THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2024

57 minutes ago, alison said:

(And I actually really enjoyed Hayward's Aurora - and her Sugar Plum Fairy.  They struck me as being more old-school Royal Ballet than others' performances, but none the worse for it.)

I'm glad you enjoyed them.  I didn't particularly.  To each their own.

• Like 4

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I am rather surprised by the extent of support here for Hamilton to be made a Principal, now, after unfortunately missing out for so long to date. There are  already 10 female Principals and we are often complaining as to the low number of performances this affords each. 

There is also some doubt expressed  about Melissa's classical dancing. Even if, as a Principal, she were still left out of the classics, I imagine promotion  would imply more lead performances in other ballets, which would further dilute performances per head in those roles.

I don't want any dancers to be made Principals this year really as I think there are plenty already and they don't get to dance enough in major works, IMO. I don't see anything wrong with First Soloists dancing Principal roles as this has happened for a long time. I forgot there are so many female Principals, to be honest. 

I can't comment on whether Melissa Hamilton should be promoted or not as I don't pretend to understand what merits it and what doesn't and the decision is not up to me anyway. I've seen a couple of dancers promoted too quickly, IMO, and others who've waited too long. But it's subjective and I don't pretend to understand what goes on behind the scenes or who has a wonderful technique or is lacking in some areas etc. I personally think Hamilton would have been promoted by now if she was going to be (I think she's 36 this year?) However, that doesn't mean I don't admire a lot of her dancing, as I do. Also, not everyone makes it to Principal level and even when they do, they don't get to dance things that I think they definitely should have - I'm thinking particularly of Laura Morera here. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think Akane Takada and Francesca are slightly softer dancers with still really excellent technique and in my view certainly up there for all the main roles but perhaps slightly less powerful in purely technique terms. 

I agree. Francesca's Manon is absolutely stunning - I'm not a fan of her Odette/Odile but she has many other roles that showcase her strengths really well, I also really liked her Aurora. I would certainly like to book for her and Corrales in Cinderella, as I didn't see her perform it last time and I've also never seen them really dance together live, as I didn't see their Romeo and Juliet.

I saw Akane as Cinderella in the last run and she was absolutely delightful. I think she is a very strong dancer technically as well, having seen a recording of her Kitri and Odette/Odile. I'm sad that she wasn't able to perform Manon - hopefully she will be dancing Juliet in the upcoming performances. 

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I agree. Francesca's Manon is absolutely stunning - I'm not a fan of her Odette/Odile but she has many other roles that showcase her strengths really well,  I would certainly like to book for her and Corrales in Cinderella, as I didn't see her perform it last time and I've also never seen them really dance together live, as I didn't see their Romeo and Juliet.

Yes, this.  As I said above, she is wonderful in MacMillan (yes, her Manon is astonishing) and Ashton.  For me, her classical technique isn't strong enough to carry one of those lead roles (although I did like her Giselle).  Her first R&J with Corrales knocked me sideways, but when I saw them in it again it did nothing much for me.  Weird.  Maybe it was just me having a bad day!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

So she left to be able to do this with the German Company at Dresden where Aaron Watkin ( now ENB AD) did offer her these roles. 

However with Aaron Watkin now AD at ENB…..well I won’t put it in writing.

I hadn't twigged the connection that Aaron Watkin was running Dresden when she danced there. That does give rise to thoughts of possibilities, though given ENB only does one of the full length MacMillans, and that only rarely, I'm not sure their rep necessarily plays to her strengths.

1 hour ago, Fairy said:

Agreed, her Aurora and Cinderella were some of my favourites! And I haven't seen her SPF live but have seen a video and she looks technically strong. Would someone mind explaining to me why she is often considered on this forum not right for classic roles? I'm genuinely curious! 

I really liked Hayward when I saw as Aurora but when I saw her as Odette/Odile, her second performance in the 2022 run, she was very obviously struggling with some of the Act III choreography so I'm not sure I'd want to see her again in that role, especially with SL prices being so high. I've not seen her as the SPF.

• Like 4

I found Ms Hayward's Cinderella exceptional.  Her Juliet was one of the best I've ever seen.

I want Ondine revived for her.  She would be perfect as Chloe too.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I found Ms Hayward's Cinderella exceptional.  Her Juliet was one of the best I've ever seen.

I want Ondine revived for her.  She would be perfect as Chloe too.

I don’t much like Ondine but would happily see it if Hayward and Naghdi were cast in the leading role.  

• Like 6

I have queried promotions before in my own mind; either the failure to promote those I thought deserved it, but more usually the promotion of an individual who just doesn't do it for me.   Sometimes the latter surprises me, and I can see why they achieved the top tier.  Other times, I still don't get it.  On the odd occasion, I feel that an individual is very talented but has been promoted too early, and consequently I usually never end up seeing them at all unless my preferred choice is injured.  

I certainly don't think women should be promoted purely because they are seen to be capable of dancing Odette/Odile or Aurora.  If they have never danced them before reaching principal level, nobody can ever really know what they will make of them.  I do find the decision to not cast a principal in one of those roles, and to opt for someone from the lower ranks instead to be a bit odd, especially if the principal concerned is obviously more than capable of doing them.  Unless, of course, the principal has specifically said they don't want to do it.  I know Benjamin opted out of those roles later in her career.  The worst thing must be to achieve a certain rank, and then not get the roles appropriate to that rank. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

The worst thing must be to achieve a certain rank, and then not get the roles appropriate to that rank. 

It feels like Gasparini's had that a bit this season. She's been promoted to First Soloist but apart from Danses Concertantes, which she only got because of O'Sullivan being injured, it doesn't seem to have brought her many larger roles. Which is particularly odd given that there's less competition from the established First Soloists this season given Calvert's & Choe's maternity leaves. In terms of who is getting the big roles it feels like maybe Sasaki should have been promted instead, as she's had both the SPF and O/O this season.

• Like 9

Hmm now I’m confused! 
The Royal Ballet School has just posted Don’t miss Joe Sissens , Principal of the Royal Ballet, opening the summer fair this year on June 15th! 
Have the RBS made a mistake or have they inadvertently let it slip that Joe is now a Principal 🤔

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Hmm now I’m confused! 
The Royal Ballet School has just posted Don’t miss Joe Sissens , Principal of the Royal Ballet, opening the summer fair this year on June 15th! 
Have the RBS made a mistake or have they inadvertently let it slip that Joe is now a Principal 🤔

I wouldn't be surprised if they  let the proverbial cat out but The RBS web page states This year’s fair will be opened by a special guest, alumnus and First Soloist of  The Royal Ballet, Joseph Sissens.  

Summer Fair - The Royal Ballet School

Edited by oncnp

My friend in Oz who arrives in U.K. next week showed me the info no doubt on Facebook and asked me when was Joe promoted!!! 
I said as far as I know he hasn’t been unless somebody responsible for the Facebook page has just made a genuine mistake. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 31/05/2024 at 17:29, Dawnstar said:

In terms of who is getting the big roles it feels like maybe Sasaki should have been promted instead, as she's had both the SPF and O/O this season.

I can see your point there, but I'm sure Isabella will be getting roles like Juliet and potentially might do Alice next season, who knows. I think Sasaki should be promoted to first soloist as soon as a spot becomes available, after seeing her O/O.

Edited by art_enthusiast

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

The above is what was posted to my friend in Oz!! 

Never doubted you. The RBS Facebook post re: the Fair has been changed

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2024 at 15:43, lady emily said:

I completely agree with this, I feel like the hierarchy is fattest in the middle rather than at the bottom. I don't feel like I should be watching first soloists perform in the waltz in Swan Lake, for example. 

I wouldn't mind that at all.

They are professional dancers, whose career is to perform on stage in front of an audience, so it makes sense for them to take corps roles sometimes, partly to keep match fit, partly to earn their wages, and also to act as a steadying hand if the corps has some younger, less experienced dancers in it. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

My suggestions for RB promotions: 

- Madison Bailey, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Viola Pantuso and Stanisław Węgrzyn to First Artist

- Daichi Ikarashi, Marco Masciari, Julia Roscoe, Nadia Mullova-Barley and Francisco Serrano to Soloist

- Mariko Sasaki, Teo Dubreuil and Lukas B Brændsrød to First Soloist 

- Melissa Hamilton to Principal 

Like my suggestions for the other companies, this is based on what I've seen live on stage (I obviously can't watch every single RB performance) but are suggestions rather than predictions. I've also not included Aud Jebsen Programme and Prix de Lausanne apprentice progression (or not) to the main company as I think there are other factors (eg dancer choice, funding etc) as well and dancing frequent shows in the corps which I'm never going to have the time to see. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

@Emeralds I agree with many of your suggestions but if Ikarashi & Masciari were to be promoted then I'd want Boswell to be too, as the 3 of them have danced most of the same roles this season.

I'd be fine with that too; he's always  danced with an assured and solid technique and a very natural and committed acting style (in the RBS production of Cunning Little Vixen, in  The Weathering, as the Jester in Cinderella etc etc). He would certainly be able to deliver as a soloist. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

I am not sure anyone has mentioned Joonhyuk Jun - so I am! I think he is an exceptional talent, with the same easy (but rare) virtuosity as his illustrious countryman Kimin Kim. He deserves to be promoted asap I think to enable his very special talent to develop in more prominent roles and to consolidate partnering and acting skills. The very recent announcement about his appearance in  Rhapsody is an unexpected bonus, but one where he will surely shine brilliantly. 

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

I am not sure anyone has mentioned Joonhyuk Jun - so I am! I think he is an exceptional talent, with the same easy (but rare) virtuosity as his illustrious countryman Kimin Kim. He deserves to be promoted asap I think to enable his very special talent to develop in more prominent roles and to consolidate partnering and acting skills. The very recent announcement about his appearance in  Rhapsody is an unexpected bonus, but one where he will surely shine brilliantly. 

Oh, definitely. I wish I could see him perform it. He is excellent 

I find it very interesting that a ballet created on Baryshnikov that was thought to be exceptionally demanding technically is not now being danced this season by a single principal man. That to me speaks volumes for the talent within the lower ranks of the company (as it’s worked out I’ll be seeing Luca Acri twice but I’m sure the other gentlemen will be dazzling too and am particularly sorry not to be seeing Joonhyuk Jun, whose absence from the initial casting had slightly surprised me). Looking forward very much to the three Sarasota programmes this weekend and then the first of the RB Ashton on Monday. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

💯 Yes. He is amazing. I still remember watching him do class on stage where he was doing a manage (hope that is the correct term?) with the highest and most crazily difficult looking jumps and fell landing the final one with a big bang on the floor. There was an audible gasp from the audience (I was thinking he must have broken something as it was quite a fall) he then immediately just sprung up and did the same very complex last jump and landed it perfectly to huge applause. Literally as if nothing had happened and my good lord he took a massive bash onto the stage when he fell I was convinced it was a career ending injury but no, it was like water off a ducks back. Total legend. He got promoted last season I think and hope he does again this season. Love watching him. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

I spotted Joonhyuk Jun in the ensemble in The Winter's Tale as a joyful shepherd with great elevation (Teo Dubreuil too, when not portraying Antigonus), in the ensemble in Swan Lake, and as one of the men in Danses Concertantes.

Did wonder why he wasn't in more prominent solo/jumping roles during spring (pun really unintended!) after previous seasons where he had danced solo roles like Bluebird beautifully, so it is great to see him now listed for the lead in Rhapsody! 

Gotta say, he danced all the ensemble parts in spring  with as much finesse, elevation and joy as if they were just as important as solo roles- such a pleasant to see. Very pleased for him that he now has a great opportunity after showing such great commitment and professionalism no matter what kind of role. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I spotted Joonhyuk Jun in the ensemble in The Winter's Tale as a joyful shepherd with great elevation (Teo Dubreuil too, when not portraying Antigonus), in the ensemble in Swan Lake, and as one of the men in Danses Concertantes.

Did wonder why he wasn't in more prominent solo/jumping roles during spring (pun really unintended!) after previous seasons where he had danced solo roles like Bluebird beautifully, so it is great to see him now listed for the lead in Rhapsody! 

Gotta say, he danced all the ensemble parts in spring  with as much finesse, elevation and joy as if they were just as important as solo roles- such a pleasant to see. Very pleased for him that he now has a great opportunity after showing such great commitment and professionalism no matter what kind of role. 

Always loved his lead mandolin player in R&J, he's such a talent 

• Like 4

Every time I see there's been new posts here, I keep thinking that the thread must have turned into "actual promotions" by now ;) Or is it right at the end of the season?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

As a matter of interest does anybody know when any promotions will actually be announced? 

usually towards the end of June, or into July most likely this year, as the season ending quite late, once the dancers have had their end of season personal reviews with Kevin. Usually after the summer tour, if there is a tour, if memory serves...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 06/06/2024 at 13:36, Emeralds said:

I saw Joonhyuk Jun as Benno in Swan Lake too (very very confident and amazing jumps) so I think he is definitely on the soloist casting track 

• Like 5