Press Release: Filmed version of Julie Cunningham & Company's how did we get here? starring Spice Girl Melanie C released on Digital Stage

b656a0e1eed160fcb5647e4b81ee125a27a9abf5.png

For immediate release: Wednesday 26 June 2024

Jules Cunningham’s collaboration with Spice Girl Melanie C and Harry Alexander how did we get here? released on Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage for free

Sadler’s Wells today releases a filmed version of Julie Cunningham & Company’s how did we get here? – a collaboration between Sadler’s Wells Associate Artist Jules Cunningham, Spice Girl Melanie C and Harry Alexander. The film is available to watch for free on Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage from today for a month, until Thursday 25 July. 

how did we get here? received its world premiere at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in January 2023, and explores the unique physicality of these three performers, as they strip back familiarity and habit to reveal what’s written and held in the body. The intimate production, originally performed in the round with audiences sat on stage, has been captured from multiple angles to offer yet more perspectives on the work. 

Originally commissioned by Sadler’s Wells, the production was developed over 10 months in 2022 and introduced a new audience to contemporary dance. how did we get here? marked Melanie C’s professional contemporary dance debut. Harry Alexander received a nomination for Outstanding Male Modern Performance at the 24th National Dance Awards for his performance.

Jules Cunningham said:
“It was an incredible experience to work with Melanie and Harry on how did we get here? The process was very intimate - getting to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses and growing trust enabled us to be connected in a way that we could show ourselves fully through the performance. This work is about what a person physically holds in their body through a lifetime of experience, and how that experience might be expressed in every moment. I'm excited that we are able to share it with a wider audience, from a different perspective, through this film.”

Melanie C said:
As a classically trained dancer, it was a dream come true for me to perform at Sadler’s Wells and even more so on an adventurous and groundbreaking project like this. My mind is blown when I think about starting my career with the Spice Girls, in the crazy glare of popular culture and then, 25 years later, I’m coming to perform with artists of the calibre of Jules, on the stage at Sadler’s Wells. It’s a full circle cultural moment for me and I’m pinching myself! how did we get here? felt like a real journey for all of us and I’m extremely proud of what we achieved. It was also a real pleasure for me to be able to bring my fans on this journey, and introduce many of them to the world of contemporary dance for the first time. I hope that this performance and film encourages more people to try something new, it’s been a revelation for me."

Sir Alistair Spalding CBE, Sadler’s Wells Artistic Director and Co-Chief Executive, said:
“At Sadler’s Wells it’s always our ambition to commission exciting, innovative work and share it with as wide an audience as possible. We started conversations with Jules in 2022 about creating new work and they came to us with their dream of working with Melanie C and long-term collaborator Harry Alexander. how did we get here? is a beautiful work about emotion, about feeling, life, and experiences. Melanie’s involvement brought Jules’s brilliant choreography, and contemporary dance, to a whole new audience. People travelled across the world to catch it and we had many repeat visits. We hope, by bringing a filmed version to Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage, we can further extend the reach and share this work with even more people.”

Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage allows audiences to experience world-class dance in a range of formats from in depth conversations with choreographers to documentaries, podcasts to free activity and educational packs.

What else is new on Digital Stage:

Choreographer Conversations: Crystal Pite and Jonathon Young

Sir Alistair Spalding CBE speaks to choreographer and Artistic Director of Kidd Pivot, Crystal Pite, and theatre director, Jonathon Young.

The conversation reflects on their creative partnership, which has resulted in award-winning productions that merge storytelling and dance, including the multi-award winning Betroffenheit and Revisor, and Assembly Hall which received its UK premiere at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in March 2024.

Elixir on Digital Stage: Longevity in Dance

To coincide with Elixir Festival 2024, Digital Stage presents Longevity in Dance – a series of short films by exceptional global artists, which rethink perceptions around dance and age. In brand-new commissions, learn more about the practice of dance artists Aditi Mangaldas and Paco Peña, and watch the incredible Louise Lecavalier in rehearsal.

The varied programme also takes viewers behind-the-stage with The Exchange, a joyful documentary on how members of Sadler’s Wells Company of Elders came together with ZooNation Youth Company, to make a hip-hop infused performance. 

NOTES TO EDITORS

About Sadler’s Wells     
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.   

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring more than 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. Our acclaimed productions tour the world. Since 2005 we’ve produced 64 new full-length works and performed to audiences of more than two million, touring to 51 countries.   

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage.  

Sadler’s Wells East  
In 2024 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the new Rose Choreographic School and the hip hop theatre training centre, Academy Breakin’ Convention.  

Sadler’s Wells East joins the rich cultural heritage of Stratford, opening in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as part of the East Bank development alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A. Sadler’s Wells East will support artist development and training, and the creation of new work. It will build the infrastructure for dance and make it accessible to more people. Sadler’s Wells East will house a flexible theatre presenting a wide variety of dance performances. Community will be at the heart of Sadler’s Wells East with a large open foyer that can be used by everyone as a meeting or performance space. There will also be dance studios and world-class dance facilities for dancemakers to train, create and rehearse productions. 

Supporting artists
Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today. We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.   

Learning and community links
Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally.   

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.   

www.sadlerswells.com   

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media    
Facebook: @SadlersWells    
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells    
Instagram: @sadlers_wells    
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre

8d8d9b80dfa2c1b2cdc6ad4442b0c089f260781d.png