Northern Ballet (Oct, Nov 2023, Jun 2024): Beauty and the Beast - Nottingham, Newcastle, Norwich, Leeds

I'm not long home from a weekend in Leeds seeing the Friday and Saturday performances.

We really enjoyed all three performances greatly.  It is not as meaty a production as R&J has been all season but it has charm aplenty and it is most definitely family friendly.  I love the humour that David Nixon has injected into the piece but I especially love the incredibly moving duet that turns into a trio at the start of act 2 and the dream duet in act 1.  Of course the orchestra was MAGNIFICENT.

The casts we saw were Kevin/Dominique/Jonny; Harris/Saeka/Jack; Toni/Sarah/Filippo

For all that we enjoyed the performances we felt really flat coming home as it is the last time we shall see the magnificent Northern Ballet Orchestra for the foreseeable future and, if the orchestra does come back, will it be the same people we have been watching for years.  Surely Northern Ballet's management must have realised over the months since "the announcement" just how much the orchestra means to the audience.  At every performance I have attended since "the announcement" and despite the huge ovations for R&J it is the orchestra that has garnered the loudest and longest cheers.  Very best wishes to all the orchestra members - YOU WILL BE MISSED.

I do hope that the use of live orchestra for Jane Eyre next spring marks a revival of live music for the company and that the full orchestra will be reformed (even if different players have to be employed).  

If you haven't already please consider signing the petition, writing to the CE of Northern Ballet, The Arts Council, your own MP and anyone else you can think of.  Ask everyone you know to do the same.

Petition:  https://musiciansunion.org.uk/news/sign-the-petition-to-keep-northern-ballet-music-live

#keepnorthernballetlive

IMG_4855.thumb.jpeg.c4e8bc8f47f993624d4dfc91325b3a82.jpeg

• Like 6