3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Lovely to see Dowell and Sibley on stage….my all time two favourite Oberon and Titania!! 
Also looked like Viola and Harrison Lee  in the pics …anyone know what roles they were performing? 

They were in Les Rendezvous. 

• Like 3

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Thanks Sim!
A bit of a coincidence today I was at ROH this afternoon to meet up with the brother of a young lady (both currently over from Oz) who danced with Harrison Lee in a Sydney Eisteddfod when they were both about 12 years old!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Silke H said:

May I ask how a wig would have made a difference regarding the entanglement?  That she could have ripped off the wig and continue dancing with wig-flattened hair and Will with a wig attached to his crown?

I saw it simply a funny little episode in live theatre.  I don't think anyone in the audience minded the stopping and rugby huddle to disentangle Titania and Oberon.

In that it wouldn’t have been her actual hair entangled so would have been less painful? I don’t think anyone was suggesting they carry on with the wig flapping around! And no, I don’t think anyone minded at all - the audience responded with humour (as did the dancers) and perhaps a little concern for poor Osipova’s hair! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you for the photos @Rob S. I am very pleased to see the costumes for Les Rendezvous. When I read recently that they were going to be designed by Jasper Conran I was afraid they would be awfully modern & minimalist so it's a relief to see that they're not.

Beautiful costumes, subtle colours and very swishy dresses. It looked lovely- such interesting, fluid, funny characterful and deeply satisfying choreography- most beautifully danced -and I do hope it comes back soon. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Gutted that I got held up at work in the Midlands and did not get back in time to London to use my ticket.  I did consider swanning in the last piece but was too tired.  The photos look gorgeous and at least I will see some other casts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, annamk said:

It’s an absolutely stellar triple bill - I was so happy watching 

Tears of joy throughout. Again and again. So very grateful to be watching a genius at work instead of yet more second (or worse) rate new choreography. Thank you Sir Fred and let's hope he works his magic on the decision-makers planning the future. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Beautiful costumes, subtle colours and very swishy dresses. It looked lovely- such interesting, fluid, funny characterful and deeply satisfying choreography- most beautifully danced -and I do hope it comes back soon. 

... and from the photographs it looks as if there were railings - and a gate?!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So sorry you missed that Missfrankiecat 😥 so disappointing for you  I hope you defo get to see all your other performances. 

I have to say this programme looks like  a dancing and costume feast! Can’t wait for my first outing  on Monday! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

What a wonderful opening night.  Beautiful costumes, sets and dancing from start to finish.  It just made me glow all over and have a real sense of joy.  An added bonus was welcoming Romany Pajdak and Anna-Rose O'Sullivan back to the stage.  Anna-Rose danced beautifully with Taisuke Nakao (who made a very impressive debut) in Rhapsody.  

The cherry on the cake of a glorious evening was having Sir Anthony Dowell and Dame Antoinette Sibley appear onstage at the end of The Dream.  It brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.  We have talked elsewhere about standing ovations and how easily they are bestowed these days.  Although there was enthusiastic applause for these two ballet legends, I was rather disappointed that they didn't get a standing ovation.  I would have started one, except that I was already standing!  Anyway, I am glad that they got such rapturous applause.  They deserve it.  

Personally I think it is a crime against British ballet that so many Ashton pieces have been allowed to languish in the vaults for so long, and that we have to bring over an American company to see some of his lesser-known work.  As I have said before, I hope that the Ashton Worldwide celebrations will herald, at his home company, a new approach to their founding choreographer and imho one of the best that the world of ballet has ever known.  That approach is simple:  perform his work!!  And not just one token performance a year.  Last night's wonderful triple bill gave a taster of what is eminently possible....and I hope that 'possible' becomes 'done'.    

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

Really looking forward to this.  I hope the opera house was packed, and the audience roared their approval?

Edited to add it always strikes me when I see photos of the stars of yesteryear, how small they seem standing next to the current crop of dancers.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

Just now, Fonty said:

Really looking forward to this.  I hope the opera house was packed, and the audience roared their approval?

Yes and yes.  Well, I was in SCS so I couldn't see above, but the ground floor looked pretty well sold out....just a couple of empty seats here and there, but probably just no-shows.  

• Like 1

I can only echo all the positive comments above.

Les Rendevous was a real delight. Wonderful costumes and sets (reminded me of Onegin and a bit Giselle with the flower headbands/accessories) and Nunez absolutely sparkled with the lovely Ashton turning back and arm movement emphasised by the beautiful flowing skirt. Jasper Conran should be well commended for this redesign it’s gorgeous - the grey skirts having the odd sparkle, it was so chic and elegant. The choreography was wonderful and like others I echo this must be revived soon (particularly if they’ve invested in these new costumes that’s as hopeful sign?). Gaspirani was also lovely and whilst I’m not a technical expert I felt the Ashton style was danced well by everyone (although I admit was a little underwhelmed by Clarke who usually wows me and I was again sad I can’t make it to see Muntagirov and Kaneko). Nunez and Gaspirani’s styles really lit up the stage it was so effortless and perfectly timed. 

I also really enjoyed the Dream, Hayward really is a lovely dancer in this style and was the perfect character, Sambe also playing haughty very well. Ikarashi was a fantastic sprightly Puck. Pajdak and Cowley really stole their scenes and the acting was spot on by Edmonds and Dixon too, the audience were really engaged and loving the drama with plenty of laughs and they really projected their characters to the amphi. I was also so impressed with Junker as bottom - a male en pointe and I found the donkey head actually quite cute and so it was almost less of a shock that Titania fell for him! The music was dreamy and you can really see why Ashton is such a great choreographer - the movement and music just aligned perfectly and created a wonderful story and atmosphere. Sets and costumes were also beautiful. 

I enjoyed Rhapsody but I have to admit it was the weakest of the three for me last night. I loved it in the 2022 run and was so excited to see it again but after the highs of LR and the Dream it just felt a bit too soon and over the top(?). O’Sullivan danced beautifully but I was a bit underwhelmed by Nakao who I felt was a bit underpowered and lacking in panache compared to Sambe, Corrales and McRae who I saw in 2022. The role needs an element of bravura and sheer power and perhaps if I hadn’t seen it in 2022 I’d have felt differently but he didn’t really do it for me. Is there a reason why Muntagirov hasn’t done this role before - is it a height thing? I don’t know if he has done it previously but I also thought Campbell would have been a good fit, brining that cheeky attitude. Maybe it was too soon to bring Rhapsody back, I’d rather have seen Symphonic Variations (that I haven’t seen yet!) 

Overall probably the highlight of my 2023/2024 ROH ballet season. What a lovely bill and I’m looking forward to more casts for the Dream, and for Rendevous to be revived (maybe with a main stage Sinfonettia?) in the not too distant future. A beautiful evening all round. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Ticket sales for the Les Rendezvous triple bill has picked up well, but somewhat at the expense of the Short Works mixed bill, which is currently struggling a bit, with  over 500 unsold seats and over 90 standing places as of last night for the Tuesday performance. 

Edited by Emeralds

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sim said:

Personally I think it is a crime against British ballet that so many Ashton pieces have been allowed to languish in the vaults for so long, and that we have to bring over an American company to see some of his lesser-known work.  As I have said before, I hope that the Ashton Worldwide celebrations will herald, at his home company, a new approach to their founding choreographer and imho one of the best that the world of ballet has ever known.  That approach is simple:  perform his work!!  And not just one token performance a year.  Last night's wonderful triple bill gave a taster of what is eminently possible....and I hope that 'possible' becomes 'done'.    

Absolutely agree with this, but also, better programme what is on so that we don’t have to squeeze it all into 2 weeks and make difficult choices!

Looking forward to all of the reviews - there were plenty of critics in the audience last night - Amanda Jennings, Debra Craine, Sarah Crompton, Matthew Paluch, Gerald Dowler - so hopefully a busy weekend link gathering for @Sophoife

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Absolutely agree with this, but also, better programme what is on so that we don’t have to squeeze it all into 2 weeks and make difficult choices!

Actually it has worked out really well for me and I expect some other out-of-towners. I've just parked myself in London for four days and will be back next Saturday for the ENB Swan Lake and an Ashton top-up. It means I've had to take a couple of days off work but it's well worth it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LinMM said:

Lovely to see Dowell and Sibley on stage….my all time two favourite Oberon and Titania!! 

Wonderful pair ! I'm surprsied to see that Antoinette Sibley is so petite.....shorter even than Francesca! And I thought  Anthony Dowell was taller but he is only about Marci Sambe's height.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Wonderful pair ! I'm surprsied to see that Antoinette Sibley is so petite.....shorter even than Francesca! And I thought  Anthony Dowell was taller but he is only about Marci Sambe's height.

But, like most people in their 80s, they used to be taller!

• Like 14

Another one delighted to see - albeit unexpectedly - Caspar Lench getting Puck.  I thought they already had ample choices for the role.  Unless, of course, he's a cover.

• Like 1

Don’t say that Alison!  I’ve just had a complete moment of madness and booked another of this triple with Naghdi and Richardson as Oberon and Titania and hopefully Caspar as Puck!!!   but there was a back row D Balcony on sale for the exact amount I had on account credit so couldn’t resist so now will see three casts for the Dream! And will get to see Francesca in Rhapsody as well as The Dream and Fumi and Vadim twice in Les Rendezvous which I won’t mind at all. 

• Like 3

My reservation about Caspar dancing Puck on the 19th is that todays rehearsal with Naghdi and Richardson is combined with the Brahms programme ….not the Rendezvous one and that might make a difference am just hoping not!! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, LinMM said:

My reservation about Caspar dancing Puck on the 19th is that todays rehearsal with Naghdi and Richardson is combined with the Brahms programme ….not the Rendezvous one and that might make a difference am just hoping not!! 

I get that problem a lot, LinMM- trying to predict from dress rehearsal casts and earlier casts who will end up where! Sometimes dress rehearsal casts seem to be a mix and match cast eg new leads or new partnership of leads with new soloists from another cast, and sometimes they're the entire cast en bloc. On the plus side,  with The Dream being in every single RB mixed bill, hopefully your chances will be very good that Caspar ends up as  Puck in one of your casts (or even two!) 🍀 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Just had an email to say Joonhyuk Jun is replacing Marcelino Sambé in Rhapsody on 19th and 22nd, which has also been changed on the website. Hoping Sambé is alright. 

Having just heard Akane Takada is not now performing Swan Lake I wonder if her current injury prevented her being cast in The Dream I would have loved to see her in that role 😥

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

Just had an email to say Joonhyuk Jun is replacing Marcelino Sambé in Rhapsody on 19th and 22nd, which has also been changed on the website. Hoping Sambé is alright. 

Sambé is fine.  He announced last week that he wouldn't be doing his Rhapsody shows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2