New CEO and AD at the Royal Ballet School

Geoff

• Jan McNulty changed the title to New CEO and AD at the Royal Ballet School

Wonderful choice of artistic director for RBS. An inspiring dancer and teacher, who trained as a Scottish Ballet Junior Associate, at Dance School of Scotland and at RBS Upper School. Congratulations to Iain and to RBS!

• Like 1

This sounds like excellent news. So what do people think about the new CEO + AD team in relation to the subject we must speak about only very carefully? Are these two men good choices when it comes to repairing the reputational damage to the RBS brand following the BBC‘s Panorama programme (the content of which we probably shouldn’t discuss as there may still be legal issues)?

For example, what recommendations do current and former parents and pupils suggest the new leaders implement with regard to pastoral care and other non-curriculum matters? 

• Like 1

An excellent appointment - a genuinely kind considerate man. my daughter had some audition prep online classes with him - part training and part mentoring. His influence remains with her now she is in an US - delighted for him and everyone at RBS. 

• Like 3

Well I didn’t foresee that one! Interesting & I do see it as a positive choice having a split of roles - complete conflict before IMHO having one person trying to head up both the commercial & artistic sides of leadership.

The appointment of Iain Mackay does suggest that more efforts being put into appointing a genuine nurturer as opposed to just a ‘big ballet world presence’ person. I think this bodes well for those currently at & those soon to join RBS! Incidentally, is this appointment to head up both White Lodge & Upper School? I had thought this change in leadership time perhaps may have seen some possible division as the split site must make it hard to be in daily contact with all staff/pupils…. I’d have liked to see maybe s new tier in place at each site for sone sort of ‘artistic pastoral’ lead too…if that makes sense? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose  that the new AD will have a strong emphasis on the English style - it will be interesting to see if more British  students are successful higher up the school system including getting upper school places. 

• Like 6

Perhaps a woman should have been given the opportunity to change the school it seems same old same philosophy ,don’t rock the boat but it needs rocking 

mr Mackay comes over as a very nice man but with little experience in education of students  a short time at YBS and at the RBS .his social media is very focused on extreme fitness  , but let’s be hopeful he can turn the school towards excellence 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mart said:

Perhaps a woman should have been given the opportunity to change the school it seems same old same philosophy ,don’t rock the boat but it needs rocking 

mr Mackay comes over as a very nice man but with little experience in education of students  a short time at YBS and at the RBS .his social media is very focused on extreme fitness  , but let’s be hopeful he can turn the school towards excellence 

Which woman  would you have hired?

I believe Samira Saidi would kick the RBS into what it should be or if they wanted a name it’s up to the board of governors or they are scared of changing 

• Like 1

mr Mackay comes over as a very nice man but with little experience in education his social media is very focused on extreme fitness  , but let’s be hopeful he can turn the school towards excellence 

Ciyntia Harvey ex AD of ABT school a name and a good woman 

16 minutes ago, mart said:

Ciyntia Harvey ex AD of ABT school

That's Cynthia Harvey, please.

Ms Harvey is in great demand as a coach, répétiteur, guest teacher and stager.

Leading the JKO School through the lockdown and isolation stages of Covid, she was stuck 3,000 miles away from family. It may well have burned her out from leading a school, at least for a few more years.

She's also delightful in person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

That's Cynthia Harvey, please.

Ms Harvey is in great demand as a coach, répétiteur, guest teacher and stager.

Leading the JKO School through the lockdown and isolation stages of Covid, she was stuck 3,000 miles away from family. It may well have burned her out from leading a school, at least for a few more years.

She's also delightful in person.

I did not check  I of course know her name and how to spell it  how pedantic of you 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mart said:

I did not check  I of course know her name and how to spell it  how pedantic of you 

I have met Cynthia many times a very charming woman 

2 hours ago, mart said:

mr Mackay comes over as a very nice man but with little experience in education his social media is very focused on extreme fitness  , but let’s be hopeful he can turn the school towards excellence 

Ciyntia Harvey ex AD of ABT school a name and a good woman 

Iain was the Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Seminars and has been doing ballet coaching for some years since he retired as a principal dancer from BRB.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Iain was the Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Seminars and has been doing ballet coaching for some years since he retired as a principal dancer from BRB.

With great respect YBS is not much more than a summer school and coaching does not make an AD 

what the RBS needs is a way to nurture and find uk talent ,unfortunately the teaching in the regions is perhaps not on a par with other countries, ballet training is hard you have to be dedicated and parents must realise that it’s a difficult journey.

saying this I wish Mr Mackay the best and hope he can turn the school back to what it should be  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mart said:

With great respect YBS is not much more than a summer school and coaching does not make an AD 

what the RBS needs is a way to nurture and find uk talent ,unfortunately the teaching in the regions is perhaps not on a par with other countries, ballet training is hard you have to be dedicated and parents must realise that it’s a difficult journey.

saying this I wish Mr Mackay the best and hope he can turn the school back to what it should be  

If you search the internet you will find what Mr Mckay achieved during his time as Director of the YBS...

23 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Time will tell but I am sure that Iain will bring a great deal to the AD's post at RBS.

Let us hope so because it needs a lot of change to bring it up to what it should be, wether Mr Mackay is able to do so only time will tell , as before I wish him the best 

13 hours ago, mart said:

… what the RBS needs is a way to nurture and find uk talent ,unfortunately the teaching in the regions is perhaps not on a par with other countries

I wonder if RBS have launched their ATAP programme specifically to tackle this.

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/dancer-training/dance-teacher-training/affiliate-training-and-assessment-programme/#1642175825222-07edec9d-c2ef

Edited by Doing Dance 1

6 hours ago, Doing Dance 1 said:

It is perhaps also an alternative to RAD (separate thread I know) which is a positive offering in my eyes. 

My thoughts are that Iain Mcay will  bring a new energy to RBS which it very much needs. His early training was at Dance School of Scotland I believe, which has a great deal of energy. enthusiasm and purpose. I'm certain he can bring a similar energy and passion into RBS.  I'm hopeful that he will be down to earth, approachable, on the floor and in the studio's and develop a close working relationship with students so they can benefit from his talent and experience, whilst feeling supported as they move through and up the school. 

Mr McKay is already a well known figure around the school, watching classes etc. I hope he will be allowed to bring as much of himself as is needed to instigate change. Change together with learning and listening and willingness to be challenged.

Pursuing excellence in all areas yes, reaching the quality needed to compete internationally, yes, continue being a renowned and celebrated school, of course, but with focus and respect on physical and mental wellbeing being an absolute priority.
I wish him all the very best in this challenging role.

• Like 10