Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering whether Anna Rose O'Sullivan might get Claire Calvert's shows since AROS missed out on her own scheduled ones due to injury but appears to be back in great form.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Has she been understudy this run? 

I don’t know about this run but she was in the last one iirc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, San Perregrino said:

I’m thinking perhaps Mariko Sasaki will get another bite of the cherry.

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Me too. Although I would like to see Melissa Hamilton have a go.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Just had the ROH cast change email, Akane Takada is replaced by Mariko Sasaki

Sadly, no surprise there.  I do hope that Akane can come back next season fully recovered.

• Like 6

How sad. I feel like there's been quite a few performances the last few years where I booked for Takada and she ended up getting replaced - I miss seeing her! I did think when I booked for Takada / Sissens that it might end up being Sasaki / Sissens instead. A silver lining for me, since I wanted to see their public debut and couldn't do that date.

No indication of who's replacing Calvert, yet?

Looks as though my attempts to avoid jinxing Takada by not buying a ticket have failed, then :( 

Just now, alison said:

No indication of who's replacing Calvert, yet?

Looks as though my attempts to avoid jinxing Takada by not buying a ticket have failed, then :( 

Was just thinking this too. Disappointed not to see her and wondering if they are taking their time so as not to compromise Edmonds’ appearance. 

• Like 1

Really hoping that Akane can be fully recovered for next season. 
It’s a good decision if her injury recovery still isn’t at least 99 per cent that she leaves the Swan Lake as Odette/Odile role makes so much demand on the feet and body. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

Melissa will replace Natalia…

I inferred from the Instagram post that Melissa is one of the two “Big Swans” in Natalia’s cast, rather than replacing her?

2 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

Vadim and Fumi will dance on 17th!

Hurrah! I may have to cancel my holiday just to go and see them again 🤣

Joking aside, I really hope Nicol at least gets to do the second show with a different partner - it must be disappointing for him!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Oh dear. That’s a bit disappointing. I had hoped Nicol Edmonds would have been given another partner so that he could build on his debut last time. 

Vadim said one more performance so Nicol might dance the other one…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Oh dear. That’s a bit disappointing. I had hoped Nicol Edmonds would have been given another partner so that he could build on his debut last time. 

Maybe he just needs more time with that new partner? No replacement for the 27th yet. Kaneko is scheduled to be in Rome that night.

• Thanks 2

Website still says Calvert/Edmonds and I haven't received a cast change email yet. Really, out of respect to all concerned, I think the new cast should be announced by the ROH before being made known on social media. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Website still says Calvert/Edmonds and I haven't received a cast change email yet. Really, out of respect to all concerned, I think the new cast should be announced by the ROH before being made known on social media. 

Agree - but the ROH could have changed the casting to TBD on 2 June when Calvert announced also on social media that she was withdrawing. Given the efficiency of the ROH web team Muntigirov may have thought it had been done. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

Agree - but the ROH could have changed the casting to TBD on 2 June when Calvert announced also on social media that she was withdrawing. Given the efficiency of the ROH web team Muntigirov may have thought it had been done. 

Yes, I'm sure that's true. And I agree about the website - it shouldn't have been showing Calvert when they've known for quite a long time that she isn't going to be dancing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

There aren’t many who would describe an extra Fumi and Vadim Swan Lake as “a bit disappointing” 😂 - although I do take the point that it is very much so for Nicol. Vadim and Fumi will both be in Rome dancing Swan Lake there on the 27th, so perhaps it is as has been suggested, to give Nicol time to rehearse with a new partner for the 27th. I do hope so for his sake.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I think it’s best people know as soon as possible so they can either get a ticket for the new cast, or return theirs.  And given how inefficiently the website is run, we can’t exactly rely on it for up to date information even though that’s the point of it.

• Like 10

As we all know there are many wonderful ballerinas at The Royal Ballet but Akané Takada has a very special quality of movement, musicality and "phrasé"; we hope she will be able to come back next season, such a long absence !

• Like 9