26 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Yes, it was. Sublime. More than sublime if that's possible. 

There are times when I get home after a performance and I have the most wonderful, emotional feeling - it just makes me sigh. Today was one of those times. I didn't think it was possible to enjoy another performance more than last Tuesday's The Dream performance (as far as Oberon and Titania are concerned). I was wrong. That PDD was just, I don't even have the words. I clapped my hands raw. As I was right near the front of the stage, I saw every facial expression and I was so moved by the performance. It was very special.

For me the Dream is the perfect ballet and it's been my stand out highlight in every iteration of this Bill I have been fortunate enough to attend. I thought Yasmin and Calvin hit the heights last night, but today we privileged to see a totally magical performance from Will and Natalia culminating in that amazing pdd. The audience recognised this and I hope the dancers knew how much they were appreciated. 

I have honestly enjoyed each pairing in The Dream. Even if the interpretations or chemistry weren't my ideals, I still loved it all. I wonder who I would pick as my ideal cast? Now, there's an interesting topic. If you'd have asked me before Tuesday, I'd have said, Bracewell, Hayward. As I've said before, Osipova is a legend, for sure, and I've seen her dance beautifully on many occasions, but in more recent years I haven't been so enamoured and find her to be someone I greatly admire but don't always gel with. Tuesday and today really surprised me and at this moment, I think I'd choose Osipova to dance with Bracewell in The Dream. That's not to say I wouldn't like him to dance with Hayward and Naghdi, as I would. I am just so surprised by the impact today's performance has had on me. It was magical.

Everything about the Dream has been magical. The gorgeous and beautiful fairies, the virtuoso Pucks, the 2 pairs of lovers with their humour, the pathos and humour of Bottom and of course, the music and the choir. Goosebumps all round. 

I agree.

Rhapsody has been enjoyable but hasn't actually "done it" for me in any performance I've seen.  The shorter pieces are always a challenge because it's difficult to make emotional contact in such a short space of time. My favourite was Will and Francesca's interpretation of Hamlet and Ophelia because they became their characters; ie. there was acting as well as dancing which I didn't see at all with the other couple.  Today's rendition seemed almost expressionless. 

I agree. I think Lamb is such a delicate and graceful dancer who is so youthful. But when I compare to Hayward, the choreography wasn't executed quite as I felt it should be - that probably is an interpretation thing, but it didn't quite work for me. I honestly felt no emotional connection between her and Corrales.

Les Rendezvous is a delight from start to finish and I did prefer this version of the Ashton Bill to the 3 short works option.  

This was amazing and I loved it. This can be scheduled again, please, and soon!

My poor stay at home husband is probably hoping for more WMG than Ashton as then he would see me more often.  We are also wondering why there was no cinema relay as he would have loved the Dream in that format.  

My husband just plays golf and doesn't miss me, though he has to pick me up from the station when it's later at night, so I suppose he notices I'm not there then! I am so disappointed there was no cinema relay. I understand how tricky it would be to choose a cast, but it would be so lovely to have something on film.

11 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I nearly returned my ticket today due to a clash this evening but decided to just catch a final Dream and how glad am I.  It was a transcendent performance from Osipova and Bracewell - a recklessly romantic, almost lyrical, Titania from Osipova and an imperious yet sensitive Oberon.  They had a sizzling chemistry I was not expecting at all.  

I wasn't expecting it either. Sometimes life is strange!

• Like 5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than change the choreography of the Dream, I’d rather they adapted or got rid of Oberon’s crown. 

It’s just unnecessary stress for the dancers (and the audience!) wondering if the hair will get caught, and a blighted performance if it does. Others may disagree but that’s my opinion! There was a sharp intake of breath in the audience around me when it almost got caught in the matinee but lucky it was resolved quickly! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, annamk said:

Personally I found Naghdi the least convincing of the Titanias I saw. She has a great classical technique but compared with Hayward and particularly with Osipova I feel she doesn’t let go. And for me that’s a problem in a role that’s not Aurora or Odette/Odile. I found an exception when she danced Like Water for Chocolate with Corrales. 

I think we all look for different things? I thought she was gorgeous, though I'm the first to admit the connection between her and Richardson wasn't an overly passionate one. I loved her in Manon and TWT and saw some really emotive dancing in those - she really impressed me. I didn't see LWFC with Naghdi/Corrales, I'm sad to say.

1 hour ago, DoctorDerry said:

Just a brief post having just seen my last of the triple bills , largely to say how much I have enjoyed this Ashton extravaganza and so hope there will be more in the future   I doubt Mr O ‘Hare shares our musings but one can hope someone at ROH does.

I agree with the general opinion that the three short works were the less satisfactory programme IMO if Hamlet and Ophelia never return to the main stage I would be content .What a waste of Bracewell and Hayward ,even their superior acting skills could not rescue a piece that even Ashton regarded as minor, and Corales and Lamb were underwhelming .

we really like Rhapsody but would have appreciated more stellar dancers, only wish we could have seen Joon with Hayward

Rendezvous is delightful.

The Dream is just gorgeous,so much to enjoy,the humour ,the costumes, the wonderful pas de deux. Prior to today I was going to say my favourite Oberon was Bracewell and my favourite Titania was Hayward and only wished they had danced together. However in the matinee I found Osipova, not one of my favourite dancers usually ,amazing and very moving and completely wonderful with Bracewell.So a surprise but a very good one

Extra kudos to Kate Shipway in the Isadora,what a treasure These performances will have to last me a long time as the autumn programme is not for me

I am in the minority here and would watch Bracewell/Hayward in Opelia and Hamlet again - I really liked it with those two dancing. There was so much to love about Rhapsody, and I agree with all the points made about it here recently, but I still really enjoyed them all. That's the thing for me, even though some things didn't quite work, I'd still watch them again, except for Hamlet and Ophelia - that would have to have a specific cast for me.

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I have actually enjoyed all the Titania this run. All very different. Naghdi the most obviously feisty; Osipova less feral than I expected, delightfully romantic; Hayward fey and magical - a faerie, unquestionably. I would have liked to have seen Cuthbertson’s Titania but sadly that wasn’t to be. 

Yes. I agree. One bit that stands out for me, is Naghdi being so cross and feisty with (in the little child segment) Oberon. The way the walked with her leg pointed out so sharply was delightful. I honestly expected Osipova to be the feisty one and yet she was so soft, delicate and sweet at times.  

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

One thing I had completely failed to realise about this week's packed ballet scheduling, and indeed did not realise until the lady I was sat next to last night mentioned it when we had a brief conversation in the first interval, was that last night's performance of The Dream took place on the evening of Midsummer! I suspect accidental rather than deliberate scheduling on the part of the RB but still a nice coincidence. I tried checking the ROH database to see if it had happened before but unfortunately it is incomplete, with only 143 of the should be 233 performances listed, so it's impossible to tell.

Was It last night? Today is Midsummer's Day? I had presumed it was all solstice related, that was Thursday, I think, but googling online I get so many answers (some are saying it's 24th June, which surely isn't right)  that I have no idea! Very apt to be performing The Dream now either way. 

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone else always get Lysander & Demetrius mixed up? I mean the names rather than who's who on stage. I always think it should be Lysander who ends up with Helena and Demetrius with Hermia but it's the other way around. I've had this problem with A Midsummer Night's Dream for years, not just with the ballet version. (I have a similar problem with camels.)

I get them all mixed up and I've read the play and seen it performed! I don't get the roles confused in the ballet, in terms of who is in love, or not, with whom,  but I can never remember who is called what! 

46 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

In her performance on Tuesday she had the dark hair which I prefer - I’m sure she pulled the blonde off though!

I have to say, I preferred the blonde wig! Nobody's more surprised than me! 

18 minutes ago, Mary said:

I do so agree. All the casts were good. The ballet is perfect. Many people have commented on the combination of choreography, music, sets and costumes all working together in an ideal fusion that is absolutely beautiful. A work of genius and the dancers are given so much chance to shine and show off different individual talents in this piece. Please let us have it again soon..............

Agreed!

• Like 4

I would never blame the choreography in such a malfunction!! 
The choreography in that final pas de deux in the Dream ( as so many of Ashtons concluding pas de deux) is just exquisite and doesn’t need changing one bit. 
What does need sorting out are the costumes! Did this happen with any other couple …I think there was a rehearsal mal function but can’t remember if it was the same two dancers. 
I just don’t feel this can be that difficult to rectify. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JNC said:

Has there ever been an occasion when RB has changed a programme after announcing it? I don’t imagine a full length work would be scrapped/changed but one work in a mixed bill is more probable? 

Yes, a few times when new choreography wasn't ready, I think.  Plus, back in the day, when the Balanchine Trust took a dislike to Irek Mukhamedov being cast as Apollo.  The ballet was replaced by The Judas Tree, which was a logical option since both Apollos, Mukhamedov and Jonathan Cope, could dance the lead in it too.  I think it was on a triple bill with Amores and something else ...? 

• Thanks 2

The 24th June is officially Midsummers day! 
Basically there is hardly any movement in light terms between 18th and 24th June hence the solstice….sun stands still well sort of….
The summer longest day is officially June 21st into June 22nd but the lessening of light ( into winter 😥) starts around 24th June when it moves about one minute and then increasingly more minutes each day till we’re racing into winter by middle of September!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I would never blame the choreography in such a malfunction!! 
The choreography in that final pas de deux in the Dream ( as so many of Ashtons concluding pas de deux) is just exquisite and doesn’t need changing one bit. 
What does need sorting out are the costumes! Did this happen with any other couple …I think there was a rehearsal mal function but can’t remember if it was the same two dancers. 
I just don’t feel this can be that difficult to rectify. 

Not exactly a problem but something sparkly came off Richardson's crown after one of the lifts in the pdd yesterday evening.

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

The 24th June is officially Midsummers day! 
Basically there is hardly any movement in light terms between 18th and 24th June hence the solstice….sun stands still well sort of….
The summer longest day is officially June 21st into June 22nd but the lessening of light ( into winter 😥) starts around 24th June when it moves about one minute and then increasingly more minutes each day till we’re racing into winter by middle of September!!! 

Oh God, I'm wrong again. I always thought 21st June was Midsummer, and the lady I was talking to last night evidently thought so too. If the moderators would like to remove my incorrect post then please do so.

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh God, I'm wrong again. I always thought 21st June was Midsummer, and the lady I was talking to last night evidently thought so too. If the moderators would like to remove my incorrect post then please do so.

According to the Royal Observatory the summer solstice was Thursday 20 June at 21.51 BST (20.51 GMT) ... the exact moment that the Northern Hemisphere is most tilted towards the Sun,

Summer solstice | Royal Observatory (rmg.co.uk)

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 3

I wouldn’t worry Dawnstar as June 21st is the longest day and officially the start of summer( oh so true this year!!) 

Many of the old festivals in Britain are directly connected to the light changes hence I think why “Midsummer day” is on 24th which is crazy if summer only officially starts on June 21st!!! but I think the 24th is some mid way point between when summer starts re the light in May and one of the August Festivals whose name escapes me!! 
Our officially Spring Summer Autumn and Winter dates don’t quite tally with what’s going on with the light which older festivals did more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

To add to the confusion, the quarter days (which use the term Midsummer Day) conflict with the solstices. The quarter days are March 25 (Lady Day), June 24 (Midsummer Day), September 29 (Michaelmas Day), and December 25 (Christmas Day). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s also about Calendars and the old Julian Calendar! Apparently midsummer day used to be July 5th which sort of makes more sense for our English climate lol!! 
I’m trying to remember the August festival I think it’s called something like Lammas around 6th August? 
I suppose June 24th is about half way so the mid point between that and the May Festival which celebrated the start of summer ….though in U.K. it’s not very summery at the beginning of May!!
In terms of Light though the most Light is between about May 6th to August 6th so our summer months. 

Edited by LinMM

Yes I get Christmas Day as in the winter there is hardly any movement of light between about 18th December and 25th when it starts to go up by about one minute etc etc so celebrating 25th makes sense (for whatever reason!) 

None of this astronomical stuff is very exact as the timing of the Earth round the sun is not exact!! And the light is always moving in reality but sometimes so little it’s just hardly perceptible as at the solstices. 

Anyway better get back to ballet before get told off!! 

Edited by LinMM

6 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

would say so, yes. The applause and cheers went on for so long after the reconciliation PDD (whatever it’s called - the one at the end 🤣) that Odipova and Bracewell posed to continue and then had to keep stopping to take more bows. The audience today seemed to be absolutely thrilled and enthusiastic.

The conductor kept getting ready to restart, but then the clapping would continue and he’d have to put his baton down again. Members of the orchestra were grinning at him and having a chuckle, so

I’m assuming he pulled a face or two, eager to get on with proceedings. It was quite amusing!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I get Christmas Day as in the winter there is hardly any movement of light between about 18th December and 25th when it starts to go up by about one minute etc etc so celebrating 25th makes sense (for whatever reason!) 

None of this astronomical stuff is very exact as the timing of the Earth round the sun is not exact!! And the light is always moving in reality but sometimes so little it’s just hardly perceptible as at the solstices. 

Anyway better get back to ballet before get told off!! 

it was probably the date when they were sure the sun had 'turned the corner' back in ancient times

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Just to bring a legal bent onto this discussion, Midsummer Day, as a quarter day, did not change when we moved from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian - it’s 24 June in both systems.

Not sure of the wisdom of using the words “bent” and “legal” in the same sentence. 

• Like 3

I really enjoyed this evening's performance! (Like many others, this will be my last visit to the Opera House for quite some time as I'm not very tempted by the offerings for the early part of the year!). 

I loved The Dream, and I thought Yasmine Naghdi was perfect for it. And shout out to the choir - beautiful!

Found the second act a little challenging - really enjoyed the total change of style for Five Brahms Waltzes, actually thoroughly enjoyed Paradise Garden, beautifully danced (though I do intend researching the story when I get home!) but in common with others I found Hamlet and Ophelia more of a challenge. Anyone else find the music put them in mind of Mayerling - expected Cesar to be contorted in MacMillan choreography at points (hardly surprising I suppose as I now know they're both Liszt....).

Rhapsody. Funny how what you're least looking forward to can sometimes blow you away. Francesca Hayward is so exquisite, so musical and so fast.... and Joon was fantastic, including making a great effort at the wit of the piece. Just loved it. 

Thanks to all of the forum members for being such sources of ballet knowledge for another year (as you can tell, I'm not qualified to discuss technique yet - but I'm learning!). 

• Like 14

Another gorgeous evening of Ashton. I’m so happy I decided to try out this triple bill as well. 

The Dream was lovely again, but I couldn’t help but feel it played second fiddle to the first cast (Hayward/Sambe/Lench/Junker) I saw. Yasmine was beautiful; I cannot fault her dancing. But she lack an ethereal quality for me and felt more one note. I agree with the poster who said she doesn’t let go. Her “seduction” scene with Bottom garnered fewer laughs than Hayward’s 

I really enjoyed Boswell as Puck. While I really enjoyed seeing Lench, Boswell’s dancing seemed just a bit more grounded and controlled. 

Zucchetti was a good Bottom, but I was a bit afraid for his pointe work! It felt on the verge of falling apart the whole time. I really liked Junker in this role, and overall he has been a real joy to see this season. 

One niggle for me sitting off to the side tonight was that there was zero attempt to hide the transformation into the donkey. In fact it was easier to see that then the dancing. 

There are two small things from the play that bother me about the ballet (and yes, I know that they are different works of art!): 1) a major plot point of the play is that Helena is much taller than Hermia. Yet they are always two tall dancers in the ballet! But the one that bothers me more is that the choir sings as Titania enters her bed that “One aloof stands sentinel”. And then immediately all fairies leave! Could have easily taken the sung words out here! 

The three short works were better than I expected, although my expectations were very low after reading reviews here. I really liked Osipova as Isadora Duncan. It is exactly the type of role she excels in and a nice break from the ballet. I liked the Paradise Garden piece. I thought the choreo was interesting and the dancing very well done, and although the ending was strange I was more distracted by the very well done cloak work. Hamlet and Ophelia, well, even the programme admitted it wasn’t a particularly good work! But I really liked to see Corrales, he was solid as a rock with all of his dancing. And Lamb did the best she could with what she was given. 

Rhapsody was the standout for me tonight. After thoroughly not hitting the mark for me last weekend, I thought I would be doomed to enjoy nobody but Sambe in the role. But Hayward and Jun blew it out of the water. Jun was incredible and I think definitely had the elusive insouciance everyone has mentioned. I was so pleased on his strong debut as I have greatly enjoyed his dancing the last few seasons. He commanded the stage. Hayward shone in the role as she did in the last run, and I thought they looked a beautiful pair. Despite my preference for the (sadly gone) Hayward/Campbell partnership, I really think she dances well with anyone. I think she is now my favourite Ashton female dancer at the company. 

I really think the coda section of Rhapsody is some of the best choreography out there. I think it’s really rare when dancing can match the spectacular nature of a real heavyweight work of classical music. It’s often tried, particularly with non-ballet Tchaikovsky music, and I think it so rarely hits the mark. But Ashton truly did it justice. I found myself doing the little arms back and forth movements all the way home! 

I will very much miss Ashton at the Royal for now! I will probably not go to Cinderella. While I think the choreography is beautiful, I think the balance is a bit off in the ballet (too much of the stepsisters!) and I did JUST see it three times last year! Cannot wait for La Fille with BRB in the autumn. 

A few years ago I visited Ashton’s grave and left flowers. I feel very tempted to return and do so again after seeing such fabulous works over the last week. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Can confirm is Yaxley. Just off the A140. There’s a hedgehog on the gravestone. Then pop over to Eye and look at the crinkle crankle wall at Chandos Lodge… and give thanks for the man who once lived there! 

• Like 8

That reminds me of a charming little video Gary Avis - who lives in Suffolk too I believe -  posted during/just after lockdown of himself doing the Fred step in homage outside Ashton's house.

• Like 7

@JNC you mentioned Matthew Ball’s absence in the Ashton triple bills. 

He has been engaged in two projects elsewhere … firstly as Siegfried in a new production of Swan Lake for Hong Kong Ballet created by Yuri Possokhov.  (Is this the first full length ballet where Matthew has been part of the creation as the lead role?)  He danced the premiere on 31 May. 

Secondly he had his first commission as a choreographer from New English Ballet Theatre.  A group work called Acts of Exaltation to music by Monteverdi that was on in the Linbury Next Generation Festival.  15/16 June I think.  

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @FionaM 

I assume it was his choice to do those projects and O’Hare obliged (which is great that dancers can go off and do such things that help their professional/personal development). 

Just noticed he’s the only principal not cast in any Ashton (excepting those not dancing at all due to injuries). 

• Like 1

It seems a bit strange, though, that other commitments no matter how worthwhile should take priority over potential RB performances for any of the principals; the Ashton Celebration has been planned for a long time after all and Matthew Ball would surely normally have been cast in some of the works. I know that there are (sadly) often long gaps for principals between performances but this would/should clearly have been a busy period for all of them (unless injured). But I suppose that in order to retain principal dancers, and in light of the regular dearth of performances for them, KOH does have to be as accommodating as possible.

• Like 3

Also just to add just because I'm sure Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri are performing in Ballet Nights (sorry I am not sure what the correct like title for it is) but they are performing (Re)Current which Matthew himself choreographed. They are preforming that June 28th and June 29th 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

Can confirm is Yaxley. Just off the A140. There’s a hedgehog on the gravestone. Then pop over to Eye and look at the crinkle crankle wall at Chandos Lodge… and give thanks for the man who once lived there! 

Footnote - mildly relevant - something I wrote (for ballet.co.uk I'd guess) in 2011:

"Frederick Ashton, the ballet and Suffolk" could well be a sub-category of the delights awaiting us in heaven; for the moment, though, it's the title of a series of exhibitions and events running through the summer in Ipswich, Suffolk's county town.

The main attraction is a collection of Ashton memorabilia, photographs and costumes in Ipswich Town Hall, shown off at a private view last week. Some of the material is quite familiar, and some is borrowed from the recent Royal Ballet exhibition at the Lowry - but there are also some new things which I don't think have been shown publicly before. Family possessions (mostly relating to Ashton's mother) are touching to see; the most fascinating for me, though, is the series of German prints of dancers showing patterns made with ribbons - the very ones he took into the studio when making the picnic pas de deux in La Fille  mal Gardee. There they all are: the Xs, the Vs, the bit where Lise and Colas each hold four of the ribbons... it would be wonderful if they could have shown a video of the pas de deux next to these black and white, rather severely geometrical drawings, to show how genius can transform the commonplace into gold. There are also some of Sophie Fedorovitch's early drafts of the backcloth for Symphonic Variations, which were of course inspired by the Suffolk landscape.

To make the viewing into more of an occasion, Monica Mason and Anthony Russell-Roberts gave short speeches, and Mason had brought some of her dancers to give us just a little glimpse of the real thing. Christina Arestis and Gary Avis danced the Tango from Facade, nicely modulated to allow for the very close proximity of the audience, and Philip Mosley did the Clog Dance from Fille with only half the usual number of supporters (Francesca Filpi and Laura McCulloch); Paul Stobart was the piano accompanist. It was a nice evening - the sort of event where you casually ask the people next to you what their connection with Ashton is, and it turns out they are the current owners of his cottage in Yaxley and have to field lots of queries from pilgrims to his nearby grave.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3