THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2024

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Lower down the ranks it feels like there are a number of possible promotions to Soloist or First Artist that would be deserved but a limited number of possible vacancies to enable promotions. I might be wrong but in theory I'd expect a ballet company to have the greatest number of dancers at the lowest rank with numbers then gradually decreasing up the ranks, however the RB already currently has more Soloists and First Artists than Artists, hence it feels like promotion possibilities may be limited.

I completely agree with this, I feel like the hierarchy is fattest in the middle rather than at the bottom. I don't feel like I should be watching first soloists perform in the waltz in Swan Lake, for example. 

• Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

No  male promotions to Principal, please. We have far too many - they don't get enough opportunity to dance enough of any ballets as it is and I don't think any dancers are quite there yet - just my opinion. Sissens is a lovely dancer but I don't think he merits it yet. Same for Richardson. I think Mariko Sasaki and Lukas BB definitely to First Soloist (the latter has surely learnt this after such a fabulous season!)  Leo Dixon, Viola Pantuso, Marianna Tsembenhoi and surely Marco Masciari - though to what, who knows?! I think we need more First Soloists, personally. Not sure how it all works though and whether some can skip levels and also, is it a good idea to?  Melissa Hamilton's lack of promotion really has surprised me over the years - I sadly can't see her being promoted now, but who knows? If RB were to make a new Principal, then I'd be more than happy for it to be her.  I like Nadia Mullova Barley and would like to see her promoted to Soloist, I think. 

Senior moment - or autocorrect, not sure which. Above, I meant to type that Lucas BB has 'earned' a promotion, not 'learnt', though I'm certain he has learnt a lot this season too! 🤣

• Like 1

Joseph Sissens has just been cast as the Prince in Cinderella with Takada. Calvin Richardson has also been cast with Magri. I'm thinking O'Hare might be looking to even out the ranks...

• Like 1

Whoops I just went there Linnzi and saw casting for main two are up!! 
I will be going for Francesca and Cesar this time and maybe Sissens and Takada as didn’t see them last run.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lady emily said:

I completely agree with this, I feel like the hierarchy is fattest in the middle rather than at the bottom. I don't feel like I should be watching first soloists perform in the waltz in Swan Lake, for example. 

I agree they're not roles that would require First Soloists but given how many SL performances there are & how few major male roles there are I suppose it gives them some stage time, otherwise they'd only be appearing in 2 or 3 performances each, as either Siegfried or Benno, out of a run of about 30.

14 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Joseph Sissens has just been cast as the Prince in Cinderella with Takada. Calvin Richardson has also been cast with Magri. I'm thinking O'Hare might be looking to even out the ranks...

I've just twigged that while Richardson & Sissens are cast this time Edmonds isn't, even though he subbed for Sambe as the Prince last time. That feels like a bit of a snub for Edmonds. I didn't see him in the last run but from what I recall his performance seemed to get reasonably positive comments.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I was wondering the very same thing the other day. When would we hear? With other joining/leaving announcements?

Yes, they usually announce leavers/joiners in the same statement as promotions, at the end of the season.  This season we had the very unusual scenario of Giacomo Rovero getting promoted mid-season.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just twigged that while Richardson & Sissens are cast this time Edmonds isn't, even though he subbed for Sambe as the Prince last time. That feels like a bit of a snub for Edmonds. I didn't see him in the last run but from what I recall his performance seemed to get reasonably positive comments.

I was at his Cinderella performance (had originally booked for Sambe/Takada). I think he was good, and I also appreciated his performance opposite Calvert in Swan Lake, but he didn't really grip me with his stage presence, whereas Sambe always does. This is just a personal observation - he's obviously a great dancer. Of course, there isn't much acting or story required for the prince in Cinderella - I didn't see his Leontes, which must have given him more opportunity to get into the role.

• Like 3

Sissens has just been partnered with Takada for Cinderella,  as well as  Swan Lake. I am now predicting he will be made Principal at the end of the current season, notwithstanding the reservations expressed here that this may be earlier than ideal. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Sissens has just been partnered with Takada for Cinderella,  as well as  Swan Lake. I am now predicting he will be made Principal at the end of the current season, notwithstanding the reservations expressed here that this may be earlier than ideal. 

I think his partnering skills would boost quite quickly if he gets cast in more principal roles - and if he does get made a principal at the end of this season then that must be a guarantee of most principal male roles. So it's a good thing either way I guess, even if it is a bit rushed as I think he's only been a first soloist for 1 year. I believe first soloists do get to do quite a few principal roles though, so the promotion might not be happening yet. Either way I would be very happy for him!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Definitely Julia Roscoe and Nadia Mullova Barley to Soloists  

Have they done many soloist-level roles?  They may well have done, and I've just missed them, given my erratic attendance this season.

6 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Not sure how it all works though and whether some can skip levels and also, is it a good idea to?  

Is it a good idea?  Possibly, further down the ranks, but Ivan Putrov went straight from soloist to principal, and I don't think that really helped him, as he hadn't developed the associated partnering abilities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wholeheartedly agree that Joe Sissens will probably be the next male principal, whether that’s now or later. I also truly believe it is Melissa Hamilton’s time to step up to the plate, she is a dancer that truly excites me at every viewing.

As for the other ranks: Tsembenhoi and Pantuso have had great seasons, Masciari has star quality that will need to be unleashed sooner or later, all three are very deserving of being bumped up the ranks.

• Like 5

She was lovely as Lilac Fairy and Big Swan! 

I’m not sure but think I may have this the wrong way round …so.. are you promoted to soloist say because you are about to be given more soloist roles as you are now thought ready for it …..or …you are only promoted after you’ve done lots of soloist roles already …so almost retrospectively so to speak? 

I

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

aye, there lies the rub!

One way to ensure that all the principals get a fair chance to shine is to have fewer ballets with longer runs.  Melissa has earned her time in the sun so a promotion for her please and a shout out for Kevin he really has filled our roster with some wonderful talent. All the dancers mentioned above have shown their skills beautifully but unfortunately not all can be principals it just wouldn’t be the same without a chore.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RobR said:

Julia has danced; Myrthe, Lilac Fairy, Queen of the Dryads, Big Swan, Dancing Mistress?

And Rose Fairy 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I think his partnering skills would boost quite quickly if he gets cast in more principal roles - and if he does get made a principal at the end of this season then that must be a guarantee of most principal male roles. So it's a good thing either way I guess, even if it is a bit rushed as I think he's only been a first soloist for 1 year. I believe first soloists do get to do quite a few principal roles though, so the promotion might not be happening yet. Either way I would be very happy for him!

He will have been a first soloist for two years at the end of this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I was at his Cinderella performance (had originally booked for Sambe/Takada). I think he was good, and I also appreciated his performance opposite Calvert in Swan Lake, but he didn't really grip me with his stage presence, whereas Sambe always does. This is just a personal observation - he's obviously a great dancer. Of course, there isn't much acting or story required for the prince in Cinderella - I didn't see his Leontes, which must have given him more opportunity to get into the role.

I'd agree that Edmonds could perhaps be described as very good rather an exceptional dancer in general but to me it still feels a bit harsh to get cast in a role one run then not allowed to repeat it the next time. Also he has danced the Nutcracker Prince for several seasons now so with no Nutcracker next season he's effectively lost his one regular lead role for a season. It seems highly unlikely that he'd get cast as a Stepsister or the Jester which means all he'll get to do in Cinderella is one of the Prince's four friends. The substitution of Cinderella for the Nutcracker might be disappointing for a number of dancers at below Principal level who therefore aren't getting to dance a lead role next season, either as the SPF/Prince or Clara/Hans-Peter. I suppose some of the women will do the season fairies & some of the men the Jester but it can't be quite the same as getting to play one of the main leads.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CCL said:

Another vote here for promotion for Marianna Tsembenhoi: I’m so impressed by both her dancing and acting.

Yep, same - I loved her Clara.  I really hope she also gets to do Alice, I think she would be brilliant.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SPD444 said:

One way to ensure that all the principals get a fair chance to shine is to have fewer ballets with longer runs.

Or more ballets, with shorter runs, providing variety to suit the talents of different principals, as not all need to appear in every ballet.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd love Hamilton to be promoted but sadly after over a decade it feels like if she was going to be promoted it would have already happened some time ago. Has anyone ever been promoted after over a decade stuck at one level?

The discussion around Melissa Hamilton reminds me of the situation with Stella Abrera.  She was promoted to soloist with ABT in 2001 and finally made it to principal in 2015.  She did have injuries but the wait was uncommonly long given her unquestionable talent.

Great photo here:

https://www.instagram.com/daniil/p/4j4wnKha8x/

Shaky video here but listen to the happiness of her peers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/4j1bgGI3_B/?taken-by=juliekentofficial

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally if there is only one principal male place available I’d promote Calvin Richardson before Joe Sissens.  Calvin has a wider range with Romeo and Des Grieux recently as well as leads in McGregor.  

Another vote for Melissa Hamilton too.   She’s impressed me with all her roles in the last couple of years. 

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Admittedly, during their last season as first soloists, Clarke and Bracewell pretty much danced exclusively in principal roles (well, WB also played the lead in Giselle pa's de six) so the fact that Richardson and Sissens are getting leading roles does not necessarily imply promotion. But yeah I do believe at least one will become principal next month.

Edited by AnticaFiamma

I was wondering if only one of them is to be promoted next season if the hint is Calvin Richardson as he is cast in Alice …the opening work of next season?

8 hours ago, DD Driver said:

The discussion around Melissa Hamilton reminds me of the situation with Stella Abrera.  She was promoted to soloist with ABT in 2001 and finally made it to principal in 2015.  She did have injuries but the wait was uncommonly long given her unquestionable talent.

Great photo here:

https://www.instagram.com/daniil/p/4j4wnKha8x/

Shaky video here but listen to the happiness of her peers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/4j1bgGI3_B/?taken-by=juliekentofficial

Or Olesya Novikova at the Mariinsky, who was made a first soloist in 2008 and a principal in 2021! 

• Like 2

It seems to me to be a good thing if the company is a bit 'bulgy' in the middle ranks. I feel that the AD's aim should be to give every dancer the range of opportunities they need to rise to soloist rank during the course of their career. That keeps them developing as artists and thus gives a satisfying career even though they may not fulfil all of their ambitions in terms of starring roles.

I rather got the impression from the "spotlight on" series of interviews that 2 years in each rank was the norm for the dancers who will rise to the top. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, LACAD said:

I wholeheartedly agree that Joe Sissens will probably be the next male principal, whether that’s now or later. I also truly believe it is Melissa Hamilton’s time to step up to the plate, she is a dancer that truly excites me at every viewing.

As for the other ranks: Tsembenhoi and Pantuso have had great seasons, Masciari has star quality that will need to be unleashed sooner or later, all three are very deserving of being bumped up the ranks.

I agree wholeheartedly agree with Melissa Hamilton being promoted to principal. She has earnt it. She is a mature artist who deserves to be given more opportunities. If any younger female dancers were to be promoted to principal above her, I think this would be an injustice towards her. I can’t believe she has still been dancing one of the “Big Swans” in Swan Lake. She is too good for that role now I think.

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Even taller principals have danced Big Swans in their early principal career.  I think Nunez and Yanowsky did, albeit in the previous production, and someone else who escapes me at present.

15 hours ago, RobR said:

Julia has danced; Myrthe, Lilac Fairy, Queen of the Dryads, Big Swan, Dancing Mistress?

Aha, yes: Sleeping Beauty, Don Q and Nutcracker - all ballets I haven't got to see much of in the past couple of years.  That would explain it :)  Thanks, Rob.

• Like 1