9 hours ago, Silver Capricorn said:

The Bolshoi and Mariinsky are showcases of the Putin regime and are run by his supporters. I understand that isolation is certainly not beneficial to the development of ballet art in Russia, that some dancers miss contacts with their colleagues in the West, that their personal and family situation did not allow them to leave Russia, but unfortunately, they are representatives of a criminal regime and should be viewed as such. Fortunately, my country is consistent in this regard, the planned performances of Polunin and Netrebko were canceled here. I'm also tired of these discussions, so I won't participate in them anymore.

Couldn't agree more - this isn't really about Russian dancers. This is about representatives of a Russian state organisation getting to enjoy the benefits of the West whilst the Government they represent wages an appalling war and commits crimes against humanity. The Russian State uses cultural and sporting institutions to burnish its image, to support its narrative of Russian greatness which it in turn uses to push its ultranationalist message. Sorry IMO we shouldn't be allowing this and I have no doubt that if the families of the people commenting in their favour had been displaced from their homes, had their loved ones killed, raped and tortured; and seen their children shipped off to be indoctrinated to hate them in a foreign country, they also would not be so positive about state representatives coming to the West to enjoy its pleasures and to perform like its a time of peace. 

• Like 10

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand people's passion around global conflicts & the human rights offences we see in so many countries.

Different governments have different perspectives.  The Australian government granted a visa to a Russian dancer.  People will agree or disagree with that but it is Australia's sovereign right to do so & for Australians to attend.

For that reason, I wonder if the valid discussions around these issues should be in a separate thread from performance news & reviews?

• Like 3

On 08/08/2024 at 13:58, Richard LH said:

"Russia seeks 15-year sentence for US-Russian ballerina" - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx2elj7v3z2o

I’m surprised more has not been said of this in here & elsewhere….

How a humanitarian aid donation of under £40 made - I believe - in USA can be trumped up to be treason is just appalling. How many of us lucky to reside here have at times been moved by video images from fundraising campaigns to donate to help those suffering in perhaps countries with which we don’t agree with their leaders/politics? 
This needs way more publicity & action. 

• Like 2

On the other side of the coin, it’s also terribly sad for Russian dancers here in the west, who might have danced in pro-Ukraine galas or made statements supporting Ukraine, who now cannot return to their homeland to visit families for fear of arrest or conscription.

But I agree this should perhaps be a separate thread.

• Like 5