Any recommendations for European vocational ballet schools for a 16 (17 on entry) year old dancer, with a classical focus, limited funds unfortunately $$.
We are from Australia so need to be able to video audition. I’m grateful for any guidance or experience as I don’t know much at all! Thank you!

Paris Conservatoire 

Dutch National Ballet Academy 

European Ballet School

John Cranko

Brussels International Ballet School

Princess Grace

Berlin State Ballet School

Think a video is required for first stage but some will definitely want you in person for the final.

We have experienced EBS and have knowledge of NBA if you want to pm me?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. We are looking at European schools post GCSE.  John Cranko European and Dutch National mainly.  Trying to find how many each take each year and struggling to find information.  Can anyone help please? Thank you 😊🙏🏻

There are around 24 students (boys and girls) in each year of Associates Degree 1 and Associates Degree 2 at Dutch National Ballet Academy. Some come from the top year of their regular school (National Ballet Academy 7). Some international students enter during that last year of their regular academy. NBA7 students have to audition to be admitted to AD1. In the past couple of years the Junior Company has usually taken 4 girls and 2 boys from AD2 into the Junior Company. Most Junior Company members end up in the main company after 2 years. Some have jumped up after 1 year in the Junior Company. It’s nearly impossible to join the main company without going through the Junior Company. The recent hires from outside have mainly been dancers who were previously dancing in Russia.

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Princess Grace Academy’s final exams 2024 can be viewed by the public again this year, pay per view for €5

https://bmcstream.com/apg-final-exams-2024-144?fbclid=PAZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAaYwzscHKBixq3U4D5RzuHUMmPtN7XyQSNdDfhfoDs21sBx7cgs66CkNsPw_aem_AQjXg_d14sWlqnaMSV6ZYfDdVKGg7FgG1kbX8g0lxveDVNBBXSqgrbQT6fJpM6o8bFi9y0egxmkUgcFC1nlmEvmD#

Stunning performances as usual, the school very transparent and proud of their students (they have in the past also streamed via Instagram classes and performances).  

More and more British and British-trained dancers seem to be attending their intensive courses (which also act as an audition for those above a certain age), so perhaps we will see a British student there soon. I can only recall one ever in the last few years, though numerous vocational students seem to audition every year. 

4 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

More and more British and British-trained dancers seem to be attending their intensive courses (which also act as an audition for those above a certain age), so perhaps we will see a British student there soon. I can only recall one ever in the last few years, though numerous vocational students seem to audition every year. 

I attended PGA towards the end of Besobrasova's directorship (so not in the last few years 😉) and although it's much more accessible to English speakers these days I think there is still a certain reluctance for British students to study abroad, which may be  partly because there are so many dance schools and training opportunites in the UK in comparison to other countries. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

I attended PGA towards the end of Besobrasova's directorship (so not in the last few years 😉) and although it's much more accessible to English speakers these days I think there is still a certain reluctance for British students to study abroad, which may be  partly because there are so many dance schools and training opportunites in the UK in comparison to other countries. 

My daughter would love to train abroad! Just hope this British passport of hers, doesn't hold her back from any opportunities she may be lucky enough to get. 

• Like 1

My daughter had an offer to train in the US. I’m so pleased she didn’t take it and opted to stay in the U.K. and do A levels alongside her ballet training. If she hadn’t she wouldn’t be where she is today. You never know if something is going to come along that may change your direction. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that if you have an EU passport you can stay all year round but if you don’t you have to follow the EU rules of only staying for 3 months then not retuning for 3 months. I know an American girl who did this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

My understanding is that if you have an EU passport you can stay all year round but if you don’t you have to follow the EU rules of only staying for 3 months then not retuning for 3 months. I know an American girl who did this. 

Completely true. Sadly!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Is this from 16 yrs ? And does this apply to all European schools? 

so you go in September come home beginning of December then return again Feb/ March? That’s crazy and I’m surprised they accept UK students under this premise . Looks like USA is a more feasible option then? 

40 minutes ago, Flower said:

Sunrise, I was wondering what level children should be at to apply to such places at age 16?

My dd is currently at vocational school, so whatever level that is?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The red shoes said:

I believe in the case of ESB it’s because it’s not registered as a school with the relevant ‘education’ bit necessary and therefore student visas aren’t available. Other European schools are different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The red shoes said:

so you go in September come home beginning of December then return again Feb/ March? That’s crazy and I’m surprised they accept UK students under this premise . Looks like USA is a more feasible option then? 

It only applies to ESB as far as I know. 

31 minutes ago, Flower said:

Ok, thanks Sunrise.

Can anyone recommend any schools in France?

Anyone know if generally European schools are easier or harder to get into than UK ones?

Schools with an associated company are the most sort after, similar in standard to here but they do vary a bit. They are also the ones with the connections to YAGP/Prix de Lausanne. France has Paris Opera Ballet School and a conservatoire of Paris. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Schools with an associated company are the most sort after, similar in standard to here but they do vary a bit. They are also the ones with the connections to YAGP/Prix de Lausanne. France has Paris Opera Ballet School and a conservatoire of Paris. 

Thank you Kerfuffle.  Do you have anything else you can tell me about them? (Other than what is on their websites - I'm not asking you to fo the legwork for me!)

Dutch National Ballet Academy runs their upper school as an Associate’s Degree program through Amsterdam University of the Arts, so you can get a residency permit that covers the two years.

• Like 3

I don’t have direct experience of them but there are people like Birdy who do. My DD has friends who have come from several of them. Many of them recruit from YAGP competitions also so are very international. My DD was Russian trained for two years and was recommended certain schools abroad with that style of ballet (Zurich, the German schools) - they might also be better for a tall ballerina.  If you look at instagram and find recent graduates you can see what their performance is like. I don’t think you have to have trained in those styles before but there is a different emphasis in movement. Some nationalities like to stick to their own like French (POB), Denmark  where you have to speak Danish (a very difficult language).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

For the schools abroad that run degree programmes, can our dcs claim student finance from the UK?

Not vocational-school related but I don’t think so. I looked into this as my DS has uni offers from overseas and I don’t think SFE will cover it unless it’s part of a UK uni degree (for example, a year abroad or a sandwich course).

• Like 3

You don’t get funding if you study abroad but some countries have free tuition even to those outside EU. However there are still housing costs, living expenses and travel to consider. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 2