• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh do we assume Daichi and Liam Boswell will be dancing Bottom (or as my son misremembered the name when learning about the play at primary school, ‘Butt’) then?

4 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Ooh do we assume Daichi and Liam Boswell will be dancing Bottom (or as my son misremembered the name when learning about the play at primary school, ‘Butt’) then?

Puck, I would assume.  It's the obvious role for them (and for a few others).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, alison said:

Puck, I would assume.  It's the obvious role for them (and for a few others).

I actually meant Puck but my brain is fried today. Makes a lot more sense!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m now seeing Marco Masciari as potential for every role lol! But think he would make a great Puck! 

Absolutely - I really hope he's doing it and hopefully I'm somehow booked to see him, though of course they don't announce Puck's casting ahead of time.

On 16/05/2024 at 13:02, Jan McNulty said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Conran

I'm just thinking black leather (David Bintley's Edward ll)!!!!

He also designed (to my eyes) stunning costumes for a Scottish Ballet production (by Galina Samosa) of Sleeping Beauty and the set and costumes for her Swan Lake.

There’s an interesting documentary about his designs for Galina Samsova’s Swan Lake on IPlayer called Ex-S Styling the Swan.  It’s well worth a watch if anyone hasn’t seen it.  You can even spot a baby faced Daria Klimentova too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I’m now seeing Marco Masciari as potential for every role lol! But think he would make a great Puck!

It feels like Boswell, Ikarashi & Masciari have all been cast in all the same roles this season so if the other 2 are doing Puck then I bet he will be too. And having seen Masciari & Boswell as Brother Clown in Winter's Tale I'm betting on Ikarashi doing that role in one of the other 2 casts.

• Like 3

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why is it that the Ashton triple bill is not being included in the live cinema broadcast?  I don't think the last one was either.  So frustrating because I was away from London for the last one, and will be so again for the current one.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why is it that the Ashton triple bill is not being included in the live cinema broadcast?

Only a guess, but perhaps because there are two mixed bills, plus Sarasota guesting in one of those bills, they could not sort out the rights to broadcast. Which is a shame

• Thanks 2

I too thought it was something to do with the rights. Unfortunately Ashton rights can be complicated, scattered as they are between different owners and possibly inherited ownership. Having said that, Sarasota streamed a very comprehensive Ashton selection during lockdown so they managed it, though some were excerpts rather than completed works.  Whatever the reason, its a shame that the biggest selection of Ashton works performed at the ROH for quite a while isn't being recorded in any format at all.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

I know this is in the links from a few days ago but found this interesting to highlight more information on the Sarasota programme, including some casting details: 

https://www.gramilano.com/2024/05/photos-sarasota-ballet-frederick-ashton/

Confirms that for the Saturday evening gala RB dancers will join:

Ashton's Dance of the Blessed Spirits will be performed by Royal Ballet Principal dancer Vadim Muntagirov, while Royal Ballet dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Gary Avis perform alongside dancers from The Sarasota Ballet in Façade.

also clarifies what the “diverts” are on the programme for Thursday/Friday/Sunday

The second mixed programme also includes Valses nobles et sentimentales alongside Façadeand a series of divertissements: Friday's Child from Jazz Calendar, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Pas de Cinq from Illuminations, La Chatte, and the Balcony Pas de Deux from Romeo and Juliet.

So you’d have to go three times to see everything! Unfortunately this isn’t possible for me but I’m very much looking forward to the Dante Sonata programme and the Saturday gala.

the article also has some good photos of the sets/costumes too. Really whets the appetite for me (already very high!) for the programme. 

I really like the look of Dante Sonata and Sinfonettia (the latter looks a bit like Monotones?) and excited to see Vadim in the gala programme. 

(I really hope they do a proper programme as well with some information on these works. Not a sort-of folded a3 cast list type of thing which I’ve seen sold for £6 at the Linbury before…I was honestly shocked someone would pay that for essentially a piece of paper with no additional information than available online!) 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4