Has anyone found running times with splits for the two Ashton mixed bills yet, please?  I'm trying to work out whether it's possible to split easily between Sarasota in the Linbury and the performances in the main house.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the website:

APPROXIMATE RUNNING TIMES:

LES RENDEZVOUS

: 25 minutes

Interval

: 30 minutes

THE DREAM

: 55 minutes

Interval

RHAPSODY

: 35 minutes

and:

Frederick Ashton’s masterful Shakespearian character study The Dream and his exhilarating ballet Rhapsody come together alongside a selection of short works, including Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, Hamlet and Ophelia and The Walk to the Paradise Garden performed by Sarasota Ballet.

RUNNING TIME

This performance will last approximately 3 hours, including two intervals

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alison said:

Has anyone found running times with splits for the two Ashton mixed bills yet, please?  I'm trying to work out whether it's possible to split easily between Sarasota in the Linbury and the performances in the main house.

Depends on which you're starting with and which ones you're skipping, it can be done as long as you don't cut it too fine, Alison.

I assume you're considering seeing the rarer Les Rendezvous (RB) first on 6th then going to the remaining Sarasota Ballet (SB) mixed bill of Dante/Sinfonietta since SB is dancing Valses Nobles et Sentimentales at every show. You do have 15 min "extra" as SB only starts at 7.45pm - they are due to start Dante Sonata is 8.20pm (8.18pm at the earliest) so even if the RB mixed bill starts late at 7.35 or even 7.39pm, they should finish LR by 8.05pm, which still gives you at 12-15min to get into the Linbury) .

I don't know if you're planning to do it for the 7th also/instead but the most interesting parts for both are in the middle (the Diverts and the Short Works parts) for both so to catch both you start with SB's Valses Nobles et Sentimentales. RB starts at 7.30-7.38, The Dream is approx 55 mins, interval 30min, so Short Works start around 9pm.

SB is scheduled to start at 7.45pm, Valses NES is 15min, then a 20min interval, then Diverts finish after 30min at around 8.50pm, possibly 8.55pm if they start 5mins late, provided they aren't delayed by any long technical or other hitches.

So you can go to Short Works and Rhapsody after seeing Valses NES and Diverts but missing SB's Facade. This one is more risky and cutting it fine (only 5-9 mins to get to Main Stage)- could work if you can get a SCS standing place for RB so it's not as far to walk/run from Linbury to your place! (NB this would also miss out Muntagirov and Cuthbertson in The Dream though!) 

And if you go to the gala on the 8th you can catch Facade there.  

Seems a bit hectic/stressful juggling 2 shows to me, but if you're time starved and don't mind missing two or more ballets you've paid for, then yes, it could work. The 6th and 7th are the only dates where RB and SB are dancing on two different stages at the same time. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, San Perregrino said:

Per the website:

APPROXIMATE RUNNING TIMES:

LES RENDEZVOUS

: 25 minutes

Interval

THE DREAM

: 55 minutes

Interval

RHAPSODY

: 35 minutes

Obviously you were looking at a page I didn't manage to find, SP!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Amanda Liu said:

Joonhyuk Jun replaced Marcelino Sambe in Rhapsody

I just looked on the ROH website and he's been replaced for both of his Rhapsody performances. He's still scheduled for The Dream, so hopefully, he's ok. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

Obviously you were looking at a page I didn't manage to find, SP!  Thanks.

Or the dropdown arrow was so faint that I didn't notice it the first time :) 

A very lovely touch of Sarasota Ballet handing out programme books after tonight's show.  So many lovely pictures (past and present) and tons of information on the ballets' composers, designers and the pieces themselves.  82 pages and not a single ad in sight  💗

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Seems a bit hectic/stressful juggling 2 shows to me, but if you're time starved and don't mind missing two or more ballets you've paid for, then yes, it could work. The 6th and 7th are the only dates where RB and SB are dancing on two different stages at the same time. 

Yes, if I've done my calculations correctly I could drop Valses Nobles tomorrow and watch Les Rendezvous, then back to the Linbury for the rest of the programme, then back to the ROH for Rhapsody.  I'm not sure it would work for the Short Works bill on Thursday, but then I don't have tickets for both anyway.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Yes, if I've done my calculations correctly I could drop Valses Nobles tomorrow and watch Les Rendezvous, then back to the Linbury for the rest of the programme, then back to the ROH for Rhapsody.  I'm not sure it would work for the Short Works bill on Thursday, but then I don't have tickets for both anyway.

Short Works on Friday 7th, @alison- don't go on the wrong day!   😉

5 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Short works programme on Thursday June 6 - as well as Friday June 7.

It's Les Rendezvous/The Dream/Rhapsody  on Thursday, and The Dream/Short Works/Rhapsody on Friday, @Bluebird

(Not trying to be pedantic but clarifying in case readers see it, get confused and buy tickets for the wrong day! .. @alison and I referring to Short Works (upper case W and S) meaning the mixed bill with Hamlet and Ophelia). 

• Like 1

Wonderful programme- highly enjoyable afternoon..but Osipova should have worn that wig...a nasty tangle brought the glorious Dream pdd to an abrupt, painful halt! Poor dancers... . 

Anyway...can't wait for more of this bill. 

• Like 6

Tonight's cast sheet is up. Great to see Romany Pajdak is back, as Hermia, after what must be about 18 months off. (No, I'm obviously not going, just looking enviously & hoping I can manage to see the casts later in the run.)

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Les-Rendezvous-The-Dream-Rhapsody/Ashton-Celebrated-Les-Rendezvous-The-Dream-Rhapsody-Cast-Sheet-06-06-2024.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I don’t think she was wearing the wig. It looked painful (I saw her wipe her eye) - I hope they’re both ok! 

What a wonderful afternoon. I know we aren’t supposed to comment on generals so I’ll just say, Liam Boswell was a revelation! 

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

I think Natalia and William took the incident in  their stride, Her hair became entangled in the spikes of his crown whilst dancing the duet.

Initially the dancers tried to deal with the entanglement between themselves but eventually  five members of the stage crew came on individually to deal with the issue, the last stage hand  bringing with her a pair of scissors

When they became untangled both  dancers were laughing and smiling , Natalie punched the air with both arms , William was laughing and smiling a lot : > ) 

All's well that end well : > )

Edited by hephaistion03
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, Mary said:

Wonderful programme- highly enjoyable afternoon..but Osipova should have worn that wig...a nasty tangle brought the glorious Dream pdd to an abrupt, painful halt! Poor dancers... . 

It was dealt with exceptionally well and lovely to see a bit of a human side to them both…

Can’t wait for the opening performance tonight and thrilled to see Daichi as Puck  after feeling there wasn’t enough of him this afternoon. I didn’t hear what KoH had to say before the performance as an usher was telling the person next to me off, I assume it was some explanation as to why Daichi and Joohnyuk were sharing the role (perhaps for Daichi to go easy on the allegro before tonight)?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Tonight's cast sheet is up. Great to see Romany Pajdak is back, as Hermia, after what must be about 18 months off.

Yes, I'm delighted that she's back.  Hope I'll get to see her later in the run, too.

Talking of promoting the programme, as we were, I've totally managed to miss all those articles in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar etc. about Jasper Conran designing the costumes for Les Rendezvous ... :( 

I'm also rather concerned at the apparent absence of Marco Masciari from Les Rendezvous.  He was supposed to be dancing it with Liam Boswell ...

7 hours ago, Mary said:

May I ask how a wig would have made a difference regarding the entanglement?  That she could have ripped off the wig and continue dancing with wig-flattened hair and Will with a wig attached to his crown?

I saw it simply a funny little episode in live theatre.  I don't think anyone in the audience minded the stopping and rugby huddle to disentangle Titania and Oberon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, I'm delighted that she's back.  Hope I'll get to see her later in the run, too.

Talking of promoting the programme, as we were, I've totally managed to miss all those articles in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar etc. about Jasper Conran designing the costumes for Les Rendezvous ... :( 

I'm also rather concerned at the apparent absence of Marco Masciari from Les Rendezvous.  He was supposed to be dancing it with Liam Boswell ...

I don't think there's anything to be worried about just yet, they had a real mix and mash of casts.  Liam Boswell for example is scheduled to dance Puck with Yasmine Naghdi and Calvin Richardson, and Taisuke is scheduled with Osipova and Bracewell.

Just realised that it is the birthday  anniversary of  Dame Ninette de Valois (Madam) today (born 1898!) She would have been pleased that there were two performances of ballets by Frederick Ashton taking place on her birthday, one danced by the ballet company she founded,  the other danced by a ballet company led by two dancers from the companies she founded. Happy 126th Birthday Anniversary to Madam! 🎂 💐 🥂  

• Like 12

Thank you for the photos @Rob S. I am very pleased to see the costumes for Les Rendezvous. When I read recently that they were going to be designed by Jasper Conran I was afraid they would be awfully modern & minimalist so it's a relief to see that they're not.

• Like 3

Lovely to see Dowell and Sibley on stage….my all time two favourite Oberon and Titania!! 
Also looked like Viola and Harrison Lee  in the pics …anyone know what roles they were performing? 

• Like 3