THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2024

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very heartened by the ardent praise for Melissa Hamilton on this thread and I only wish to add my enthusiastic agreement!

In my opinion, she has stage presence, pathos and charisma on stage that surpasses even some of the current principals. I will always book for her in MacMillan. She gives a razor sharp clarity to McGregor's creations that others cannot. She is irrepressibly a star. As others have said, I also admire her tenacity in pursuing her career her own way.

No principal needs to do 'everything' - it is high time she was recognised for her work outside the 'classics', in a similar vein to Watson. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I think maybe you have to be seen as somebody who can carry the big main classical roles like Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty to become a Principal.
Im not saying Melissa Hamilton couldn’t at this stage in her career and I’m  sure “lesser” dancers (in the all round sense) have been promoted on occasions just because their underlying  classical technique is so strong and reliable. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RobR said:

Julia has danced; Myrthe, Lilac Fairy, Queen of the Dryads, Big Swan, Dancing Mistress?

In my early ballet-going dyas, Myrthe and Lilac Fairy were both principal roles, usually danced by the taller ballerinas such as Deanne Bergsma, Vergie Derman and Monica Mason, with Marguerite Porter a notable exception to thar rule as Lilac Fairy..

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think maybe you have to be seen as somebody who can carry the big main classical roles like Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty to become a Principal.
Im not saying Melissa Hamilton couldn’t at this stage in her career and I’m  sure “lesser” dancers (in the all round sense) have been promoted on occasions just because their underlying  classical technique is so strong and reliable. 

This doesn’t always apply - Hayward hasn’t danced any of the ‘tutu classics’ when she became principal and I think she only relatively recently danced Odette/Odile. 

I agree that it is time that Melissa Hamilton was promoted. She would not necessarily be the only principal who was not a top choice for the classics. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, MildConcern said:

I am very heartened by the ardent praise for Melissa Hamilton on this thread and I only wish to add my enthusiastic agreement!

In my opinion, she has stage presence, pathos and charisma on stage that surpasses even some of the current principals. I will always book for her in MacMillan. She gives a razor sharp clarity to McGregor's creations that others cannot. She is irrepressibly a star. As others have said, I also admire her tenacity in pursuing her career her own way.

No principal needs to do 'everything' - it is high time she was recognised for her work outside the 'classics', in a similar vein to Watson. 

I completely agree. Melissa is 34 years old so hopefully still has years to give her audiences.  I note she has arranged her own gala in Belfast this autumn. She is also very popular abroad, eg as Bolle's partner.  I wonder if she is fed up waiting for her deserved promotion, and is looking for greener pastures?

I certainly enjoy watching her rather than a couple of the other Principals. Is anyone else planning on going to see her in Belfast?  I am.

Another dancer who feels 'overlooked' is Valentino Zucchetti, now I believe 36 and not often mentioned on this forum.  I've always thought he is technically very good, but he has never reached that final goal of Principal. At least he can get satisfaction from his developing career as choreographer.  I much prefer his choreo to most of the new work that is being produced. I also really like Luca Acri's dancing and stage presence.

• Like 16

24 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

II also really like Luca Acri's dancing and stage presence.

Luca Acri is a stunningly brilliant dancer IMO, especially after his principal performance in Don Q. I was blown away - though I usually am by whatever he does! Unfortunately I don't think I managed to book for his Rhapsody this time, but I'm sure he will nail the role.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, MildConcern said:

Yep - I have a feeling that she would nail Odette/Odile though, so I'm quite baffled that she hasn't been given the opportunity to perform it where other first soloists/soloists have.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Morera never danced either Odette/Odile or Aurora, did she? I'm sure she could have done if she was allowed to and likewise Hamilton might be able to if cast. I seem to recall, from an interview a while ago, that Hamilton danced both roles in Dresden. Magri didn't dance any of the 3 major Tchaikovsky ballet leads until after she was promoted to Principal (though admittedly that was partly due to covid cancellations).

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Yep - I have a feeling that she would nail Odette/Odile though, so I'm quite baffled that she hasn't been given the opportunity to perform it where other first soloists/soloists have.

Hamilton is the only dancer I've seen as one of the Two Swans who manages to make that choreography enjoyable for me so I would book instantly if she was ever cast as Odette/Odile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Another dancer who feels 'overlooked' is Valentino Zucchetti, now I believe 36 and not often mentioned on this forum.  I've always thought he is technically very good, but he has never reached that final goal of Principal. At least he can get satisfaction from his developing career as choreographer.  I much prefer his choreo to most of the new work that is being produced. I also really like Luca Acri's dancing and stage presence.

During the early pandemic there was a BBC documentary about the men of the Royal Ballet (apologies, I cannot remember when it exactly was or its title) Zucchetti was featured in it and his 'storyline' was about feeling frustrated with not being given the opportunities or title of principal he felt like he deserved. At the end he said he had come to terms with the fact it would probably not happen but that he wouldn't want to dance elsewhere. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Another dancer who feels 'overlooked' is Valentino Zucchetti, now I believe 36 and not often mentioned on this forum.

He has had the misfortune to be struck down by a series of injuries that have kept him off the stage sadly. And once out of sight, others have accelerated past him. It seems he has only recently returned, so never say never

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lady emily said:

During the early pandemic there was a BBC documentary about the men of the Royal Ballet (apologies, I cannot remember when it exactly was or its title) Zucchetti was featured in it and his 'storyline' was about feeling frustrated with not being given the opportunities or title of principal he felt like he deserved. At the end he said he had come to terms with the fact it would probably not happen but that he wouldn't want to dance elsewhere. 

Men at the Barre

May 2020...and occasionally on the iPlayer

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Luca Acri is a stunningly brilliant dancer IMO, especially after his principal performance in Don Q. I was blown away - though I usually am by whatever he does! Unfortunately I don't think I managed to book for his Rhapsody this time, but I'm sure he will nail the role.

I agree, I've liked him in everything I've seen him in especially in the gala for Ukraine where he was incredibly moving in the Lacrimosa which put him on my radar. I always have the feeling he thinks very deeply about what he's dancing.  

Luca is also rather lovely as a person.  He's very charming.  He taught a ballet class I attended once and he gave really intelligent feedback and corrections to everyone.  I wish he'd teach more, he's got a talent for it.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Another dancer who feels 'overlooked' is Valentino Zucchetti, now I believe 36 and not often mentioned on this forum.  I've always thought he is technically very good, but he has never reached that final goal of Principal. At least he can get satisfaction from his developing career as choreographer.  I much prefer his choreo to most of the new work that is being produced.

He's a really good choreographer in my opinion, I've liked all of his work.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Not at the Royal Ballet: Sarah Wildor, Mara Galeazzi, Laura Morera, to name a few on the female side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

Not at the Royal Ballet: Sarah Wildor, Mara Galeazzi, Laura Morera, to name a few on the female side.

Although all three did dance Giselle, which has, so far, eluded Hamilton as well s Aurora and Odette/Odile. She did dance The Sugar Plum Fairy for a couple of runs, but was then taken out of it.

I have great admiration for her tenacity in carving out a career, but would think that the time for promotion has, as with Yuhui Choe, passed. 

• Like 4

Then I can see no good reason why she hasn’t been promoted who knows how the management think but there will be a reason we are just not privy to it. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MildConcern said:

I would book to see her over most of the principals in MacMillan. 

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Legseleven said:

This doesn’t always apply - Hayward hasn’t danced any of the ‘tutu classics’ when she became principal and I think she only relatively recently danced Odette/Odile. 

No but she has danced a lot of them now, and I think the fact that she hadn't before she was promoted could be due to timing and the fact that she was promoted young. She is excellent in classical roles like Aurora, Cinderella etc, whereas I can't see Hamilton in those roles. I can understand why she hasn't been made principle. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fairy said:

No but she has danced a lot of them now, and I think the fact that she hadn't before she was promoted could be due to timing and the fact that she was promoted young. She is excellent in classical roles like Aurora, Cinderella etc, whereas I can't see Hamilton in those roles. I can understand why she hasn't been made principle. 

For your information regarding Melissa as guest principal at Semperoper:

“In the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons she took a leave of absence from The Royal Ballet to dance with Semperoper Ballett, Dresden, making debuts as Odette/Odile (Swan Lake), Aurora (The Sleeping Beauty) and Nikiya (La Bayadere).” 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Fairy said:

Edward Watson was a very successful Principal and stopped dancing the classics early in his career.  I love Hayward in Ashton and MacMillan but for me her weak points are the classics.  If a dancer has something to give at Principal level, even if they can't/don't dance the classics, there is no reason why they should not be there.  As has been pointed out several times, Laura Morera was a Principal for years without ever dancing Aurora, O/O or Juliet.  And to reiterate, not everyone can do everything!

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

For your information regarding Melissa as guest principal at Semperoper:

“In the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons she took a leave of absence from The Royal Ballet to dance with Semperoper Ballett, Dresden, making debuts as Odette/Odile (Swan Lake), Aurora (The Sleeping Beauty) and Nikiya (La Bayadere).” 

I meant at the Royal Ballet. I am sure that in most other ballet companies she would be at principle level. 

I saw Hamilton in Sleeping Beauty recently as Princess Florine and it looked like she struggled. Maybe she was having an off day, but she didn't look fluid and some of the choreography had been adapted (the hops on point in the middle of the solo, sorry not sure of the official term). So that put me off booking to see her principle classic roles (if she was given them) such as Swan Lake, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. I absolutely would book to see her in Macmillan so it's not that I don't appreciate her as a dancer!

In my opinion, if she's not going to dance any of the big classic leads (which I believe O'Hare must have his reasons for not casting her in these roles) then she should remain as first soloist. I'm also in agreement with other members of this forum who say it is great for the audience to have strong first soloists with star quality and Hamilton is certainly one of them. 

Edward Watson was promoted by Monica Mason, perhaps if this had been during Kevin O'Hare's time he wouldn't have, who knows!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sim said:

Edward Watson was a very successful Principal and stopped dancing the classics early in his career.  I love Hayward in Ashton and MacMillan but for me her weak points are the classics.  If a dancer has something to give at Principal level, even if they can't/don't dance the classics, there is no reason why they should not be there.  As has been pointed out several times, Laura Morera was a Principal for years without ever dancing Aurora, O/O or Juliet.  And to reiterate, not everyone can do everything!

Totally agree not everyone should do everything. I think it was a good move not to cast Hayward as Kitri for example, but I do think that dancers should be dancing some of the big classics (the ones that most suit them) if they are to be a principle. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

As has been pointed out several times, Laura Morera was a Principal for years without ever dancing Aurora, O/O or Juliet.  And to reiterate, not everyone can do everything!

Though as many of us think,  she could have and should have.........as opposed to not being suitable, willing  or as good at these types of role.

I think myself that being an excellent partner is very important for a Principal and that is sometimes a relative weakness for some otherwise excellent performers. (Certainly not for Morera.)

• Like 6

Hamilton has had an unusual career in that although many young dancers applying to RB Upper school or later the Company don’t get in they sometimes end up joining other companies first but then some of them end up eventually with the Company later on ( especially if initially trained with the school) 

However Melissa joined the Company after winning the American Ballet Grand Prix and was getting some good roles but not offered the classics such as Swan Lake which she wanted. So she left to be able to do this with the German Company at Dresden where Aaron Watkin ( now ENB AD) did offer her these roles. 
She says she realised it would take ages to possibly be offered these big classical roles at the RB so took advantage of the offer from Dresden. 
She left whilst Monica Mason was AD so unlikely ( and understandably)  be taken back into RB and suddenly then promoted while she was still in charge. 
However under Kevin O Hare no reason really why she shouldn’t be. 
But she has been doing the roles in the past she had already performed with RB before she left plus new major roles in works since like McGregor etc. 

But hasn’t “progressed” to perform the Swan Lakes etc she wanted to do with the Royal originally. 

I’m guessing that if it  isn’t this year I would assume she won’t make Principal at RB now. 

However with Aaron Watkin now AD at ENB…..well I won’t put it in writing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Edward Watson was a very successful Principal and stopped dancing the classics early in his career.  I love Hayward in Ashton and MacMillan but for me her weak points are the classics. 

You make it sound as though Watson was dancing the classics from early on, Sim!  The only "classic" he ever danced - barring some Nutcrackers with a Japanese company, I understand - was in Giselle (2005 onwards, I think), and he stopped dancing Albrecht when his Giselle, Leanne Benjamin, retired (2013, which was about the time O'Hare took over at the RB, if that is relevant at all).  But he'd already danced ample Ashton/MacMillan/Balanchine/contemporary works before his promotion.

(And I actually really enjoyed Hayward's Aurora - and her Sugar Plum Fairy.  They struck me as being more old-school Royal Ballet than others' performances, but none the worse for it.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am rather surprised by the extent of support here for Hamilton to be made a Principal, now, after unfortunately missing out for so long to date. There are  already 10 female Principals and we are often complaining as to the low number of performances this affords each. 

There is also some doubt expressed  about Melissa's classical dancing. Even if, as a Principal, she were still left out of the classics, I imagine promotion  would imply more lead performances in other ballets, which would further dilute performances per head in those roles.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, alison said:

(And I actually really enjoyed Hayward's Aurora - and her Sugar Plum Fairy.  They struck me as being more old-school Royal Ballet than others' performances, but none the worse for it.)

Agreed, her Aurora and Cinderella were some of my favourites! And I haven't seen her SPF live but have seen a video and she looks technically strong. Would someone mind explaining to me why she is often considered on this forum not right for classic roles? I'm genuinely curious! 

Edited by Fairy
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

I keep missing her in Swan Lake for various reasons but enjoyed her SPF 

Am really looking forward to her Cinderella this time ( have the date bookmarked ready!) as missed that too in the last run so I can’t help much with this I’m afraid …Im sure others will though….as she is one of my favourite dancers for most things…..other than the RB is lucky to have some dancers with super classical technique like Nunez Naghdi and Kaneko they tend to be in a class of their own purely where that supreme ease of execution and control is required. 
I think Akane Takada and Francesca are slightly softer dancers with still really excellent technique and in my view certainly up there for all the main roles but perhaps slightly less powerful in purely technique terms. 
My top three are Hayward Takada and Kaneko but sometimes their performance dates don’t match up but am more than happy to see Naghdi or Nunez or even Osipova!!!! 
Lucky old RB 

Just to add Francesca’s Giselle with Alexander Campbell and her R&J with Corrales are two of my all time favourite performances in these ballets. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5