Carlos Acosta interview in the Independent

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Trumpeting Violinist said:

Is Acosta starving BRB dancers? That would've been direct influence as I see it.

Absolutely not - but sadly, it’s not as simple as that.  

Artistic Directors - especially of companies with “feeder” schools - have a far greater influence over young dancers, dance students and even teachers than just those in their company.

They are often guest teachers, guest judges, have control of recruitment, sometimes have a hand in creating or updating the school syllabus, often teach the way they were taught (“it never did me any harm”), and their attitudes and standards naturally filter down.  

Let’s say that although an AD might take over an established company with  a wonderfully diverse group of dancers; those dancers are adults and are (hopefully) treated as such even by coaches and Repetiteurs, and will be in charge of their own diet.  So I wouldn’t expect company dancers to suddenly lose drastic amounts of weight.

Students coming up through schools though might well be encouraged/expected to be thinner/lighter/more flat chested than their predecessors, due perhaps to an AD’s preferred body type for new recruits, and that is where the problem lies - and what the BBC programmes investigated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2