5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks very much for this but just note it’s THURSDAY 14th November not Tuesday. Tuesday is 19th November. 

The ROH proof readers  strike again

• Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SO annoyed that they somehow couldn’t manage this before Tuesday (being the lowest level Friends booking date). What is the point? As it is, because I used Maddaddam as part of the stalls multiple buy discount, I’ll have to call up and see if I can move the dates. I want to see Sambe over Sissens for sure 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I am SO annoyed that they somehow couldn’t manage this before Tuesday (being the lowest level Friends booking date). What is the point? As it is, because I used Maddaddam as part of the stalls multiple buy discount, I’ll have to call up and see if I can move the dates. I want to see Sambe over Sissens for sure 

Does this mean that if you buy the multiple stalls discount, the option does not exist to exchange it online, without having to talk to the box office staff over the phone?   

Sorry but I'm confused!   Since the price is already discounted, when you exchange you would only be getting a credit for the discounted amount you paid, not the full price ticket, so to me it seems you ought to be able to exchange it online?   Unless only some Maddaddam shows are eligible for the discount and not others?

Edited by myrtle
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, myrtle said:

Does this mean that if you buy the multiple stalls discount, the option does not exist to exchange it online, without having to talk to the box office staff over the phone?   

Sorry but I'm confused!   Since the price is already discounted, when you exchange you would only be getting a credit for the discounted amount you paid, not the full price ticket, so to me it seems you ought to be able to exchange it online?   Unless only some Maddaddam shows are eligible for the discount and not others?

Well there isn’t an exchange option that I can see on the website, only “return”.

I’m assuming they will have protections around returns for the stalls multibuy discount, otherwise it would be very easy to abuse. Say for example I only want to sit in stalls for La Traviata. But in order to access the 15% discount, I also book stalls for Maddaddam and Cinderella to get the 15% discount on La Traviata, and then return the other two tickets.

But maybe that’s giving the ROH administration too much credit… 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

Well there isn’t an exchange option that I can see on the website, only “return”.

I’m assuming they will have protections around returns for the stalls multibuy discount, otherwise it would be very easy to abuse. Say for example I only want to sit in stalls for La Traviata. But in order to access the 15% discount, I also book stalls for Maddaddam and Cinderella to get the 15% discount on La Traviata, and then return the other two tickets.

But maybe that’s giving the ROH administration too much credit… 

Ah, I see.   Thank you.   Because they want to make sure you are actually paying for 3 stalls tickets in the same 'block'.    Because at the time you bought the initial 'bundle of 3 stalls' you can only buy autumn tickets.    You can't spread it out to include Winter or Spring.    

I am also confused about which of the announced ballets are in the Autumn, Winter, Spring blocks!     It's probably safer to break it up by dates--because after all someone here made the witty comment that it felt like Swan Lake has been on for a decade of something like that?    So Swan Lake was spread across multiple blocks! 

Please, kindly educate me about which 'booking block' Onegin and Romeo and Juliet will fall into?    It's mildly pertinent to this topic--because RBO wanting the trio of stalls purchases to be in the autumn block is the reason they won't let MildConcern exchange without the staff having some oversight, presumably?    Nor do they want you to spend your credit on a much more affordable, non-stalls seat, even if it's still in the autumn block.

By the way MildConcern thank you for enlightening me as to the possibilities of potential abuse.    It seems to me they may, with an additional layer of IT management, make those 3-for credits only good til the end of the autumn season, and only good for another 'eligible show' stalls seat.  But yes, this complicates the returns process considerably.   

Very grateful to all the knowledgeable people here.   

Edited by myrtle

1 hour ago, myrtle said:

You can't exchange tickets online or by phone. You can get a credit and then rebook, but ROH makes it clear that you get the refund for the price you paid and will not get a discount if you book a single ticket again - it's only if you book three eligible performances that the discount applies to.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, myrtle said:

Please kindly educate me about which 'booking block' Onegin and Romeo and Juliet will fall into?    It's mildly pertinent to this topic--because RBO wanting the trio of stalls purchases to be in the autumn block is the reason they won't let MildConcern exchange without the staff having some oversight, presumably?

Onegin - Winter and Summer (split run) 

R&J - Spring 

If you apply the filters in the "What's On" page you can see which performaces are in which season

Edited by oncnp
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

You can't exchange tickets online or by phone. You can get a credit and then rebook, but ROH makes it clear that you get the refund for the price you paid and will not get a discount if you book a single ticket again - it's only if you book three eligible performances that the discount applies to.

But it sounds like you cannot even get a credit?   Because MildConcern described how just getting a credit would still mean you are taking advantage of it to (after 2 returns for credit for future purchases) pay only for 1 ticket but get the 15% discounted ticket?

Edited by myrtle

Just now, myrtle said:

But it sounds like you cannot even get a credit?   Because MildConcern described how just getting a credit would still mean you are taking advantage of it to (after 2 returns) pay only for 1 ticket but get the 15% discounted ticket?

If you return a ticket more than 24 hours before a performance, you get a credit. To get a 15% discount, you have to buy three qualifying tickets in any one booking period. If you return a ticket that was discounted, you get that money, minus £4 back. If you wanted to book for another performance of the ballet you returned the ticket for, you pay full price. If you wanted to buy three tickets and cancel two, you could get the 15% discount, but you still get a credit on your account which you can only spend of tickets or vouchers or one other thing that I can't remember. So, ROH wins no matter what, as you can't have a direct refund.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

Onegin - Winter and Summer (split run) 

R&J - Spring 

If you apply the filters in the "What's On" page you can see which performaces are in which season

Thank you very much!  

10 hours ago, MildConcern said:

Are you able (time wise and funds wise) to see both casts, @MildConcern? Also....don't forget there might be replacements and cast changes nearer the time of the performances - just something to bear in mind when casting is announced in advance. 

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Are you able (time wise and funds wise) to see both casts, @MildConcern? Also....don't forget there might be replacements and cast changes nearer the time of the performances - just something to bear in mind when casting is announced in advance. 

If it transpires to be very good, then I might just see both casts!

But I am currently leaning towards the Sambe cast as also excited to see Pantuso and Lench in more featured roles…

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I’m hoping to book for the 14th and if then any good will see the other cast! 

I’ve booked for the 14th and if I like it, will book to see the second cast too. I’m keeping an open mind about it. 

• Like 1

My priority of booking order on the 10th …Will be Cesars and Ella’s Alice on 31st October, Cesar and Francesca’s Cinderella 17 th December and then the Maddaddam piece on 14th ….unless I can see any of above are looking rather booked out!! 
If get the 14th Linnzi5 perhaps we can say hello finally!! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alison said:

I don't know - I think Sissens is more suited to McGregor than Sambe?

Yes, he's more bendy and was fantastic in The Dante Project, but I like Marcelino Sambe but never seem to see him, I've also booked Alice mainly because of him🙂

• Like 1

Calvin Richardson was also fabulous as the instrument in The Cellist, and he has a very different physicality to Marcelino.  The role is more about expressing empathy through movement quality, which they both excel in 👏

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Will casting be announced for Encounters or is it likely to stay as 'Artists of the Royal Ballet'?  I don't know much about this but I may be in London for work when this is on and wondering whether to extend my stay and book for this. 

Edited by solotheatregoer
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, solotheatregoer said:

Will casting be announced for Encounters or is it likely to stay as 'Artists of the Royal Ballet'?  I don't know much about this but I may be in London for work when this is on and wondering whether to extend my stay and book for this. 

They will usually announce casting for the ballets that are not new (ie The Weathering and The Statement) once the stagers and/or choreographer have been able to see the dancers available to perform- usually it's announced by 3-5 weeks before the first performance.

With premieres (ie the Toonga and Tanowitz works) they usually announce the dancers in the lead roles by the time it's one or two weeks before the premiere; if it’s a large group work without obvious lead roles (eg  Untouchable by Hofesh Shechter or Toonga's previous piece called See Us!) the casting will be listed as "The Company" or "Artists of the Royal Ballet". 

There are a few clips posted by the company on their YouTube channel of The Weathering (in rehearsal) and The Statement (in performance as well as an Insight Evening). The Weathering does look much better in performance than in rehearsal pictures or clips- beautiful neoclassical solos for both the men and the women. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Not casting but... can anyone remember how long Cinderella ran for last time? My cast sheets say 2h 55m but the page for this season says 2h 45m. Did it run short?

What date was your cast sheet? The old cast sheets on the website also say 2:45 although the Friend's Rehearsal was 10 minutes longer (5 minutes extra on each interval)

Cinderella | Cast List | 03.05.2023 7:30 PM (rbo.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Four cast sheets between 14th and 16th April. Perhaps the timings had settled down by May!

Must have been fixed retrospectively on the web side then.  All listed, even opening night, as 2:45.

I would guess same length (whatever it is) this time around 

On 12/07/2024 at 23:28, solotheatregoer said:

The casting has been announced for all four ballets in Encounters- it's actually in the RB Winter Casting thread, if you haven't seen it yet. Look in RobS's comment and click on the link. 

• Like 1