Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

6 minutes ago, Silke H said:

It indeed felt like that @Jan McNulty which is why I specified the ballet.  Strangely, in my 5 years living in NYC I also never caught Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream there, NYCB might do the same.

They do :)

• Thanks 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, joe blitz said:

Some companies , like the Bolshoi,  have curtain calls after each act.

I don't/wouldn't like that at all - it breaks the flow and unity of the work as a whole by implying that at the end of an act that part of the performance is over.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

"If you slip, it hurts your soul".  Powerful emotions.

I have an old book on ballet where Britt Tajet Foxell is listed as a co-author alongside the main author who wrote about steps and technique, while Tajet Foxell was still a physiotherapist working with RB and RBS. Lots of good advice in that book, and physios' work often has some overlap with a psychologist's role as they often see dancers and other people when they are injured and depressed or upset as a result of that injury. Great choice of topic and Naghdi is an insightful interviewee. 

Small quibble about the otherwise excellent article is that - very unusual for the normally meticulous Guardian- the author/editor/both have not checked to see when Naghdi is next on stage. They would usually have informed readers that Naghdi is dancing Titania on the evenings of 19, 21 and 22 June [ since there are still tickets available, especially for the weekend, and I'm sure many readers would consider going after reading the article and accompanying comments]. 

• Like 3

It's feeling like only real life couples are available for end of season SL replacements! I feel sorry for Edmonds losing both his performances & can't understand why they couldn't find another partner for him considering Calvert posted at the start of the month that she was injured. Surely that should have given enough time for sufficient rehearsing, given dancers quite often have to change partners at short notice?

I am tempted to try to get a ticket for Magri/Ball, as I like them as a pairing & don't get to see them together that often, but I was already planning to try to see Osipova/Clarke the following evening. Who to choose....

ETA Sorry, @MildConcern, our posts just crossed. I wrote mine 10 mins ago but had to wait for my Wifi to reappear as it keeps on dropping out today.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

I very much enjoyed last night. Natalia and Reece were spectacular, all the corps very on form as usual (I congratulate them all after so many Swan Lakes this season). Melissa Hamilton and Annette Buvoli were lovely as usual as the Two Swans. 

Also - a very good Benno performance from Téo Dubreuil, I don't think I've seen him do it before. 

My last performance of this RB season, very glad I attended! (Looking forward to Acosta's Carmen at Sadler's Wells in July!)

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 7

Hi all, my first post here after lurking for some time. Finally bit the bullet and joined after being inspired by a few familiar names over on theatreboard 🙂

Reece and Natalia were absolutely incredible on Thursday night. Technically, they really are in a different league. Although, I still think I preferred the Bracewell / Kaneko performance. They seemed to have more chemistry. 

It was also nice to see Teo Dubreuil as Benno after watching his Insights rehearsal. He had barely started rehearsals when that aired but you can tell he’s come a long way and gave a very solid performance. 

I’m still new to the world of ballet and I have to say that Leo Dixon is quickly becoming a firm favourite of mine. I was lucky enough to catch his Benno in April and it was great to see him on Thursday as one of the Spanish dancers. He’s got such incredible stage presence that it’s hard to take your eyes off him, even in smaller roles. Hope to see him in principal roles in future. 

Edited by solotheatregoer
  • Like 21

Me too I attended last Thursday performance, which was emotionally extremely intense. I have seen Natalia Osipova as Odette/ Odile every time she has been performing it at the Royal Ballet, and each time it has been a shock. Her interpretation evolves continuously, she always tries to go further into subtle details. Last Thursday I found her Act I absolutely magnetic in its sacrificial dimension. Since the Adage, we immediately understood her Odette was going to sacrifice herself for the other swans and that was deeply moving (lots of red eyes in my orchestra row…).

Her partnership with Reece Clarke worked very well as usual, him being a wonderful, charismatic Prince, full of elegance, spleen and musicality. I have also been amazed by the movements of his arms in his Act III Pas de Deux variation, which were illustrating the counterpoint of the orchestra score (simultaneously to impressive jumps). I am definitely a great fan of this artist!

Once again, I found the production excellent, particularly successful in its painting of a rigid society, from which only Benno emerges as a healthy person. As such, Gary Avis' Rothbart in the “Palace scenes” was truly terrifying, I loved it!

The corps de ballet was luxury (I should say, “as usual”). The Act I Waltz was just amazing, with dancers like Benjamin Ella, Luca Acri, Valentino Zucchetti… No company in the World would ever have casted such brilliant artists in an ensemble like this, and the impact was just unmatchable. Same for the perfectly synchronized cygnets, the shining Melissa Hamilton and Annette Buvoli…

This was my last ballet for the season and it was a very good way to close the season.

Edited by Paco
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, Silke H said:

Cast List 25 June 2024

I'm disappointed that we don't get Lukas Brændsrød again as von Rothbart

Haha, Silke, I was looking at the casting for that reason too! He is dancing in the Waltz and Polonaise, if that helps! (One day he'll be dancing Siegfried, I'm sure of it.)  Lots of senior dancers in the supporting cast tonight- luxury casting! Looking forward to reports/photos from members who attended. 

Edited by Emeralds

Thank you for everyone's discussion above of the BRB orchestra filling in... I'm not someone who usually hears orchestra mistakes, but couldn't figure out why the music / tempi / coordination between conductor, musicians and orchestra sounded so messy? under-rehearsed? yesterday after several months of Swan Lakes!

I enjoyed yesterday's performance. I thought Sasaki made a very elegant Odette in particular, and Sissens' leaps were spectacular, even if in the acting he sometimes seemed a little inexperienced to me. Leticia Dias and Sae Maeda were unsuprisingly lovely and very synchronised as the sisters. In the smaller roles, I noticed Bomin Kim (Neapolitan dance and Act 1 waltz - she was also a cygnet apparently but I can never tell dancers apart in that). Love how Joonhyuk Jun just spends an extra second in the air whatever he does. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

There now appears to be a different cast change for tomorrow. Have they completely run out of Odettes & Siegfrieds if Sasaki & Sissens are now going to dance twice in 3 days?

Swan-Lake.png

One spare set is dancing Swan lake in Rome and the others might be getting ready for Jacob's Pillow

• Like 1

Email now arrived as well, which says cast change due to injury. Whether that's Calvert's original injury or Magri's injury that took her out of Five Brahms Waltzes last Friday is unclear. At least they've told us in time for ticket returns. I will now not be seeing SL 2 days in a row!

Is Naghdi one of the dancers guesting in America? Because I was rather expecting her to replace Magri if the latter is indeed the one who is injured.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Email now arrived as well, which says cast change due to injury. Whether that's Calvert's original injury or Magri's injury that took her out of Five Brahms Waltzes last Friday is unclear. At least they've told us in time for ticket returns. I will now not be seeing SL 2 days in a row!

Is Naghdi one of the dancers guesting in America? Because I was rather expecting her to replace Magri if the latter is indeed the one who is injured.

I would imagine the injury they mention is Claire's as they've dropped all mention of Mayara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've had an email from Ballet Nights.  Magri and Ball are out of Ballet Nights this weekend too.

I was heartbroken to hear about this. A silver lining is Sangeun Lee and Gareth Haw will be doing the Swan Pas de deux along with their other duet.

• Like 1

A shame Magri and Ball are out of the Ballet Nights Programme I’ve been getting juicy snippets of them rehearsing for this on my Facebook page. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

A shame Magri and Ball are out of the Ballet Nights Programme I’ve been getting juicy snippets of them rehearsing for this on my Facebook page. 

It very much looks like they may be at Jacob's Pillow - should Magri be up to it at that time.

They should have gone for Nicol Edmonds plus a new ballerina in the first place, eg Lamb, Naghdi or Hamilton - all previous partners he's danced very well with. Odette-Odile or Siegfried two nights in a row is tough physically on the joints and muscles. Wishing Mariko and Joseph all the best for this challenge, and wishing all who are injured a speedy and full recovery, Claire Calvert included. Sangeun Lee and Gareth Haw are magnificent in any  pas de deux from Swan Lake - the Ballet Nights audience will be in for a treat.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

They should have gone for Nicol Edmonds plus a new ballerina in the first place, eg Lamb, Naghdi or Hamilton - all previous partners he's danced very well with. 

I suppose we have to assume that there just wasn't deemed to be the rehearsal time available at a very busy period to allocate to a completely new pairing. But it's very hard on Nicol Edmonds, since this wouldn't normally happen if one half of a partnership is injured. 

• Like 4

Do we know that Edmonds is fully fit?  I've been wondering when it was that he last danced Lysander (or was it Demetrius?), because I don't remember seeing him cast in the role in recent days.

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Do we know that Edmonds is fully fit?  I've been wondering when it was that he last danced Lysander (or was it Demetrius?), because I don't remember seeing him cast in the role in recent days.

I saw him on the 15th

Nicol Edmonds did get to do the lead role in The Winter’s Tale unexpectedly, so it may be that there wasn’t sufficient rehearsal time for him to rehearse with a new partner for Swan Lake, to the level that RB require.  I’m reminded that Sissens and Sasaki have been rehearsing Swan Lake since January. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I suppose we have to assume that there just wasn't deemed to be the rehearsal time available at a very busy period to allocate to a completely new pairing. But it's very hard on Nicol Edmonds, since this wouldn't normally happen if one half of a partnership is injured. 

I agree re: busy period, and agree re: very hard on Nicol Edmonds....especially being taken out of not one but two performances!

• Like 3