18 hours ago, FLOSS said:

.There is a photograph of Markova and her partner in the original costumes for Les Rendezvous in the current programme. I don't see much connection between those designs and those provided by Mr Conran except that his designs are approximately the same shape as the original ones were. .

Floss, am I right in thinking these are the 4th set of designs for Rendezvous?  I first saw the ballet at a midnight matinee in the early '70s and the dancers wore white with blue or pink ribbons and their partners had blue scarves.  It made the whole thing much more informal, whereas the current costumes suggest the prelude to a grand event.  I like the women's costumes very much, indeed I find them quite beautiful, but their partners' costumes I found unattractive and over detailed in design.  These are niggles though as I'm overjoyed to see this ballet back on stage.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Silke Technically the full answer that @Dawnstar is looking for is "emboite saute in attitude devant" - I've added in "devant" (front) as you can do it with the attitude behind as well. 

I'd say even our teachers and masterclass coaches didn't always use the full description, hence that's probably why I skipped to watching them demonstrate with hands or feet or both  😉. And all previous coaches and choreographers I've seen or been taught by used "run forward on pointe" instead of "emboite en avant"!

• Thanks 1

Yasmine Naghdi is making an unexpected debut as Titania tomorrow night with Vadream. She is replacing Lauren Cuthbertson.  Not her scheduled partner, but I am sure it will work well.  Look forward to hearing about it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cast sheet is up for this afternoon: https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Ashton-Celebrated-Cast-Sheet-Les-Rendezvous-The-Dream-Rhapsody-15-06-24.pdf

Today is my birthday and the first time ever I see The Dream, which has been the on the top of my list of (pardon the pun) dream ballets to see! A perfect birthday present! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Cast sheet is up for this afternoon: https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Ashton-Celebrated-Cast-Sheet-Les-Rendezvous-The-Dream-Rhapsody-15-06-24.pdf

Today is my birthday and the first time ever I see The Dream, which has been the on the top of my list of (pardon the pun) dream ballets to see! A perfect birthday present! 

Happy Birthday and many happy returns, @lady emily! 🎂 🎁 🎊 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

Drat. I was hoping he’d be in the evening performance! 🙂

Go for the matinée as well, Balletfanp? 😉 I wonder if anyone has ever danced Puck in both matinee and evening performances....

15 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Go for the matinée as well, Balletfanp? 😉 I wonder if anyone has ever danced Puck in both matinee and evening performances....

Can’t - travelling up from Plymouth!

I doubt he will be doing it this evening as well but looking forward to seeing who I do get! 🙂

I'm hoping for Boswell this evening, as he danced the first performance of the Cuthbertson/Muntagirov cast. Though given how mixed up the Puck casting has been I'm quite prepared for it to be Ikarashi or Nakao instead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lady emily said:

Have just seen people leave the matinee after Les Rendezvous: presumably because they’ve seen Marianela now? Absolute madness… 

If that is the reason, madness indeed given what they’ll be missing by leaving early.

• Like 5

I confess that I'm considering leaving after The Dream this evening because I saw Magri & Acri on Rhapsody on Monday & I have rail replacement buses on both lines this weekend. (I am going to a matinee of a musical first so I'm not coming down to London just for two-thirds of a triple bill.)

• Like 1

Well, I don't know what the critic of The Dailly Telegraph was seeing, but Les Rendezvous looks utterly beautiful and the dancing is absolutely gorgeousss!!! 🤩 

Marianela Nunez is just grace and lyricism personified and there's  absolutely nothing wrong with the backends at all- it's meant to be Ashton and not White Swan pdd....or a limbo dance! Reece is fast in the petit allegro and soars in his jumps - I don't see him being "too long" (what is that even supposed to mean??) : he's fast enough, keeps up with the music, precise in the entrechats- just a dream partnership with Nunez.

That pas de trois with Harrison Lee, Isabella Gasparini and Leo Dixon!!!!- more breathtaking than watching 32 fouettes or Le Corsaire variations. How they managed the speed of it, the lines still so beautifully symmetrical despite the speed and different heights, their musicality and expression....wow... 💐  💐 💐 bouquets for the three of them! (Actually, no bouquets this afternoon for Les Rendezvous- had I known I would have sent 5 along, one for each of them.)

The costumes and sets look wonderful too (looks nicer on stage with lighting and movement than what press and social  media  can convey). The little sparkly crystals in the skirts are genius. Jasper Conran really understands how to design for ballet. Well done to Vanessa Palmer and colleagues for a fabulous staging. So magical..... (excuse me while I drift off on cloud nine for the interval).... ☁️ 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I confess that I'm considering leaving after The Dream this evening because I saw Magri & Acri on Rhapsody on Monday & I have rail replacement buses on both lines this weekend. 

Tonight is my first time attending this - could I clarify with those who have been before, is the performance running time roughly 3 hours or is it a bit less?

2 hours ago, lady emily said:

Have just seen people leave the matinee after Les Rendezvous: presumably because they’ve seen Marianela now? Absolute madness… 

Possibly heading across to the RAH for Swan Lake. (I considered it!)

39 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Tonight is my first time attending this - could I clarify with those who have been before, is the performance running time roughly 3 hours or is it a bit less?

I just left the auditorium exactly at 4pm after a 1pm start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dream cast giving it their all in The Dream this afternoon! (Sorry about the pun). Quite different interpretations to Fri 7 June cast that I saw (apart from those reprising their roles), but utterly top quality. Sambe nails those fast turns into arabesque balances, Hayward doesn't merely do steps- every jump, every arabesque, every pirouette etc IS Titania. They both show the capriciousness, darkness and spikiness of the fairy couple as well as their love- which is how it should be. The reconciliation pas de deux shows both the romance as well as their struggles for control. A masterful performance!

Caspar is both adorable and mischievous as Puck and quite astonishing to see how comfortable he is in the role, despite the ballet not having been staged for the last 6 years while he's been at RBS! He doesn't look like a newbie in the role- he is so at ease being Puck! Fantastic debut  season in the role in only his first year with the company. Joshua Junker is great fun as Bottom- funny, comedic and he puts his own spin on it as well. The fairy quartet and fairy corps were brilliant too, as were the human lovers Pajdak (Hermia), Cowley (Helena), Dixon (Demetrius) and Edmonds (Lysander). (Dixon goes on to dance Rhapsody as well after that difficult pas de trois Les Rendezvous-impressive stamina!)

All in all a great cast and ensemble. Magnificent!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Dream cast giving it their all in The Dream this afternoon! (Sorry about the pun).

I quite agree @Emeralds! I was so excited when I saw the wonderful cast list this morning and thought the performance was fabulous. Caspar Lench IS Puck and I’m really looking forward to seeing his career develop.

I’d caught Les Rendezvous and Rhapsody at the general rehearsal but it was lovely to see both ballets again today. A joyful afternoon spent at the ROH this afternoon escaping the dismal summer.

• Like 4

Part 3 of onsite Les Rendezvous/The Dream/Rhapsody review:

Rhapsody was lyrical, romantic, and as unconventional as last week's The Dream had been! The ensemble was impeccable, musical and elegant- Harris Bell with wonderfully soft landings.

Anna Rose O'Sullivan was musical and expressive, glorious lines, and creamy soft legato phrases, light and fast in the allegro (once again, not sure why there was a 2 star rating in The Telegraph- typo?!) - one of the loveliest interpreters of this role.

Taisuke Nakao nails all the technical challenges but in contrast to the role's original performer who was said to be a suboptimal partner more interested in his  pyrotechnics than the partnering, Nakao is an attentive, gentle and self effacing  partner for O'Sullivan- he really embodies the romance of the concerto, especially the lush second movement. In his next season dancing this, he could afford to show himself off more. But as a romantic Rhapsody for a couple (with no stumbles,  errors or splats), it was a beautiful conclusion to a most glorious triple bill. I have no complaints at all. Ashton's genius choreography is a winner once again.  👏 

• Like 11

PS readers going tonight- you will have a real treat with Liam Boswell as Puck. Impossible to compare Boswell and Lench (don't make me!!) but having seen both, you will have a wonderful showcase tonight. Looking forward to hearing how Yasmine Naghdi and Vadim Muntagirov get on with their last minute pairing too- toi toi toi to them! And wishing Lauren Cuthbertson a speedy recovery. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I got out at 2h 58 min but maybe my section moves faster!  😉 

A dream birthday performance for me today! I can't imagine a better way I could have spent it. 

Les Rendezvous was a revelation. An absolutely breathtaking ballet, pure perfection. I found myself in tears for most of it. It felt like a more exuberant, less moody younger sibling of Dances at a Gathering. Why has this ballet not graced the stage for so long? I really hope that it becomes a staple since they've put effort into the new production. I'm also baffled as to why they didn't film this triple bill. It seems perfect for advertisements/social media, with pretty costumes and upbeat music. 

Marianela was a dream in it as she is in everything, I loved how purposefully she interacted with everyone else on stage. She really dances with the others on stage. 

Marianela was incredible, but Isabella Gasparini stole the show for me. I have really fallen in love with her dancing this season and this was the cherry on top. In many ways she reminds me of Nunez. They both have such a joy for the dancing that radiates through. 

Reece Clarke didn't quite hit the mark for me. There was nothing wrong, exactly, but he just seemed mismatched to the choreography. He almost danced like he didn't think he was right for the role. I really enjoy his budding partnership with Nunez. 

The Dream is what I really came for and it did not disappoint. Sambe and Hayward were perfection, slithering and ethereal. Not a step out of place. Hayward especially has the necessary look for Titania down so well. Haughty, feminine, and sensual. She really was captivating. Also I did really like the loss of the wigs for this. 

What strikes me so much about this ballet, especially seeing it live, is how well Ashton has understood the core of the play and boils it down to themes of sex and control. I think Hayward and Sambe really understood this. Their (amazing) PDD was not one primarily of love but (imo) of dominance and submission. 

Caspar was incredible as others have noted. Perfect for the role. Soared and bounced around the stage with boundless energy. I think having the young dancers play this role is a smart idea. 

Have to admit Rhapsody didn't hit quite the same highs for me as the other two ballets. Maybe this is because these aren't dancers I typically seek to watch and because I still had the memories of Hayward and Sambe's firecracker performances in the ballet a few years ago in my mind. Nakao is a really wonderful dancer, and he has a bright future. I'm just not sure he quite had the command of the stage necessary for this role. I don't even think it was in his big jumps and barrel rolls that were lacking. Those were great. But with the simpler steps, there just wasn't the assertive 'I am the main dancer here' energy I wanted to see. I even found myself missing entrances and such as a result. O'Sullivan was good but I would have appreciate a bit more crispness to the dancing. 

Also should mention that while I saw some people leave after Rendezvous (particularly some families), there were quite a few empty seats around me for Rhapsody. Maybe a sign that this ballet should have had a longer period off-stage? Perhaps the Dream should have been slotted last, though I understand why it wouldn't work as well thematically. 

I am tempted to exchange my tickets for the other triple bill for the last performance of this for another brilliant showing of Les Rendezvous! Very intrigued to see the short pieces, though... 

• Like 11