New CEO and AD at the Royal Ballet School

Geoff

On 13/07/2024 at 05:34, taxi4ballet said:

Interesting that he says 'the boys showed more confidence and individuality than the girls'. One can't help wondering whether that may be down to differences in the training methods, and that boys are actively encouraged to show individuality, whereas the girls are mostly drilled in corps work from dawn to dusk, which suppresses their individual artistic expression. Just a thought.

My assumption is that individuality and standing out are extremely undesirable qualities in the younger ages. Conformity seems to be preferred, as well as visual height/age appropriateness. Had I have known this, I almost definitely would have made very different decisions. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Missing subject matter
  • Like 3

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

My assumption is that individuality and standing out are extremely undesirable qualities in the younger ages. Conformity seems to be preferred, as well as visual height/age appropriateness. Had I have known this, I almost definitely would have made very different decisions. 

Are you able to clarify what you mean by this?

In my ancient book written in the 70s  “Life at the Royal Ballet School” the writer states that boys have more chance to be individuals. I think this is very interesting, we seem to be at an odd crossroads where in some ways we are being inclusive but in others it’s as narrow as ever and girls still in many ways are the victims of this. From what I’ve seen with boys at my DD’s upper school show there  isn’t a shortage of male talent or “lost generation” at all, they are fabulous and confident. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I think the article mentioned is talking about senior students and/or upper school level?

7 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

In my ancient book written in the 70s  “Life at the Royal Ballet School” the writer states that boys have more chance to be individuals.

I loved that book. I still have it somewhere ...unless my daughter took it with her when she left home!

• Like 2

I loved it too. It was quite quaint!
Darcey Bussell had it and refers to it as The Book in her autobiography - she had to persuade her mum to let her go there, she was so obsessed ! 

• Like 1

Changes to audition process.

We will no longer accept students to join the School in the final year of either the Foundation (Year 9) or Development (Year 11) programmes. This decision is made to prioritise students’ well-being and avoid disruption to their academic education, allowing them to settle into school life and develop in the School’s System of Training and style before being asked to audition for the following training programme.’

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2024/07/22/changes-to-the-royal-ballet-schools-auditions/

Edited by Doing Dance 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Hopefully that means they won't assess anyone out of those two year groups either.

Those are the two year groups when they do have to re-audition for the next programme, so they are saying that from now on they won't take anyone as a new starter into Y9 or Y11 (as they would then have to re-audition along with the rest of their year group a few months later).  

I thought they already no longer assessed students out of years 7-9 just that at ALL have to re audition to continue at the school at end of year 9. 
I don’t know though whether they have to be offered an audition by the school or all can just take it. 

This makes sense Education wise as if have to change schools then it’s usually at the point you are choosing GCSE subjects. 
I think it’s also a good idea to have no disruption in the next two years when studying for GCSE in years 10 and 11 

Many non vocational kids have to change schools to do A levels at Year 12 as not all schools have sixth form departments and there has been a trend for sixth form colleges. 
So if unfortunately you should be assessed out at end of year 11 or just have had a change of heart by then it should not be so difficult to fit into another school environment. 

This all seems good to me. 

Edited by LinMM

53 minutes ago, BalletParent123 said:

Those are the two year groups when they do have to re-audition for the next programme, so they are saying that from now on they won't take anyone as a new starter into Y9 or Y11 (as they would then have to re-audition along with the rest of their year group a few months later).  

Yes, I meant that they wouldn't assess anyone out at the end of Y8 or 10.

Sorry I see what you mean now @taxi4ballet . They don't assess out anymore in any other year at White Lodge.

Everyone has the option to audition for the next stage of the programme in Y9 and then again in Y11 (if they want to of course - some might decide to move on by their own choice, as is the case in any year). 

Edited by BalletParent123
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Doing Dance 1 said:

Changes to audition process.

We will no longer accept students to join the School in the final year of either the Foundation (Year 9) or Development (Year 11) programmes. This decision is made to prioritise students’ well-being and avoid disruption to their academic education, allowing them to settle into school life and develop in the School’s System of Training and style before being asked to audition for the following training programme.’

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2024/07/22/changes-to-the-royal-ballet-schools-auditions/

I wonder if this means there will be completely no new students joining these two year groups moving forwards, even those from say, the summer intensives or competitions, often young dancers from overseas.  Or just that they won’t be holding auditions for these year groups.

• Like 2

That's a fair point and it will be interesting to see what happens. I guess they may invite those that they really want to join a different year group than they 'should' be in age wise, which is quite common. 

TBH I've always assumed that no one would take up the offer of a Y9 place without having had a pretty strong steer from the school that they will be successful in getting through to Y10 (and I personally think a y9 place wouldn't be offered if the school weren't fairly certain about that) but I guess this takes away the option. 

2 minutes ago, BalletParent123 said:

That's a fair point and it will be interesting to see what happens. I guess they may invite those that they really want to join a different year group than they 'should' be in age wise, which is quite common. 

TBH I've always assumed that no one would take up the offer of a Y9 place without having had a pretty strong steer from the school that they will be successful in getting through to Y10 (and I personally think a y9 place wouldn't be offered if the school weren't fairly certain about that) but I guess this takes away the option. 

Absolutely agree with you. It would be quite risky if there was a possibility someone could only stay a year. Yes, I’ve also seen dancers being placed either in year groups above or below what they would normally be had they been in “normal schools”. I guess it’s not so much of an issue if someone wasn’t in a U.K. school but I always did wonder how it works if someone U.K. - educated was placed in a year that they normally wouldn’t be in age-wise. Do they, for example’s sake, repeat academics they’ve already covered previously in normal school or do they maybe attend academic classes with the year they should have been in age-wise? 

Just reading the email about this. 

Does it mean that for upper school my DC will do an in person first round auditin, and then a video if selected for semi final, followed by in person final?

• Like 1

On 15/07/2024 at 12:56, Kerfuffle said:

In my ancient book written in the 70s  “Life at the Royal Ballet School” the writer states that boys have more chance to be individuals. I think this is very interesting, we seem to be at an odd crossroads where in some ways we are being inclusive but in others it’s as narrow as ever and girls still in many ways are the victims of this. From what I’ve seen with boys at my DD’s upper school show there  isn’t a shortage of male talent or “lost generation” at all, they are fabulous and confident. 

I absolutely LOVED that book as a child! Would love to reread it now…I read it so many times (at our school library, not in the UK) that many of the photos are still etched in my mind!

• Like 3

On 15/07/2024 at 23:26, Kerfuffle said:

I loved it too. It was quite quaint!
Darcey Bussell had it and refers to it as The Book in her autobiography - she had to persuade her mum to let her go there, she was so obsessed ! 

I was at school with 8 of the students all photographed in the book, all assessed out. 4 in my own year and 4 in the year above, back in the day when they assessed out in yr 8 and 9.

They felt very differently about the book. Interesting how the reality can be from the dream  but also how the book was inspiring to many. One of those girls was accepted back to RBS at 16.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Does it mean that for upper school my DC will do an in person first round auditin, and then a video if selected for semi final, followed by in person final?

It seems that way…. Very bizarre 

4 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

I was at school with 8 of the students all photographed in the book, all assessed out. 4 in my own year and 4 in the year above, back in the day when they assessed out in yr 8 and 9.

They felt very differently about the book. Interesting how the reality can be from the dream  but also how the book was inspiring to many. One of those girls was accepted back to RBS at 16.

Interesting they don’t want them in yr 8 or 9 yet will take them back at 16 in US when someone else has done the majority of the development training … 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

It was the same this year.  In person, then if successfull a video is requested and then if successful again, Finals.

London was covered by actual RBS Upper School teacher, Birmingham was covered by an Associate teacher

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The red shoes said:

Interesting they don’t want them in yr 8 or 9 yet will take them back at 16 in US when someone else has done the majority of the development training … 

Yes. Exactly. Yr8 she was assessed out.

• Like 2

The chapter on assessments is quite blunt, talks about growing into the wrong shape and no audience wanting to see “hefty” ballerinas. Also mentions that they used to check out the size and proportions of parents to predict the outcome of puberty. Lots of old fashioned expressions such as “woe betide” used too. It feels like it was written in a time when RBS had a stronger sense of itself, with Ninette de Valois’s vision of British ballet at its core. 

5 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

So interesting to hear how they responded at a time when RBS was cloaked in mystery other than the book. The feelings of rejection were probably as bad and possibly worse as there were fewer known alternatives for training. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

So interesting to hear how they responded at a time when RBS was cloaked in mystery other than the book. The feelings of rejection were probably as bad and possibly worse as there were fewer known alternatives for training. 

I only know that the ones in my year were deeply affected for a long time.

• Like 5