell out. I passed Mandy Patinkin's (no advertising either) just sitting on the bus- would have gone but not enough days in the week (or weekend)!.

Baryshnikov's show was poetry reading, not dance (his description), if that's any consolation? He toured it in USA, Israel and Canada too, from 2016 to 2018.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1