New CEO and AD at the Royal Ballet School

Geoff

What the RBS needs is someone who can lead the school in training young people to become the dancers the Royal Ballet company is looking for. I don't know all that much about him, but from what I've read, it seems that he could well be the AD to do just that.

• Like 7

I met him several times when I had students at YBS and found him to be very approachable, considerate of the students and an outstanding and professional teacher.   Personally, I think he'll make an excellent AD and will perhaps change the atmosphere at RBS positively.

• Like 10

On 20/06/2024 at 16:51, taxi4ballet said:

What the RBS needs is someone who can lead the school in training young people to become the dancers the Royal Ballet company is looking for. I don't know all that much about him, but from what I've read, it seems that he could well be the AD to do just that.

To do that you need to be a teacher with an eye for potential candidates for the royal ballet school  Mr Mackay has no qualifications

and to lead a a cohort of teachers at the school who may have more experience than he does is perhaps difficult , as long as he gets a good team around him  , he should do ok . Sounds a very nice man but the school needs a revolution 😂 is he the man  . I hope so because le last ten years have been poor .

yes you get 100% employment but how many from White Lodge  ,bring these dancers from YAGP and prix de Lausanne for a year or two for and say Royal Ballet trained , makes me uncomfortable, but I see other top schools do the same  .

sorry about the rant  

Mart 

15 minutes ago, mart said:

To do that you need to be a teacher with an eye for potential candidates for the royal ballet school  Mr Mackay has no qualifications

and to lead a a cohort of teachers at the school who may have more experience than he does is perhaps difficult , as long as he gets a good team around him  , he should do ok . Sounds a very nice man but the school needs a revolution 😂 is he the man  . I hope so because le last ten years have been poor .

yes you get 100% employment but how many from White Lodge  ,bring these dancers from YAGP and prix de Lausanne for a year or two for and say Royal Ballet trained , makes me uncomfortable, but I see other top schools do the same  .

sorry about the rant  

Mart 

Would you have had a candidate in mind?

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Would you have had a candidate in mind?

Someone like Jean Yves Esquerre who runs European ballet school or Patrick Armand who was A D at San Fran  or a woman with experience and vision 

But I do wish Mr Mackay the best  we shall see 

On 25/06/2024 at 15:06, mart said:

sorry about the rant  

Mart 

Well the current lot aren't getting it right, so perhaps a pair of fresh eyes is what the school needs. It isn't just about spotting early talent, it is nurturing that talent all the way through the school in the right way, so that they produce the kind of dancer that the Royal Ballet company is looking for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do think it is a very wise ‘read the room’ move to separate out the roles of CEO & AD and so split off the commercial/money making element away from the person responsible for talent spotting/nurturing/developing.

I did work wonder if the lines had become somewhat blurred of late….IMHO 

• Like 7

I think Iain is a marvellous choice. He is inspirational and down to earth. He was the reason my daughter continued to dance after lockdown; she had become so despondent that his enthusiasm and coaching sparked her passion for ballet again.

He was also at the RAD on their Project B day. His answers on panel were spot on. I have no doubt he will do what he needs to at the RBS. Best of luck to him 

• Like 9