THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2024

In a similar vein, despite not being able to dance Puck, but admiring his performances in Winter's Tale and also his glorious style in the pas de trois in Les Rendezvous, I certainly hope there's a promotion on the cards for Marco Masciari. 

• Like 6

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add my vote for Leticia Dias.  She was the one who really stood out for me in Rhapsody.  She just looked so happy when she was dancing.  She is a soloist already though, and maybe there is no room for any more first soloists.  Incidentally, apart from prestige, what roles would a first soloist expect to get that wouldn't normally be given to a soloist?  

• Like 2

Jun is a fine dancer with an amazing technique lots of tricks and little charisma and to compare him to Kimmimin Kim who has soul and who  is perhaps the best  male dancer at the moment  is premature . Kimmin is also a very charming man  , i had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago 

• Like 1

Slight tangent - but I wonder how much the personality of the director has on this. I was watching on YouTube a fascinating interview from a couple of years ago with Wayne Eagling. He spoke of his experiences with different directors and as a director. As we know Muntagirov always acknowledges the support and encouragement he received from WE. Who was so candid as always. MacMillan chose him from the corps to play Romeo and he was the second cast Rudolf. And though he felt Ashton was not necessarily an admirer - he did create Hamlet and Ophelia on him In Nureyev’s absence.I think having directors who create works must have an impact on which dancers achieve higher ranking? It’s been a long while since the RB director has been a choreographer… this is no criticism at all it just struck me as I watched the interview…apropos of nothing he has a funny aside about an odd encounter with a fan at the SD!

• Like 1

My promotions predictions...

Although I personally would leave it another season for both of them, I have a feeling that both Joseph Sissens and Calvin Richardson will get promoted. The 'roster' of Principals is currently slightly unbalanced at 8 men to 10 women, and although I don't think that alone should warrant promotions, I could see it playing a factor. If only one of them gets promoted, I imagine it'll be Joseph first. I do think the Principal rank is a bit overcrowded already, but it's definitely possible one or both of them get promoted. I'd love to see Melissa Hamilton promoted too but sadly don't see it happening now :(

Other predictions:

Lukas BB, Mariko Sasaki and Leo Dixon all from Soloist to First Soloist. Could absolutely see Sae Maeda getting a promotion too, but that may make the rank a little overcrowded!

I think the promotions I feel most strongly about are Liam Boswell, Marco Masciari and Daichi Ikarashi all from First Artist to Soloist... Would love to see Julia Roscoe promoted too. 

Madison Bailey, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Ella Newton Severgnini and Viola Pantuso all from Artist to First Artist. Could see Viola potentially skipping a rank straight to Soloist but I'm not sure if / how often they tend to do that. Brayden Gallucci has also stood out to me a couple of times this season so think he is a possibility too.

• Like 3

Not sure if she has been mentioned before, but after her delightful performance in Les Rendezvous, I would like to see Sophie Allnatt promoted to soloist.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

And though he felt Ashton was not necessarily an admirer - he did create Hamlet and Ophelia on him

He also created a gala number for him, a solo to music by Gounod that required amazing virtuosity that was never seen again presumably because it was too difficult for any other dancer at the time.  I wonder if Mr Eagling still remembers it?  All Ashton choreography should be passed down, especially such a show stopper.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...