2024 NBS manchester audition / accommodation 2024

Just to reassure you, it's SUPER easy to pop between the flats and visit each other... even between the properties as they are SO close. Also, things do change... one person dropped out just before they started in my DS's first year so they had a space in their flat. It was never filled but it could have easily been if another under 18 yr old or NBS student had been out on a limb. Xx

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, The Graceless One said:

Are there any parents on here whose dc is doing the ballet course please? 

Mine is! Second year CF... happy to answer any questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2024 at 07:30, jenalexandra78 said:

Hello , 

So just few quick asks as couldn't see a 2024 link...

Dd is 3 auditions in with 3 offers on table,  in limbo due to funding news dadas. As need this to commit to one.

Currently have offers from : the hammond diploma l6 dance, NDC (nadeines dance company hartlepool) b tech course and just this Saturday a offer from NBS for diploma l6 dance. 

We are aware we can't fully choose till dada info (fingers crossed).

Just wondered re accomidation. 

Hammond is now at tramways... so going to book n am I am lead to understand if no funding / doesn't go we won't be liable to contact. Should get 250 deposit back. 

NBS - again similar situation I just wondered if any 16 year old due to start potentially here , or 17, 18 year olds who are looking at accomidation. I think new medlock, dwell and artesian had spaces.  But would like to try n get it with other potential new starters for here. 

She will go where gives funding but I don't want to get funding late and have no accommodation booked with her being younger end.

She has also done the video audition for italia conti and we are doing an in person audition at stella man in 2 weeks.

But with the 3 we have we are so happy so far. 

The btec is obs free but again she would have to stay there as we live in area with no colleges like this near by. But is our fail safe option.  Good college though for anyone in North East.  Audition standard was high with my dd saying the jazz tech was harder than hammond audition. 

It's such a long process and I'm such a planner it's hard to switch off. 

Waffled a bit there .... xxx

My daughter is going to go to NBS in September and would love to know that she will be with other students speaking to new medlock 

4 hours ago, Moondancer said:

My daughter is going to go to NBS in September and would love to know that she will be with other students speaking to new medlock 

When my daughter started at NBS, they all seemed to find each other on social media!. Not sure if one of the students for this Septembers intake is happy to pass on details to  parents here in the forum. I had a few moms message me, to pass on details to my daughter, whose dd & ds wanted to be added to an NBS insta group which they formed for their year, they got to 'know' each other before they even reached NBS. It's maybe an idea? 

Mj

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2024 at 21:23, Sunflower said:

I’ve had an abrupt email from an anonymous person at New Medlock to say “all” NBS accommodation is booked and my only option is to booked my then just 16 year old into a shared 18+ flat with students from other Universities.

Urm, no. That won’t be happening 🙈

it seems really a bit strange that NBS won’t/don’t have a more formal agreement with one of the private halls.

This is my youngest child so I’m very used to Uni and private accommodation 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have had exactly the same email which they say if my daughter knows somebody else they will try to put her with them. Have you managed to sort anything? My daughter is in the same position and would love to find someone that she knows she can be with from NBS. She is also 16 and does not want to be with uni students. Perhaps if you are not sorted yet we could try and find a few people and all request to be in the same flat. 

On 16/04/2024 at 17:13, jenalexandra78 said:

Just spoken / email chatted re accommodation. New medlock.

No flats free with others at mo. 

But they have offered a first floor flat 8 rooms 2 bathrooms. If I book it will be closed of to over 21 and recommended to others to try and build up nbs. But not guaranteed. 

Is anyone looking to book as my dd 16 is going to be first one in it if I book. Obs a risk but hopefully might be others yet to sort??? Fingers 🤞 

My dd is also 16 and looking for places at new Medlock. I have been told if we know a name to request to be with they will try to put her with them as she really doesn’t want to be with uni students. It would be great to be in contact. I will message you now with my phone number. 

Edited by Moondancer

6 minutes ago, Moondancer said:

I have had exactly the same email which they say if my daughter knows somebody else they will try to put her with them. Have you managed to sort anything? My daughter is in the same position and would love to find someone that she knows she can be with from NBS. She is also 16 and does not want to be with uni students. Perhaps if you are not sorted yet we could try and find a few people and all request to be in the same flat. 

My daughter starts in September we managed to get her into a 2 bedroom flat and another NBS student is now booked in the other room. We were originally worried about a uni student going in the other room but we spoke directly to new medlock house on the phone and they reassured us that once all the uni bookings were in if it was a uni student they can juggle peoples rooms around so hopefully if there are other NBS students in the same situation as you they might be able to put them altogether. 

3 minutes ago, La sylphide said:

My daughter starts in September we managed to get her into a 2 bedroom flat and another NBS student is now booked in the other room. We were originally worried about a uni student going in the other room but we spoke directly to new medlock house on the phone and they reassured us that once all the uni bookings were in if it was a uni student they can juggle peoples rooms around so hopefully if there are other NBS students in the same situation as you they might be able to put them altogether. 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help. Also my dd doesn’t know anybody so it would be lovely if we could put the girls in contact somehow? 

1 minute ago, Moondancer said:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help. Also my dd doesn’t know anybody so it would be lovely if we could put the girls in contact somehow? 

I’ll message you her Instagram x

NBS themselves set up a Facebook group for the year group the summer before my daughter started - I think it was used a lot for passing on information. I think she also did the summer school that year too and so got to meet a few other new starters. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NEC1 said:

NBS themselves set up a Facebook group for the year group the summer before my daughter started - I think it was used a lot for passing on information. I think she also did the summer school that year too and so got to meet a few other new starters. 

Many thanks for this 

48 minutes ago, NEC1 said:

This happened for my daughter's year group too. Usually when everyone has accepted offers & Dada's have been given & accepted. 

Mj

• Like 1

I've just had a conversation with my daughter & apparently NBS teachers do not do this any more. Safeguarding, personal accounts etc etc ? So I think going down the route of connecting future students through insta with info from parents in here is the way to go. The students do have their Facebook group but organised by the students so I'm sure once they arrive in Sept they can all be connected that way. It's actually being used at the moment for organising the Graduation Party !! 😁

Mj

• Like 1

I have called today and booked my daughter in to new Medlock. In an 8 bedroomed flat. She is currently the first in the flat and they hope to fill it with NBS students. If you are booking New Medlock and would like a name to request to share with of someone who will also be at NBS please message me directly. 

9 hours ago, Moondancer said:

I have called today and booked my daughter in to new Medlock. In an 8 bedroomed flat. She is currently the first in the flat and they hope to fill it with NBS students. If you are booking New Medlock and would like a name to request to share with of someone who will also be at NBS please message me directly. 

Just in florida at mo at dance worlds.... pm you. Will be sorting once back xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, trying to find accommodation for my daughter starting in September 24 with NBS. Does anyone know what the accommodation is like at Dwells

and if there is many NBS students that stay there? New Medlock and Parkway is full, do you know if there is any other accommodation available.

3 hours ago, Dance01 said:

Hi, trying to find accommodation for my daughter starting in September 24 with NBS. Does anyone know what the accommodation is like at Dwells

and if there is many NBS students that stay there? New Medlock and Parkway is full, do you know if there is any other accommodation available.

Hi

rooms have been dropping back on as available at new medlock over the last couple of months. It was sold out when we were first looking but then one suddenly came up as available. So could be worth keeping an eye on there. Dwell only takes over 18s there’s some current NBS parents on here that are really helpful. One of them will hopefully be able to advise you on dwell. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dance01 said:

I think several of the current 2nd years will be at Dwell next year (MSV not MSV South which is down by Rusholme so a bus journey away). As far as I can tell, the rooms are fine. Not as nice as Parkway Gate or New Medlock but the enormous increase in accommodation fees priced us out of them for next year!! MSV is literally a couple of minutes walk away from New Medlock/Parkway Gate so it’s easy for the students to get together wherever they’re staying. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dance01 said:

From what I understand, almost all of the current second years are due to be in Dwell MSV next year... apart from about 3 so there will definitely be plenty of other NBS students there! 

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

My DD has been in MSV Dwell ( over the road from Medlock & Parkway ) for all of her 3 years at NBS. Her first flat was non en suite & was an older room. Her 2nd flat ( which she has stayed in for the last 2 years ) is en suite & has been modernised. Both have been perfectly adequate, she's had no problem in MSV.

As others have said they are all practically on the door step of the Dance House.

Some of the flats in dwell only have a shared kitchen with bar stools so no small seating area. My daughter usually eats in her room anyway even though they do have a table & chairs n small 2 seater modular sofa & TV.

Mj 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dance01 said:

Hi, The accommodation in Dwells is also quite expensive, does anyone know of accommodation that is cheaper and is within 1 hour travel time to NBS?

I think the cost of renting anything in Manchester has risen dramatically over the last year or so! There are student halls in the Rusholme/Fallowfield area but I don’t know how much is private halls or uni owned. It would be a bit of a walk but is well served by buses that stop right outside the Dancehouse. A cheaper option is a room in a student house but you run the risk of noise/parties during the week which might be a bit much! The NBS students are generally in school around 8.30 so you might want to factor that in to travel time (if living out of Manchester, perfectly doable as long as the trains are playing ball!!). 

• Thanks 1

I second how much rents have increased! I think MSV is probably one of the ' cheaper' options!. I would also consider travel times as has already been mentioned & again the reliability of public transport. Most morning students are in from 8-30 ( warm up before lessons start ) & can also go on till late especially when shows are getting closer ( 3 per year ). They have a full on day everyday so the extra travel will only add to tiredness.

Mj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, The accommodation in Dwells is also quite expensive, does anyone know of accommodation that is cheaper and is within 1 hour travel time to NBS?

Thanks for the information, looks like MSV might be the best option

52 minutes ago, Dance01 said:

Thanks for the information, does classes start at 8.30 for the Graduate Program?

There isn't a Graduate Programme at NBS... did you mean the one with Northern Ballet Company by any chance? They are based in Leeds (whereas NBS is based in Manchester and their course is a level 6 Dance Diploma) 

Just booked dd into new medlock.

It shows full on unite but emailing there is now 3/4 NBS  in 8 room flat think it ground floor. Block c . 

So if looking actually email them there are 5 other rooms in this flat. 

Got email with the fb group so telling my daughter to do that. 

Is anyone doing the summer school. 

Dates were quite early I think so I need to check against gcse. 

Next step complete dada paper work - x

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to not respond again about accommodation. After some really tough decisions, DD has accepted Central so I have emailed NBS to decline her place.

The New Medlock people still haven’t contacted me again though after promising we were on the waiting list 🤷🏻‍♀️ So I think continually contacting them is the only way to stay on their radar!

Also agree with Manchester price rises, it’s not much different to central London prices now 🤨

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter is just about to finish her three years at NBS and at New Medlock, so I'm happy to answer any questions people may have. This forum and the people who had been through a similar journey were invaluable to me, in the first year especially.

• Like 1