4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Because not everyone is the same? Plenty of famous musicians (pianists particularly) have been almost recluses.

I don't think any performer owes me a social media presence. If they're contractually obliged to have one, that's another matter.

I agree no performer owes anyone a social media presence.  I’m not asking for that … just that they post details somewhere (one place will do) of future performances.  A website or one social media site is more than sufficient.  Social media can be used in different ways.  An artist can choose to post nothing except future dates and venues.  That would be hugely appreciated by their audience I’m sure. 

Many RB performers are now announcing their home base performances themselves.  Hooray! “My performance dates are xxx”.  As these get reported here, it seems even this forum of dedicated ballet fans find the information useful. It’s about taking control of your own career, your branding, and your connection with your audience. 

An artist can choose to be a recluse, but it won’t help their ability to get invitations to perform. Most musicians have managing agents precisely so they themselves can be private / recluses / whatever.  The agents advertise the upcoming shows on websites and/or social media.

The only good example that I know of for online communication of future engagements is Friedemann Vogel.

http://www.friedemannvogel.com/schedule

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of a RB Principal's post from last winter with pictures of dancing at a private event. Someone took them to task, rather vehemently, for not managing their "brand" correctly. The reply (from someone who rarely if ever replies to posts), was polite saying something about not every memorable performance was on a huge stage in front of thousands of people.

My first reaction was a) who are you? and learn some manners and b) it's their brand. How they manage it is their business, not yours (or mine or anyone else's) 

Would I like to know where else my favorites are dancing? Absolutely. But if they chose not to tell me, if they chose to keep that lower profile, that is their prerogative.  

Perhaps their privacy and security are more important than their "brand"

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 6

@oncnp agree 100% that private events are what they say on the tin. Imagine announcing one and then a load of fans arrive at the venue hoping or expecting autographs, selfies, or worse, pestering to get in. 😱

As an example of what I see:  I’m in a group on Facebook that follows Osipova.  Fans from around the world are always asking there for her forward calendar. She has none. Considering she has her own shows, as well as ROH performances, plus guesting in full lengths and galas globally, it really would be more helpful if she did manage this aspect better. Indeed that seems to be one of the reasons for the Osipova thread in this forum. Ditto Alina Cojocaru.

These fans are often countries or even continents away and want to make sure they travel to either the closest venue, or whatever fits their criteria.  Not everyone lives in a city where these dancers might perform.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FionaM said:

@oncnp agree 100% that private events are what they say on the tin. Imagine announcing one and then a load of fans arrive at the venue hoping or expecting autographs, selfies, or worse, pestering to get in. 😱

My point was not about announcing a private event, but rather someone lecturing the dancer about how to manage their career, which is their business and not anyone else's. If they want us to know, they'll tell us. 

I am one of those people who live on a different continent, work full time and have to plan well in advance. As I said, I would love to know but if they don't want to tell me they are not obliged to. 

• Like 6

On 19/09/2024 at 20:06, FionaM said:

Instagram stories also allow links which posts don’t … so one can link to articles, videos, ticket booking sites, etc.   Which can make them more desirable than posts.  Stories are as public as posts, so I don’t agree  that they shouldn’t be linked here.  

Anyone following ballet is missing out BIG TIME by NOT having an Instagram account.  You don’t need to post anything yourself, just follow many dancers and give yourself a daily treat with the richness of their sharing.  

This is how I use Instagram  - and it really works for me.  No need to post anything - just look - so much wonderful ballet.  You can of course, interact with the dancers if you wish too. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

This is how I use Instagram  - and it really works for me.  No need to post anything - just look - so much wonderful ballet.  You can of course, interact with the dancers if you wish too. 

Ditto.

• Like 5

The ROH website seems to be behaving most peculiarly with the casting for the first performance of Alice. When I looked last night there was no White Rabbit listed & the Mad Hatter had changed from Richardson to Boswell. Earlier today the Mad Hatter was back to Richardson but Dixon was listed as the White Rabbit. Right now Acri & Hay are both listed as the White Rabbits (sic)!

Alice.png

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The ROH website seems to be behaving most peculiarly with the casting for the first performance of Alice. When I looked last night there was no White Rabbit listed & the Mad Hatter had changed from Richardson to Boswell. Earlier today the Mad Hatter was back to Richardson but Dixon was listed as the White Rabbit. Right now Acri & Hay are both listed as the White Rabbits (sic)!

Alice.png

How dancers are listed right now, it seems like a super-interesting novelty cast:

Acri = White Rabbit, Hay = Queen of Hearts, Calvert = Mad Hatter

😆

Don't miss it!  It might be a one of a kind show.  LOL 🤣

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Alice.png

Haha- today's comic relief! I think it's just a[nother] typo and it's just Luca Acri as White Rabbit/Lewis Carroll, with the person typing it in confused with the evening cast, which includes Hay as WR/LC. 

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Haha- today's comic relief! I think it's just a[nother] typo and it's just Luca Acri as White Rabbit/Lewis Carroll, with the person typing it in confused with the evening cast, which includes Hay as WR/LC. 

What really gets me is that somehow either a person or something automated has realised that there are 2 dancers listed rather than the usual 1 & therefore changed "White Rabbit" to "White Rabbits" but didn't stop to think that checking that really is the correct casting might be a good idea!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

What really gets me is that somehow either a person or something automated has realised that there are 2 dancers listed rather than the usual 1 & therefore changed "White Rabbit" to "White Rabbits" but didn't stop to think that checking that really is the correct casting might be a good idea!

Alice is being rehearsed all week. Perhaps the casting info is copied from a rehearsal copy where 2 dancers took part in the same run through. That happened in a general last season when two dancers shared the role. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

Alice is being rehearsed all week. Perhaps the casting info is copied from a rehearsal copy where 2 dancers took part in the same run through. That happened in a general last season when two dancers shared the role. 

Perhaps it is. But it shouldn't be!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Sounds like it was typed by someone who has never watched a show. If they were not sure who was actually going to do the performance (eg if, hypothetically, Acri was unwell with a cold or had a small injury) they should put TBC. Or just leave the original name on and announce any replacement on the day. The person sending these out should be aware that two people don't dance a role (unless one gets injured halfway and another takes over but this should not be something they would be able to anticipate). Also it's unlikely to make the same dancer do both the matinee and evening performances. The White Rabbit is quite a tiring role. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Or read the book :)

I suspect it's linked to the typo that reduced poor Lauren Cuthbertson's period of employment from 22 years to 2 years. Or the time they made up nonsensical names on the cast list for a few of the first artists and artists..... 

On 17/09/2024 at 12:58, Silke H said:

Has it been mentioned yet in this thread that Lukas stated he’ll be the caterpillar 🐛

Lukas BB - IG

Interesting! No hint to other potential caterpillar castings I guess?

I was wondering who Marco Masciari might pop up as. I'm a bit confused as to why he wasn't cast as one of the white rabbits

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

What really gets me is that somehow either a person or something automated has realised that there are 2 dancers listed rather than the usual 1 & therefore changed "White Rabbit" to "White Rabbits"

perhaps it was the 1st of the month

• Like 1

I'm guessing Marco Masciari could be cast as one of the three gardeners painting the roses. They get solos with lots of jumps and  batterie (while panicking over the roses changjng colour!) James Hay and Valentino Zucchetti were previously gardeners too. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, solotheatregoer said:

Ah man I was hoping to catch him on 3rd Oct when I'm there.  Does anyone know who will be the caterpillar then?

Could be Lukas- you never know! The  Caterpillar/Rajah is usually not announced in advance casting. Even if he doesn't dance that role on the day you attend, Lukas will probably dance another role like one of the four Playing Card partners in the Jam Tart Adagio, or (slightly harder to spot but still possible) one of Flowers' partners in the Waltz (I've spotted Ryoichi Hirano and Alexander Campbell in that waltz before). 

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Could be Lukas- you never know! The  Caterpillar/Rajah is usually not announced in advance casting. Even if he doesn't dance that role on the day you attend, Lukas will probably dance another role like one of the four Playing Card partners in the Jam Tart Adagio, or (slightly harder to spot but still possible) one of Flowers' partners in the Waltz (I've spotted Ryoichi Hirano and Alexander Campbell in that waltz before). 

He posted on his Instagram stories that we would be dancing the caterpillar on 28th Sept and 1st, 5th, 11th, 12th, 17th and 30th Oct.  Hopefully will see him in another role on the 3rd! 

9 minutes ago, solotheatregoer said:

He posted on his Instagram stories that we would be dancing the caterpillar on 28th Sept and 1st, 5th, 11th, 12th, 17th and 30th Oct.  Hopefully will see him in another role on the 3rd! 

Ah, OK, I didn't see the stories, just a picture of him in the costume. With the supporting roles, they can change dancers around right up to the last minute if injuries or emergencies occur. You could consider going again on one of the dates he's posted, or maybe see what happens on 3 Oct? (And of course,  Lukas has ended up dancing a lead role to cover injury before- The Nutcracker.  😀

• Like 1

Just posting this here but am going to Alice matinee tomorrow and just realised the ROH haven’t emailed the ticket to me as they usually do. 
I went into my account and found the ticket so emailed it to myself ( I like them to be somewhere where I can easily find them) but as tomorrow  is the first day of the new season have the ROH stopped emailing tickets now or have others received theres as usual ( it’s usually been 5-7 days before the performance) 

Posting here as can’t find an Alice thread. 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Just posting this here but am going to Alice matinee tomorrow and just realised the ROH haven’t emailed the ticket to me as they usually do. 
I went into my account and found the ticket so emailed it to myself ( I like them to be somewhere where I can easily find them) but as tomorrow  is the first day of the new season have the ROH stopped emailing tickets now or have others received theres as usual ( it’s usually been 5-7 days before the performance) 

Posting here as can’t find an Alice thread. 

Mine was emailed to me 4 days ago.

• Thanks 1