Rosella Hightower

Hi everyone

I was wondering if Anyone had information on thé summer intensive at Rosella Hightower. If its Easy to comunicate with teachers and other students given that it is in France? Also is anyone attending thé audition this year ans knows the repertoire list that we can chose from. Im not sure why but i cant seem to access it. Finally could someone Please let me know about the audition process- how Many people they tend to take and What students need to wear. Thank yiu so much any information Will be greatly appreciated.

PNSD Rosella Hightower is a school in France that accepts students from all over the world. Academics are taught in French.

There is no audition required for the summer intensive.

The closing date for applications to full-time courses for 2024-25 was 16 June, 2024.

If you/your dancing child wishes to audition for a full-time course, this is the page in English with forms. If your first/easiest language is Italian, go here. For French, go here.

There is no repertoire required to be prepared for auditions for 16U pupils, auditions take the form of classes.

For those applying to the upper school, the dress code is on the application form:

- Girls dress code: sleeveless leotard, pink tights, demi-pointes or pointes, hair in a ballet bun

- Boys dress code: fitted t-shirt, black or grey tights, demi-pointes 

Applicants must prepare two variations, one "from the classical repertoire" which basically means just about anything (there is no specific list prescribed), and one "a contemporary or personal" variation, so something like Forsythe or something the applicant has created themselves.

HTH

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

Slightly perturbed, in this day and age, to see *pink* tights specified, but at least I see there's no mention of shoe colour.

As someone who has kids studying ballet in France, this is still the norm in every uniform list I've seen so far (although I know that at the Opéra de Paris at least the professionals are definitely now able to use the colour that they feel most appropriate to their skin tone). I suspect that it's more of a habit than anything (the lists in the big schools and conservatories probably haven't changed in decades...) and that no one would look askance if a child were not to follow it - the French (in my experience at least!) not necessarily being as strict about following 'rules' as the British :-). Having said that, I do expect that there will be some kind of a wake-up moment in a few years and that the schools will follow suit and change their lists.

I saw a child recently (who had come from abroad) wearing skin-toned tights and shoes in a class and it really looked so much lovelier (and the teacher didn't comment as far as I'm aware)! In my opinion, those salmon-pink tights don't look right on anyone.

Edited by Garnier
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My DD has an offer to start year 7 in Rosella Hightower this September. We did go in April for a week intensive course before audition and to my experience, most teachers are speaking English, and communication has been quite smooth. They are known to be quite strict on the basic. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2024 at 16:54, Siqiuk said:

My DD has an offer to start year 7 in Rosella Hightower this September. We did go in April for a week intensive course before audition and to my experience, most teachers are speaking English, and communication has been quite smooth. They are known to be quite strict on the basic. Hope it helps.

Thank you! It was a really great experience and a beautiful school! the teachers were incredible. I do speak French so was a little easier but would have been fine even if not! Best of luck for next year!

• Like 1