Posted (edited)

The Sevastopol Opera and Ballet Theatre have responded with this statement:

(translation by Google)

"We officially declare that the theatre operates within the framework of Russian legislation. We do not allow illegal use of copyright.”

https://www.gazeta.ru/culture/news/2024/07/26/23543659.shtml

I do not know the Russian law that applies here.  I look forward to finding out more in due course. 

Edited by FionaM
Capitals
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, iolanthe said:

If it were so Russian ballet companies will continue to perform ballets without licensing.

https://www.martinchaix.com/blog/statement

They ask the famous choreographers like John Neumeier or Christopher Wheeldon, they ask the Balanchine trust and respect their copyrights, because they want to keep the good relations for future times. But they don't ask everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been learning more about copyright.  

I’m sure many here will be aware that there are intermediary not-for-profit organisations who handle performing licences and payments in countries around the world on behalf of musicians, authors, etc.  

As an example, one in the USA is called ASCAP ‘The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers’, and one in Russia is the RAO ‘Russian Author’s Society’.   

A video by ASCAP explaining what they do in simple terms:

This link shows ASCAP’s partner organisations globally, which include the RAO

https://www.ascap.com/help/international/affiliated-foreign-societies

These 6 pages on the RAO website (in English) list the many works of Philip Glass that are handled by the RAO.  
https://rao.ru/en/information-en/registers/register-of-works-of-foreign-rightholders/?work=&author=Glass+philip&pg=1

As the Sevastopol theatre say they have obtained licences for the music used (the score includes multiple composers, not only Philip Glass, and also includes original commissions and traditional Irish music), there is no reason not to believe them since we can see that mechanisms exist for them to do so.  

Video from the Bolshoi after the successful premieres of ‘The Tempest’ with choreography by Vyacheslav Samodurov and music by Yuri Krasavin.

The ballet is back on stage in October.  

All the hostages exchanged recently had been arrested on trumped up charges.  It is a ploy to ensure the return of dangerous Russians imprisoned in the US.  I imagine this poor woman has been incarcerated for use in a similar exchange in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

This link shows ASCAP’s partner organisations globally, which include the RAO

https://www.ascap.com/help/international/affiliated-foreign-societies

From the website:

RAO**

**As of March 2022, all ASCAP payments to RAO are suspended, pursuant to US government sanctions.

But I agree with MAB that Philip Glass's main concern is not about royalties and it is unethical, to say the least, of ASCAP to assume that works can continue to be used in Russia without checking it with the author first, definitely not for use in newly-created works. (admittedly, I haven't watched the video so do not know anything about how ASCAP works or how withdrawing/limiting the right to use certain works can be done in practical terms).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FionaM said:

As the Sevastopol theatre say they have obtained licences for the music used (the score includes multiple composers, not only Philip Glass, and also includes original commissions and traditional Irish music), there is no reason not to believe them since we can see that mechanisms exist for them to do so.  

I’m not that firm in copyright law, but in the US, as in Germany for example, you need to have a “grand rights licence” if you use classical/modern music for a ballet or a new dramatic stage work of any kind, even if it is just a movement of a symphony or a part of a work. That means that you need to talk directly to the organisation that holds Philip Glass’s rights – in the case of Glass that should be ASCAP or another one of the three American music rights organisations, who in this case and the war development surely would have asked the composer himself. The Russian RAO may grant the rights to play his music in a concert (though most Western rights organisations have cut their relations to RAO), but they may not grant that grand rights licence, the theatre and the choreographer surely know that. The music used in the Instagram trailer you linked is "Company", a string quartet by Glass. The short pirate video on Youtube from "Wuthering Heights" has at least three other Glass works, a Piano Concerto and a movement from a symphony, so it seems they used lots of his music.

And why should we doubt what Philip Glass said in his letter, and instead believe the Sevastopol theatre?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

12-year jail sentence for ballerina Ksenia Karelina. Appalling.

Controversial comment coming...

Yes but what did she think was going to happen?  The US State Dept has advised no travel to Russia for this very reason (eg trumped up charges.) Now she has gifted Putin another hostage and I'm sure she expects the US government to bail her out of her own poor judgment. 

• Like 2

Terrible news.

I read she is an amateur ballerina.  So I’m not sure why that’s necessary in the headlines. The media in West are using “ballet” as a weapon here. That’s denigrating PR to the general public for our beloved art.

This case probably highlights how difficult it is for Russians in the West including ballet dancers in ‘our’ companies to see their families.  I notice from Instagram posts that some meet up for summer holidays outside Russia.

And of course if any supported say Ivan Putrov’s galas for Ukraine then they’d surely be at risk of imprisonment in Russia.  Possibly any who made anti-Russian or pro-Ukraine statements coordinated by Alexei Ratmansky will also be at risk.  Those that kept quiet were wise, though they would have had to withstand immense pressure from ‘westerners’ to make statements.  Many in this forum insisted they do. 

On the other side, dancers who made pro-Russian statements or have visited Crimea since 2014 are on the infamous Ukrainian kill list, and will also be imprisoned if entering Ukraine.  If they don’t get killed by pro-Ukrainian activists first.  (Many of these dancers have Ukrainian family.).  

It’s a tragedy for all. Sigh. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Terrible news.

I read she is an amateur ballerina.  So I’m not sure why that’s necessary in the headlines. The media in West are using “ballet” as a weapon here. That’s denigrating PR to the general public for our beloved art.

This case probably highlights how difficult it is for Russians in the West including ballet dancers in ‘our’ companies to see their families.  I notice from Instagram posts that some meet up for summer holidays outside Russia.

And of course if any supported say Ivan Putrov’s galas for Ukraine then they’d surely be at risk of imprisonment in Russia.  Possibly any who made anti-Russian or pro-Ukraine statements coordinated by Alexei Ratmansky will also be at risk.  Those that kept quiet were wise, though they would have had to withstand immense pressure from ‘westerners’ to make statements.  Many in this forum insisted they do.

Good point re: "ballerina". I wonder how much attention would be paid to a xx year old spa worker, which is apparently her job.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Controversial comment coming...

Yes but what did she think was going to happen?  The US State Dept has advised no travel to Russia for this very reason (eg trumped up charges.)

Probably too naïve to realise just how deeply Russia keeps tabs on its citizens' behaviour (and others'?) outside Russia.  And I dare say it's far from the only country which behaves that way.

• Like 3

On 08/08/2024 at 16:07, Angela said:

And why should we doubt what Philip Glass said in his letter, and instead believe the Sevastopol theatre?

I guess the point is that both are true, even if they are incompatible.  It’s a consequence of cutting all ties by applying sanctions.  Westerns laws no longer apply in Russia, and cannot be enforced.  Philip Glass acknowledged that truth himself in his letter.  Wise.  Or well advised. 

2 hours ago, FionaM said:

Westerns laws no longer apply in Russia

The Russian Federation signed the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works in 1994. This is not a "Western Law" forced upon them. Philip Glass acknowledged that, at the moment, he cannot enforce in Russia an international treaty that protects his works and the works of other artists in 181 states that signed the Berne Convention.

The Bolshoi and the Mariinsky Theatre still respect the Berne Convention (mostly), so the behaviour of Jonah Cook and his company is not the normal behaviour among Russian dancers, impresarios or theatre directors now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed a certain thawing of Bolshoi/Mariinsky ballerinas ability to travel to the West over this summer - various people taking holidays in France and Italy and some even performing including Khoreva in Australia very recently. I was shocked tbh how easy it seems to be for a Russian to travel from Russia to the West for work or leisure purposes.

• Like 4

During the Cold War at one point no Russian dancers appeared in Britain for over ten years, though they did appear elsewhere.  This was due to a major falling out between the British and Russian governments.

A cold war and an actual war are two very different things.  For one European country to invade another with no provocation whatsoever is shocking beyond belief and the atrocities being committed by Russian troops (verified by the BBC) are sickening.  No civilized country should offer employment to Russian dancers other than those that have chosen to pursue a career outside of Russia.  A number of dancers have chosen to indulge in very high profile activities in support of this war so this is not a time to claim that art and politics should be separated, not when peoples homes are being destroyed, civilians being slaughtered, women being tortured and raped and children being kidnapped..

As someone with strong family links to Australia I'm shocked that they have invited a Russian.  The ballet world is a narrow one and I would hope that if the wider public there knew this was happening there would be a justified outcry.

• Like 8

On a related note, apparently Daniil Simkin and Maria Khoreva are dancing in Canberra on Monday night in the B.I.G. V gala. I have a ticket and am going, so will report.

Simkin has performed quite a bit with AusBallet since Mr Hallberg took over as AD. He does not seem to have trouble securing visas, possibly because he is not currently on the dancing roster of any company, let alone a Russian one.

• Like 1

Daniil Simkin's family left Russia when he was 3 years old. He has not lived in Russia since then. There is no problem on his side, but Maria Khoreva is the leading soloist of the Mariinsky Theater, and that is the problem.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Silver Capricorn said:

but Maria Khoreva is the leading soloist of the Mariinsky Theater, and that is the problem.

Not a problem at all. It’s great she is able to perform abroad

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Angela said:

The Bolshoi and the Mariinsky Theatre still respect the Berne Convention (mostly), so the behaviour of Jonah Cook and his company is not the normal behaviour among Russian dancers, impresarios or theatre directors now.

*cough* Ratmansky 

*cough* Maillot

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iolanthe said:

Not a problem at all. It’s great she is able to perform abroad

I agree. Maria also performed in Italy this summer (YAGP galas). Show me where she said that she supports Putin, and then I will agree with people saying that she should not be invited to Western countries. She joined the Mariinsky long before the war began. What is she supposed to do, leave her artistic home, friends and her family? Does this end the war?? I am so tired of these discussions!

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 5

None of the dancers anywhere are responsible for the wars happening, irrespective of whether they publicly announce that they support their government. 

One could argue that those living in democracies are responsible for their governments actions, due to the democratic election process. (eg.  Most of Europe).  Those living in countries where the elections are viewed as window dressing (Russia) are even less responsible for their government actions.

Frankly I personally feel powerless in a democratic country to have any influence over my govt’s actions whether I support them or not.   

and I agree with @Sabine0308 I’m tired of this discussion again in this group. 

• Like 4

I'm hearing reports back from Saturday's Ballet International Gala (BIG) gala in Melbourne, featuring: Maria Khoreva, Daniil Simkin, Iana Salenko, Marian Walter, Bianca Scudamore, Sharni Spencer, Marcus Morelli, Davi Ramos...   

"Absolutely amazing show!" Khoreva was viewed as a great technician, Daniil and ausballet's Marcus Morelli great showmen.  Iana Salenko was spellbinding. "I had tears running down my face as I watched her White Swan".

@Sophoife I look forward to your review!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, FionaM said:

Nikdo z tanečníků nikde na světě není zodpovědný za probíhající války, bez ohledu na to, zda veřejně prohlásí, že podporuje svou vládu.

Dalo by se namítnout, že ti, kdo žijí v demokraciích, jsou zodpovědní za činy svých vlád, a to díky demokratickému volebnímu procesu. (např. Většina Evropy). Ti, kdo žijí v zemích, kde jsou volby považovány za zástěrku (Rusko), jsou ještě méně zodpovědní za své vládní kroky.

Upřímně řečeno, já osobně se v demokratické zemi cítím bezmocný, abych mohl jakkoli ovlivňovat kroky své vlády, ať už ji podporuji, nebo ne.

and I agree with @Sabine0308 I’m tired of this discussion again in this group. 

The Bolshoi and Mariinsky are showcases of the Putin regime and are run by his supporters. I understand that isolation is certainly not beneficial to the development of ballet art in Russia, that some dancers miss contacts with their colleagues in the West, that their personal and family situation did not allow them to leave Russia, but unfortunately, they are representatives of a criminal regime and should be viewed as such. Fortunately, my country is consistent in this regard, the planned performances of Polunin and Netrebko were canceled here. I'm also tired of these discussions, so I won't participate in them anymore.

• Like 10