RBS Junior Associates 2024

LVC

Hello. I was just wondering if anybody can share any information on the JA audition. We have purchased the insight classes online but just wondered if anybody had any other tips please. Many thanks. 

Edited by LVC

• LVC changed the title to Royal Ballet Junior associate audition
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter has her audition in May but is really nervous due to getting a no from Northern Ballet and her confidence being knocked. She got a recall after first set of auditions but wasn’t chosen ultimately and whilst she is usually a very resilient child, it has hit her a bit harder than expected. (I think because a close friend of hers got in and they got excited at the prospect of going together) Does the fact that the Northern ballet said no pretty much guarantee the RBS will too? I know there is no way of definitely knowing but I know RBS is the hardest to get into.  

Hello. I know two people who got a no from elmhurst young dancers and a yes to royal ballet associates so you never know! Also we got a no in year 3 for JAs, but got in in year 6 off the swl and then offered mids for year 7....so just because its a no it doesn't mean it will always be a no. My dd was upset but it made her more determined to try again. Xxx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancing_Mae said:

My daughter has her audition in May but is really nervous due to getting a no from Northern Ballet and her confidence being knocked. She got a recall after first set of auditions but wasn’t chosen ultimately and whilst she is usually a very resilient child, it has hit her a bit harder than expected. (I think because a close friend of hers got in and they got excited at the prospect of going together) Does the fact that the Northern ballet said no pretty much guarantee the RBS will too? I know there is no way of definitely knowing but I know RBS is the hardest to get into.  

It certainly doesn't mean that your daughter doesn't have a good chance of getting into RBS but a lot of this is down to confidence and physique. It all depends who's there on the day and can come down to minute details. If it's a no, then it doesn't mean much at all, just that somebody else had 1mm more in something. It's tricky for young students to understand that, I know.

When a child is super confident then they tend to show themselves off and their work to their best. Let your daughter know that she doesn't need a school to tell her how lovely she is and to go in and show her self in her very best light. Have lots of fun, listen carefully to the teacher and music, lots of smiles and enthusiasm,  

stand tall, eyes up and have lots of fun being a jellyfish or whatever it is this year. Everyone seems to enjoy the audition a lot! Making sure your daughter knows she'll find joy in dancing whether she gets a place or not is key.

Because that's the truth - JA's is not everyone's taste and it lasts just a few years.

My daughter got a straight No from her first associate audition ( not RBS) she was very disappointed but later went on to become a RBS full time student. For better or worse . It's all swings and roundabouts. Good Luck 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We attended the Leeds audition yesterday, our first experience of JAs. My daughter seemed to enjoy it and didn’t appear nervous and seemed confident about the experience. She did however let slip after that she pulled her ballet sock up during the class and was told not to, surely she wouldn’t be struck off for that?! I was surprised at how very similar everyone appeared, she didn’t stand out as under experienced in any way when they were all waiting. There was also a couple wearing tights, bright pink socks, fashion leotards - I’m presuming they look past all that for whatever they are looking for? Just wanting to admonish myself of any mum guilt!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthernDanceMum said:

We attended the Leeds audition yesterday, our first experience of JAs. My daughter seemed to enjoy it and didn’t appear nervous and seemed confident about the experience. She did however let slip after that she pulled her ballet sock up during the class and was told not to, surely she wouldn’t be struck off for that?! I was surprised at how very similar everyone appeared, she didn’t stand out as under experienced in any way when they were all waiting. There was also a couple wearing tights, bright pink socks, fashion leotards - I’m presuming they look past all that for whatever they are looking for? Just wanting to admonish myself of any mum guilt!!

Don't worry yourself!

It sounds like she had a fabulous time and danced beautifully.

They are only little so they are not going to exclude your daughter for pulling her sock up!

If you've got the potential they are looking for ( not every school looks for the same things!) you can turn up in a bin bag and be accepted. Professionals can spot potential a mile away no matter what you're wearing.

Having said that it is preferable wearing something very plain in a colour that suits you if you can - don't want anyone thinking they should actually wear a bin bag haha.

It may simply have been a comment meant to reassure your dd that it didn't matter if her sock slipped down a bit, rather than a telling off.  A common occurrence in ordinary class is for a child to become worried about the draw strings on their shoes when sitting down for point & flex and start fiddling with them! I second all the above posts, a simple plain leotard without criss cross straps or insert panels is best. At insight days they say a colour is good to help identification, and try to have photos taken in the sames leotard.

• Like 1

@NorthernDanceMum I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s kids who go with Lacey leotards, flowers in there hair etc even though your not supposed to. My daughter’s friend auditioned last year and wore a leotard which was Lacey and they weren’t supposed to wear and got in. So they definitely over look things like that. Everyone looks for different things, but iv been told they are looking at body measurements, musicality and turnout. Some kids maybe amazing dancers but not meet something else they are looking for. Theres no way of really knowing and all your child can do is try their best and if they don’t get in try again the year after. My daughter got a no last year and got to the final round at Northern ballet. I sometimes wonder if maybe she’s too short, as she’s very small for her age x

@LVC My daughter said it was leaps, ballet positions, straddle and they were told to move their arms like a tree in the wind. I’m guessing they are looking at their flexibility, musicality, turn out and measurements. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you @Dancing_Mae I hope your daughter had fun. What were the majority wearing tights or socks or was it a mixture? Thank you for your reply 

Edited by LVC

@LVC She loved it! She was less nervous this time because she knew what to expect. Even though it’s an audition it’s made to feel like a ‘normal’ ballet class for them and most children came out smiling and positive. Majority wore socks including my daughter, but there were some in tights. 

• Thanks 1

I am not sure whether it has changed, however when my daughter auditioned for JAs (about 3/4 years ago now), they asked for all children to wear socks. They asked them to remove their socks and shoes in the class as they liked to look at feet. 

Sorry to ask something a bit off topic . 

those 2 companies renting the same venue in twickenham Rambert : cecchetti & ballet boost 

But which one to choose ? Anyone have some insight ? Super grateful 

I am planning for backup if got a no from RBJA. 

Posted (edited)

My daughter does Ballet Boost in Manchester. She did it in their junior class which she was valuable as she was quite inexperienced and had moved schools but now she is mid and has not enjoyed this year. Whatever the outcome for JAs we will be leaving Ballet Boost as I feel she is best investing her time and my money in something she enjoys. 

Edited by Jellybean

10 hours ago, Jellybean said:

My daughter does Ballet Boost in Manchester. She did it in their junior class which she was valuable as she was quite inexperienced and had moved schools but now she is mid and has not enjoyed this year. Whatever the outcome for JAs we will be leaving Ballet Boost as I feel she is best investing her time and my money in something she enjoys. 

Yes very important to enjoy  classes. 

Thank you for your insight . 
we have a boy . 
So far they ask for video audition …. Which I am not quite used to it.. I think I d rather a real life audition …..

has anyone felt the % admission into RBJS for boys and girls are any different 

thanks  

I'd say the % was the same, I had friends of very talented boys who were not accepted to RBS for the first or second year but were for yr5 for one and yr6 for the other. It seems they don't just take any boys they can get.

13 hours ago, dance5678 said:

I'd say the % was the same, I had friends of very talented boys who were not accepted to RBS for the first or second year but were for yr5 for one and yr6 for the other. It seems they don't just take any boys they can get.

We've had plenty of rejections when younger - my son didn't meet the body shape requirements pre-adolescence, which seems to me to be the primary basis for selection for RBS.